PDA

View Full Version : Statebreds Wimps

maxwell
05-06-2001, 11:26 AM
I know statebred races are to get / keep owners at home and in the game, but c'mon !

Appealing Danger :

[S] n1x - win

[S] n2x - win

n2x - win

n2x [DH] for the win

Typo or only in NY state?

Observer
05-08-2001, 11:29 PM
maxwell,

I'm not sure of the specifics, but you really need to look closely at each individual race condition ... not just the abbrevation. New York has had many races through the winter written as (for example):

Non winners of 2 races other than Maiden, Claiming, Starter or Restricted / or 3 races lifetime.

Most of the time, you would normally see races written "other than M-C-S" .. the Restricted opens a whole new door for state-breds. I'm figuring that's the case with Appealing Danger.

I don't have his lifetime pp's, but I'll say since he has five career wins, one has to be his maiden score, plus the four you mention, one in N1X-NYB, one in N2X-NYB, and two in N2X-open. Now, I'll take a guess and say those open races were written with the restricted clause, thus he was eligible for the same N2X condition twice since he had wins in Maiden company and two NYB (Restricted) races. His first open company race counted but still left him open for the N2X condition again, as long as the Restricted clause was there the second time around. The X symbol just means "other than" and there is no clarification other than to go back and look at the actual race condition.

If you notice his race Sunday, that race was written for "Non winners of 3 races other than M-C-S-R / or 4 lifetime." Some trainers are very crafty about reading conditions and finding just the right spot for their horse.

maxwell
05-09-2001, 07:16 PM
It's strange that there is no restriction for open X races but there is [R] for stakes races?

Some allowance races inform players that it is a restricted race where purses are concerned: N$Y

I don't agree with N$Y because it allows top-class stakes horses to tune-up at the expense of owners / trainers / jocks who need those purses.

Observer
05-10-2001, 12:03 AM
Forgive me if I'm taking your message the wrong way, but the allowance races we're talking about, regarding "other than M-C-S-R," aren't putting restrictions on races, they're actually opening the door for more horses to be eligible to meet those conditions.

The types of races you mention, like N$Y, that would be a restriction based on a speficied amount of money earned over a specified amount of time.

Either way, though, I think you're right and there should be some destinction when races are written differently. Some "other than" allowance races are written as "Non winners of a race other than Maiden or Claiming" ... some as "other than Maiden, Claiming, or Starter" and others as Maiden, Claiming, Starter, or Restricted." These should not all just be represented by a wide sweeping X symbol, but there is only so much room on the past performance lines of a horse.

But, keep in mind, race conditions can get as creative as a Racing Secretary chooses.