PDA

View Full Version : Details of the US Energy Plan

Bobby
04-07-2005, 12:13 PM
This will save 10,000 barrels of oil a day.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/07/daylight.saving.ap/index.html

Lefty
04-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Makes more sense to drill in Alaska. Over a million barrels a day there!

kingfin66
04-08-2005, 12:32 AM
This will save 10,000 barrels of oil a day.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/07/daylight.saving.ap/index.html

10,000 barrels is 10,000 barrels but it really doesn't do much for our long term energy needs. Drilling in Alaska, or wherever the oil is, would help more. It isn't the most popular thing to do, but it necessary. 22 million barrels a day. That's a lot of oil...

Kreed
04-08-2005, 04:07 AM
LOL. Extending Daylight Savings Time --- and he gets paid for that? I think
politicians sometimes think they must pass/say something, anything, and thats
why we get such screwy legislation.

Bobby
04-08-2005, 11:37 AM
yea, I know extending daylight savings time. :D :D

How about get out of IRAQ? That's an energy plan. Guarantee ya oil prices would drop at least some.

Lefty
04-08-2005, 11:48 AM
bobby, how? Iraq war has nothing to do with the industrial emergence of China and India. They now compete with us for the oil. Why not get on board with an energy pan that drills in remote desolate areas, and will provide us with a million plus barrels a day?

Bobby
04-08-2005, 11:50 AM
I'd betcha a $100 bucks gas prices would drop if the US got out of IRAQ. It would add much more stability to the markets. Right now it's just basically martial law over there.

Bobby
04-08-2005, 11:54 AM
That's probably the real reason why Jimmy C didn't get the invite to the POPE'S funeral. Those photo ops of bush and carter together would conjure bad memories: 2 parallel presidencies. Anyway,

from http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/08/politics/08bush.html?ex=1270612800&en=bd83935a2ff5bf67&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

Democrats say they intend to use the renewed focus on energy issues to revive their case that Mr. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, both of whom worked in the oil business, are more interested in helping oil companies than in helping consumers. And several recent polls suggest that the spike in oil prices and the resulting rise in gasoline prices have undermined Mr. Bush's political standing.

"When gas prices go up to the level they're at now, they are in some ways the economic equivalent of the color-coded terrorism alerts," said Geoff Garin, a Democratic pollster. "They work their way through into public opinion very quickly in terms of affecting people's opinions about the direction of the nation and raising the stakes on pocketbook issues generally."

An NBC News/Wall Street Journal survey published Thursday showed a drop in approval of Mr. Bush's handling of the economy to 41 percent from 46 percent two months ago. A USA Today/CNN/Gallup poll released this week found an even sharper drop, to 41 percent from 48 percent five weeks earlier.

ljb
04-08-2005, 02:21 PM
There was a lady from the oil industry on C-Span this morning. She said the oil companies normally make about 5 to 5 1/2 cents profit per dollar volume. Last year being a good year they made 7 cents profit per dollar volume. Translated this means the oil companies are showing a 30 to 40 percent increase in profits last year. Isn't it time we wrote our congressmen and asked for a halt in this gouging during these trying times?

PaceAdvantage
04-08-2005, 08:45 PM
gouging? How exactly do you believe gas prices are set....and by whom?

Lefty
04-08-2005, 09:02 PM
PA, it seems like when a business makes a profit the libs like to call it gouging.

Bobby, read economics 101. It's supply and demand, not the war in Iraq. In fact if we gei \tout of Iraq too soon and the terrorists manage to take over the oil fields then prices would go up even more.
We need to supply more of our own oil by drilling in the parts the dems like to think of as sacred.

Secretariat
04-08-2005, 10:32 PM
PA, it seems like when a business makes a profit the libs like to call it gouging.

Well, if it ws not gouging then the industries profits would remain relatively stable. The Dow Jones is down 1.6O% this year, but Exxon Mobil is up 21.2%. That is not a profit, but the gouging to the consumer of a commodity necessary for most Americans to function in favor of higher company profits.

ljb
04-08-2005, 10:35 PM
gouging? How exactly do you believe gas prices are set....and by whom?
What efficiencies have the oil companies performed to create a 30 to 40 percent increase in profit last year? Answer none. They have just used the increase in crude (since the invasion of Iraq) to pump up their prices.

Lefty
04-08-2005, 10:53 PM
sec, lbj, pigsimple, SUPPLY AND DEMAND. Capitalism, ya all.
Lets drill in Anwir and other places and increase the supply. Pigsimple!

kingfin66
04-08-2005, 11:50 PM
The current Rolling Stone magazine has an interesting, and also depressing, article about oil. It doesn't paint a rosy picture of the future as far as supply and prices. Unfortunately, the high prices are going to affect us much, much more than just at the pump.

PaceAdvantage
04-09-2005, 02:28 AM
What efficiencies have the oil companies performed to create a 30 to 40 percent increase in profit last year? Answer none. They have just used the increase in crude (since the invasion of Iraq) to pump up their prices.

You didn't answer my question. It was a very direct and simple question...you're not getting off the hook this easily.

Kreed
04-09-2005, 10:07 AM
I posted before that MOST LIKELY, "NO OIL, FOUND IN ALASKA, WILL EVER
MAKE IT TO THE USA PUMPS. EVER" ! don't delude yourself with that FLUFF.
When (IF) any oil comes out its going straight to Japan & only a few drops
maybe to California or Hawaii. Do you think its going to make $$ sense to
lug all that crude from Alaska to ummm, Idaho? Arkansas? THINK GUYS.
Oil companys are not stupid like NeoCons & Righties. They actually like making
money, not tossing it away. LOL.

Tom
04-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Bobby, explain to me how gas prices will drop if we pull out of Iraq?

Is our presence in Iraq creating the demand for oil in China? Is oue presence in Iraq somehow limiting capacity at the refineries?

You wnat a sure-fire way to reduce gas prices? Get you liberal leaders to stop blocking effort to build new refineries. That would incread cpacity. Talk to Teddy Kennedy aobut refusing windmills in his state, where he wants to remain the biggest wind bag. Talk to you people about always putting the spottd owls ahead of progress.
Then come talk to me about high priced gasoline.

Secretariat
04-09-2005, 11:20 AM
sec, lbj, pigsimple, SUPPLY AND DEMAND. Capitalism, ya all.
Lets drill in Anwir and other places and increase the supply. Pigsimple!

Lefty,

This is naive. The US Geological Services estimates 8 months of oil out of there at best. I posted this information before. It's even a moot issue. Congress and Mr. Bush have already signed off on drilling in ANWR and it is at least a decade away while contracts are handed out. If we got behind alternative energy such as hybrid technology we wouldn't need to do this, but it makes conservatives fell like they're doing something about the problem when in fact ANWR simply delays the problem about 8 months a decade from now.

Not sure what capitalism has to do with the limited flow of oil. Goldman Sachs projects a superspike of 100 a barrel in the coming future. Our economy which borrows 1/3rd of its annual budget from foreign countries has got to wake up and stop being ostriches. We need a large goverment commitement to converting our major energy source in this country. it's a shame because we could be a world leader in energy, create a cleaner environment, and create jobs. Instead we cowtow to the oil industry. While it's not surprising considering who is running the show, it is not in america's long term interests, and is a threat to our national security as any suicide bomber. Americans are starting to take note as the prices rise. The truth is they are going to continue to rise every year, and energy is going to outpace income until eventually we have a parallel to health care where those costs outpace the incomes of Americans. I don't know the answers, but I do know this current course is heading for disaster. Building more refineries doesn't address the long term costs, or the reliance on foreign oil or limited supply and energy demands from China and India. We have got to begin weaning off of oil onto other sources.

Lefty
04-09-2005, 11:42 AM
sec, its you libs who are the naive ones. Hannity cited sources that said a million to a million and a half barrels out of Anwir alone. We need to drill here.
Read and think. I didn't say capitalism had anything to do with limited flow of oil. I cited supply and demand. Guess I have to explain it to you. Limited oil+huge demand=Higher prices. And Kreed had the gall to call righties stupid?
The marketplace will prevail and we need to increase the supply by drilling in our own backyard. Pogsimple.

Kreed
04-09-2005, 11:57 AM
I think any OIL will not make it to the USA pumps.
Really --- Japan & China BOTH need oil badly. I'd say that > 90% on any
Alaskan oil will go right to Japan.

Bobby
04-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Tom,

Before Iraq, oil was $27 dollars a barrel. Today, it's $57. Although demand has admittedly increased in the last 3 years, it has not doubled like the price of oil.

Getting out of Iraq will reduce the cost of gas at the pumps b/c it will stabilize the region. And it should be the first step of Bushs "ENERGY" Plan.

Instead Bush wants to tinker with DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME. This has gotta be a joke, right?

Tom
04-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Bobby,

Before the war, I was 51,
Today I am 53.

Where's the connection?

PaceAdvantage
04-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Getting out of Iraq will reduce the cost of gas at the pumps b/c it will stabilize the region.

You're kidding, right? Leaving Iraq right now will stabilize the region? I don't think so....

Bobby
04-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Bobby,

Before the war, I was 51,
Today I am 53.

Where's the connection?

You guys are hard to believe. Do you all actually think IRAQ is producing oil at full capacity? Do you guys believe demand has doubled--like the price--since you in two years, when you were 51 years old. I don't think so.

The BUSH plan: drill Alaska for oil that we wont see for at least 10 years and then it will only be 2% of our usage, tinker with Daylight savings time, build new power plants. In other words, why bother? What effect is this REALLY gonna have? Do you think this accomplishes ANYTHING? I don't

This is not hard to figure out.

Lefty
04-11-2005, 07:07 PM
bobby, instead of making irrational statements please explain how leaving Iraq and the oil fields to the terrorists will help us.
And you say it will take 10 yrs if we drill at home. How long yuh thik it'll take if we don't start now?

Tom
04-11-2005, 10:32 PM
I'll be 54 in June.....and gas will be $2.75,

Seems to be a strong corelation here!
Is there a statistical term for this phenominon??:confused: :bang: