PDA

View Full Version : SA DERBY: Juvy Champs Meet

DerbyTrail
04-08-2005, 10:18 PM
The 68th Santa Anita Derby pits juvy filly champ against a field of nine sophomore colts Saturday. Owner Marty Wygod seems intent on running the 6/5-0-1 amazon against the boys in the Derby, and needs only a competitive performance from her to make arrangements for a charter to Kentucky.

BC colt champ Wilko seems freshened from tredder trouble based on his pre-race morning efforts, but drew wide in the Arcadia feature. The pair have no need to gather graded earnings Saturday, but could inhibit Don't Get Mad, Wannawinemall and Buzzard's Bay in their quest for a Derby berth.

SANTA ANITA DERBY, 9f, Gr. I, $750,000, All carry 122 except
Catomine, 117

2 GIACOMO (Shirrefs/Smith) 5-1: Rock solid Holy Bull son refuses to go away with Felipe show and Sham/HOL Futurity placements too good to ignore last three. Third off break try nearly guarantees quality run given Shirrefs record, and rail allows Smith every opportunity to utilize grey's tactical style. Super roundout puts likeable colt in the Derby, and we don't know anyone who's rooting against him.

3 SWEET CATOMINE (Canani/Nakatani) 7/5: Heavy favorite tries to emulate Winning Colors, Silver Spoon here and cannot recall filly who has elicited such diverse argument in recent years. Is she off form versus '04 dominant form or has she been playing possum with inferior competition? Reality is that SA Oaks effort was more impressive than anyone cares to give her credit for. Pace scenario suits her stalk and pounce style, and only needs honest try to move on to Churchill.

4 DON'T GET MAD (Ellis/T. Baze) 7/2: 2nd of B. Wayne Hughes horses running today (with Greeley's at IL Derby) has made the most of four race career banking $60k in Vincente 2nd and Felipe show. Along with Going Wild and New Yorker, the horse we most want to see make Derby field. Can get job done with proven turn of foot and serious late kick, but is amongst group of runners in similar fig territory. Pace scenario a bit of a quandary, but think Baze has Stephen Got Even bat involved no matter how things evolve. Player, but must step up.

1 ALLRIGHT (Hines/McIngvale) 30-1: Speed side of Mattress Mac entry broke maiden last outing in San Fran grass heat. Overmatched today, but may only be present to set up barnmate.

5 GO COYOTE JOE (Stute/Pedroza) 30-1: Respectable Vicar bay was OK 4th last graded visit in Declan's Santa Catalina stretches out here for red hot Stute. Needs fig boost to impact.

1a CUSTOMER (Hines/Douglas) 30-1: Hopeful half of Hines/McIngvale entry is still looking for diploma boasting loses to Greeley, Uncle Denny and Standing Brave en route. Must reach uncharted heights today to cash check.

6 GENERAL JOHN B (Stein/Court) 20-1: Yet another longshot tries to regain form that yielded TuP Derby laurels before unpleasant FOY visit to Florida. Court reunites with Sweetsouthernsaint gelding who requires form reversal to reach top of chart today.

7 A.P. ARROW (Lukas/Valdivia) 20-1: Field's most intriguing member exits lone career start where he posted 86 Beyer and Thoro-Graph single digit while 7 lengths behind runaway winner. A.P. Indy/Paulson red features 410 Tomlinson tab confidence of DWL. Wouldn't be surprised to see this one head to Lexington no matter what he does here. Exotic booster.

8. WANNAWINEMALL (Mulhall/Solis) 15-1: Camino runner up gets hot pilot for Derby shot at big time and has had our heart from early on. Needs to move forward off paired-up last pair, but bleeding revelation lends hope. One of our favorite Derby hopefuls.

9 BUZZARDS BAY (Mullins/Guidry) 12-1: Double digit tab attractive on GG Derby winner that reiterated credentials in Camino 3rd after Risen Star fiasco in New Orleans. Has worked handsomely prepping for this and refuse to dismiss Mullins entirely. Interesting candidate.

10 WILKO (Dollase/Dettori) 9/2: Juvy winner may finally be back on track after training setbacks and hoof issues slowed '05 campaign launch. Sparkled 4/1 in 1:10.3 drill, but must overcome wide draw in field that will keep him on toes from the opening bell.

SELECTIONS:

1. Giacomo: Today's the day for colt that deserves respect
2. Sweet Catomine: Capable of top tab if Canani played possum.
3. Don't Get Mad: Pace may diminish late runner's effort.
4. Wilko: Juvy champ just looking to exit this in one piece.
5. Wannawinemall: Got glowing endorsement this week from Stevens.

Que
04-08-2005, 10:52 PM
DerbyTrail,

Another great report. I've really enjoyed reading all of your posts this year. I also hope you're right and that GIACOMO finally gets the credit that he deserves, but he is going to have to earn it since his competitors aren't going to leave much on the plate. Again... great work!

Best regards, Que.

kingfin66
04-08-2005, 11:59 PM
DerbyTrail,

Another great report. I've really enjoyed reading all of your posts this year. I also hope you're right and that GIACOMO finally gets the credit that he deserves, but he is going to have to earn it since his competitors aren't going to leave much on the plate. Again... great work!

Best regards, Que.

I'll second that Que. Thoughtful analysis with a literary bent is always nice to read. Derby has a knack for cutting through the hype and writing a nice, concise analysis.

DerbyTrail
04-09-2005, 10:29 AM
I'll second that Que. Thoughtful analysis with a literary bent is always nice to read. Derby has a knack for cutting through the hype and writing a nice, concise analysis.

Thx Que/Fin.. I appreciate the kind words and am glad "DT" has been welcomed here. I don't know why I never came around more often. I've learned a lot from reading everyone else's stuff here, and am quickly catching up on Sartin thanks to you guys..

Regards for a "big" day of ticketing cashing!
Steve

chickenhead
04-09-2005, 12:34 PM
"7 A.P. ARROW (Lukas/Valdivia) 20-1: Field's most intriguing member exits lone career start where he posted 86 Beyer and Thoro-Graph single digit while 7 lengths behind runaway winner. A.P. Indy/Paulson red features 410 Tomlinson tab confidence of DWL. Wouldn't be surprised to see this one head to Lexington no matter what he does here. Exotic booster."

I'm sure everyone noticed this, but for any who didn't, 2 Horses from this guys maiden, Storm Wolf (103) in OC100K and 4th place finisher in MdSpWt running on the undercard, if Storm Wolf runs big again have to upgrade this guy's shot as an exotic player, cause it looks like he caught a monster in the last.