PDA

View Full Version : Asking a favor

betchatoo
04-12-2005, 03:41 PM
There is another thread here on strengths and weaknesses. One of my admitted weaknesses is that I am not a good trip handicapper. I never seem to get the flow of the race that some of my friends do. That being said, I wondered if someone who studies replays could look at the 1st at Beulah today and explain the trip on the 6 horse, City Ridge. It seemed to me the jockey was trying different ways to lose, but I admit to not being objective. I had a sizeable wager on the horse at nearly 40-1.

I don't doubt there was something I missed and I would appreciate any help I could get on this

46zilzal
04-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Lawlor publications did a very good tape showing ("Trip Handicapping") HOW to look for the MAJORITY of things that happen during a race and was a real epiphany for yours truly many years back. Used footage of many many contests with multiple examples of each type of trouble and allows one to SLOW it down to KNOW what to look for. Might be available on line or e-Bay

WJ47
05-02-2005, 03:15 PM
I found this thread a little late, but I watched the replay and I think that race was a heartbreaker if you bet City Ridge. The jockey obviously had a ton of horse and I'm not sure if it was intentional or just bad racing luck, but he went hugely wide on both turns, so wide on the second turn that the announcer made mention of it. He tried to come on later in the race and was too late and then the jockey let him fade, probably because he knew he was beaten and didn't want to punish the horse unnecessarily. Did this horse run again since? I'd say that he'd be a very good bet next time out. I think that was pretty sharp on your part to have even considered a 35/1. I have had that happen too and had a big longshot finish 2nd or 3rd or have terrible luck, and the next time he runs, his odds are much worse. I'll bet that trainer was really aggravated, he probably had some money on him too and those odds were meaty!

betchatoo
05-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the response. I haven't seen the horse run since and I've been looking. I'd like to see a jockey change on him next time.

WJ47
05-02-2005, 11:29 PM
I tried to find him, but apparently there is a horse in California by that name too when I went to look him up on Racereplays. I'd like to see a different rider on him too, he'll be a good bet next time. That poor horse had a horrible trip to say the least.

Buddha
05-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the response. I haven't seen the horse run since and I've been looking. I'd like to see a jockey change on him next time.

he ran on 4-27 at BEU and run 6th, beaten almost 14 lengths at 16/1. There was a jock change to E. Collazo Sr.

WJ47
05-03-2005, 01:49 AM
Thanks, Buddha! All day I've been wondering about that horse because the 4/12 race really looked like he may have had some terrible luck. I guess the jock change didn't help too much. I just took a look at the past performances from the DRF. The odd thing is that the form listed Navarro as his rider for the 4/27 race (I wonder if Navarro was injured or sick), and E. Colazzo was supposed to ride Groovy Rocket, and Paucar was supposed to ride Eastern Storm. But according to the results, Colazzo rode City Ridge, and Paucar rode Groovy Rocket and Eastern Storm was scratched.

I also looked at the lifetime past performances for this horse, and it appears that the only races he's ever done well in are in short sprints. His only two wins came at 5 1/2 and 4 1/2 furlongs. The last two races, the trainer has been trying routes. I'm not sure why, maybe he feels the horse is a router or is trying to build his stamina. But the trainer is 0% so who knows if he knows what he is doing or not. I put him on my watch list, I'm kind of curious to see what is going to happen with him next. If they enter him in a short sprint, I may put a little money on him. The 4/12 race was intriguing, but in the other races, the horse showed terrible form. At one point, the horse must have looked like she would be a good one, she went off as the favorite in her very first race and continued to have relatively low odds until she finally broke her maiden in her 9th start.