PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions

tabbencas
04-07-2005, 05:56 PM
I m just recently finished reading Tom Brohamer s "Modern Pace Handicapping" and am now a disciple of pace handicapping.I know I still have a long way to go but it s like I ve got a new outlook on handicapping and realize I can beat the races.My problem is that it s extremely time consuming to come up with all the figures.Is there any software that can be purchased to help with this?I hope this is not a dumb question.I know there s software out there but does any of it fit into the way Brohamers way of doing things or do I just need to stick to doing the old fashioned hard work.Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have. Gary

Dick Schmidt
04-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Check the thread from "Stealth" labled "Pace Programs". Last post to it was just a day or two ago. It discusses the two programs that best fit with Brohamer's approach to handicapping.

Dick

ratpack
04-07-2005, 09:10 PM
I know that the HandY Capper from Cynthia Publishing is heavily based on pace.

Kreed
04-07-2005, 10:01 PM
I am sure of this: ~100% sure. No system can win unless it has sorted out:
(1) SPEED (2) PACE (3) Track Variants (4) Track-2-Track speed. Period.
i am 100% sure of this, and I ONLY need a TV to prove it.

Secretariat
04-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Don't agree Kreed. Speed is the first thing people look at and play. Class is second and Pace is third. There are other ways to win.

Lasix1
04-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Don't agree Kreed. Speed is the first thing people look at and play. Class is second and Pace is third. There are other ways to win.
Other things being equal, use whatever is underbet. If everyone's on the final time horse, bet pace; if everyone's on the pace horse, bet final time; if everyone's on the class horse, bet speed or pace. If everyone's on the horse that has all three and is going off at 3/5, pass. You'll make money in the long run. ;)

LARRY GEORGE
04-11-2005, 10:53 PM
GO TO WWW.TRACKMASTER.COM MAYBE THEY HAVE SOMETHING FROM
TOM BROHAMER

midnight
04-12-2005, 12:47 AM
HTR is simply a continuation and refinement of Brohammer's MPH. The developer, Ken Massa, was the one who worked with Brohammer to develop MPH.

HTR Website (http://www.htr2.com)

traynor
04-27-2005, 01:37 AM
tabbencas wrote <I m just recently finished reading Tom Brohamer s "Modern Pace Handicapping" and am now a disciple of pace handicapping.I know I still have a long way to go but it s like I ve got a new outlook on handicapping and realize I can beat the races.My problem is that it s extremely time consuming to come up with all the figures.Is there any software that can be purchased to help with this?I hope this is not a dumb question.I know there s software out there but does any of it fit into the way Brohamers way of doing things or do I just need to stick to doing the old fashioned hard work.Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have. Gary>

Suggestion: Get a TI-83 or similar graphing calculator, and load the calculations in. If you do it for one entry at a time, it is only a few lines of code. There are a lot of sources for the formulas involved, in BASIC, or TI, or several other languages. On a PC desktop, you can write the Q-BASIC pretty much intuitively, knowing little or nothing about "programming." They are only calculations, and that is what calculators like the TI-83 do best.

If you really get stuck, get on a TI forum, or ask on this forum. I am sure that there are a lot of handicappers using hand-helds that would be happy to give you a sample listing, or explain the process. Most of the early Sartin programs worked better on the Sharp hand-helds than they did on desktops.

If you want to learn pace, understand that most of the decisions you will make need to be intuitive; the more you rely on mechanical rules for pace line selection, the more you will limit yourself. In short, don't automate yourself out of a profit. Pace handicapping is easy, if you stick with one or two ratings, learn how to qualify contenders, learn how to pick pace lines, and build your pattern recognition skills.

The bottom line is that the more you rely on a computer application initially, the longer it will take to develop proficiency. Granted, calculations of pace lines with a calculator is a pain, but a few lines of code and a TI-83 can definitely ease that pain. The time you spend initially mastering the processes involved will be well rewarded.
Good Luck!

46zilzal
04-27-2005, 02:33 AM
"Pace handicapping is easy, if you stick with one or two ratings, learn how to qualify contenders, learn how to pick pace lines, and build your pattern recognition skills."
Could not agree more

Whatever approach you take PLAY ON PAPER a good long while before you plunk down anything but Monopoly money.

Light
04-27-2005, 11:33 AM
tabbencas said:just recently finished reading Tom Brohamer s "Modern Pace Handicapping" and.....realize I can beat the races

Don't get your expectations up too high.I felt the same way you did after reading his book 10 years ago. While I still use his methods today, I can tell you that by themselves,Brohamer's figures produce a negative ROI.

traynor
04-28-2005, 01:57 AM
light wrote <Don't get your expectations up too high.I felt the same way you did after reading his book 10 years ago. While I still use his methods today, I can tell you that by themselves,Brohamer's figures produce a negative ROI>

That is going to be fairly common whenever a lot of people pick the same horses. The approach I have found the most successful is a blend of pace analysis with inspection handicapping (an extended view of trip handicapping that includes not just the race, but the physical appearance and actions of the horses during warmups).
Thanks