PDA

View Full Version : Customize your own algorithms

nucsub
04-24-2002, 09:39 PM
I have been writing software programs for years, with my handicapping program in its 3rd year. It's come a long way with very good results. In fact just recently John Pheasant wrote,

"Hey Joe. I joined Brisnet so I could download charts into your program a couple months ago. Now they have this handicap challenge going on and I won a thousand bucks last week. Check it out on their site. John "

"The guy from Brisnet wants to interview me for their newsletter. I wonder if it would be helpful to you if I mentioned your program? Although they are trying to sell their own software so they may not print it. I'm #3 in the overall standings so if I have a good week next week I may just win this thing."

Anyway, Here's what I'm working on next.... Since many people ask me about writing their own custom software, once I give the cost they run scared. Well, I think I have come up with the next best thing. Adding the feature to allow the user to enter there own algorithm on the fly... they would choose from various lists to develop the algorithm and then their custom handicapping would be integrated with the rest of my program. With my "Self-Tuning" program and the my "Track Performance and Results" program, they would be able to see how there handicapping algorithm performed. What do you think about this idea?

Imagine custom programming at a fraction of the cost and integrated into an already mature and succesful program!
Checkout my website and let me know what you thing.

www.jzambuto.com

tboles
04-25-2002, 06:55 AM
Joe this sounds very interesting.
Will we be limited to 1 algorithm?

nucsub
04-25-2002, 10:26 PM
I am thinking 3-4 custom algorithms? What do you think?

Pick from a selection of lists, ie

a list that contains key factors like,
trainer % win, % ROI, etc
Jockey
workouts
speed
BE
BLT
LE
LLT
BEATEN LENGTHS,
ETC

OTHER LISTs LIKE

+, -, *, /, ^, stn dev, avg, etc

create your own constants

then combine them using an acceptable syntax.

for example,

(AVG(BE+LE+LLT) * constant ) + (trainer+jockey)

You then have your own instant algorithm that can be use to handicap and with my other features you can see how well your algorithm does against literally hundreds of previous races. Tune it until your happy with the results.

WHAT DO YOU THING?

www.jzambuto.com

Myhorse1_X
04-26-2002, 10:44 AM
Joe:

Do you have some idea on cost of this program. I think it would be great and also useful to someone that would like to try out different things.
I for one would try it.

MyHorse1

tboles
04-27-2002, 12:04 AM
Joe sounds great! Something like this would really be a big
help especially the way I have been using the program.

Tony

nucsub
04-27-2002, 10:27 PM
Considering that the cost of a fully functional handicapping program could cost upwards of a few thousand dollars, I as thinking with the ability to fully test your custom algorithm using my self-tuning program I would charge $99.99 on top of the "full-blown" program being offered today. It's a fraction of the cost of developing your own custom program.

www.jzambuto.com

tboles
04-28-2002, 02:00 AM
Joe do you have any plans on when this might be available?

Myhorse1_X
04-28-2002, 09:30 AM
Joe:

Am I to understand that this will not be a stand alone program and that you must have your other program to use it?

MyHorse1

nucsub
04-29-2002, 06:19 PM
When will it be ready?

Well, I first have to un-couple what I presently have to allow for expansion and user defined algorithms. This is not a simple task.
I am hoping for the 1st release around the time of the Breeder's Cup.

Will it be a stand-alone program?

My initial thought was to just expand the capability of my existing program so the user can take advantage of the "Self-Tuing" program that will test the algorithms against an infinite number of past races and also the "Track Performance & Race Results" program that parses the results from "Equibase's full charts web screens (free) so that the test cases can be built rather simply with no cost to the user.

Although it could be a stand-alone program also.

www.jzambuto.com

modred
05-24-2002, 08:07 PM
What would be really good if someone would offer the source code built in Visual Basic for a front end to input the comma delimited files from BRIS or ITS or DRF, maybe all of them, and let those that are interested
write the rest; accessing the various parts of the data and eventually stuff it all into a database and build it from there.

Anyone know how to do this??

Slider
05-25-2002, 04:57 AM
Check with Dave Schwartz, this may already be included in HSH Pro.