PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP

so.cal.fan
04-24-2002, 06:12 PM
Can someone help me? I have a new PC. I am a former Mac user.
I have Windows XP and a Epson StylusC60 printer.
I have had to "teach" myself how to use this machine.
It is a bit confusing. I am having trouble printing programs off the Hollywood Park site. I punch print, and then it just stores it.
I have to shut down and resart and then, the page prints out.
I know I am doing something wrong.
Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
Thanks,

Diane:confused:

smf
04-24-2002, 08:38 PM
SCF,

I know there are more knowledgeable puter folk here than myself, and you've probably already tried this, but here's something to swing at...

-after you hit 'print' and the pages do not print, right click on the printer icon on the bottom right corner of your browser.

-then select whatever will trigger the pages to print. I think on my printer/ puter the command is 'purge printable documents'.

If that doesn't do the trick, someone here can help....lotsa puter whizzes around here.

Good luck.

so.cal.fan
04-24-2002, 11:57 PM
Thanks smf, I copied your suggestion and will try it tomorrow.
On another note:
I just got off the phone with one of the big gamblers at Hollywood Park. They are all talking about what happened in the first race today. Seems a two year old second time starter of Jerry Duttons was 9/2 at post time, "someone" from Maine (where??) bet $100,000 to win on her and she won easy and paid $2.80 to win and $6.00 to place! The exotics were normal for a 9/2 shot. Go figure that. I am always the one who defends the honesty of the game, but this is too much. Something is very crooked here. Someone is punching in these tickets and printing them-Late- like down the stretch!
Anyway, one of the trainers at Hollywood Park, Craig Lewis, asked how anyone could do this, he is a smart lawyer/trainer who commented: " he could never get a $100K bet down that late at a window" I agree. They are going to discuss this on all the So. Cal radio shows this weekend to be sure.
What do you think????

smf
04-25-2002, 12:38 AM
I think he shoulda bet win and place at those prices :)

Just kidding. It does sound strange.

I would like to have that bankroll though. 100k x 50 is ummmm...

I'd love to know HOW s/he made that wager? RStein's show outta be intersting Saturday.

JustRalph
04-25-2002, 01:01 AM
The fact that it usually reprints on a restart means that the document is either getting hung up in the spooler folder or you are not waiting long enough. Make sure you have the latest driver from this page:

http://support.epson.com/hardware/printer/inkjet/sc60__/index.html

You may want to check out this article also:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q282120

The fact that it prints after a restart means everything is technically physically ok. But the fact that it hangs means you are running out of memory or hard drive space, or the driver is just not playing well. On a restart you are refreshing memory and I don't think you are out of hard drive space for spooling (since you said you just bought it)

Also go to Start/settings/printers right click on the epson driver and go to properties. Look on the driver tabs, see if there is a way to either "print direct to the printer" or if it is already set that way, tell it to spool first and print after spooling. That printer can be a nightmare. It will also eat cartridges like there is no tomorrow. Upgrade to laser printer. They are much cheaper today. ;)

so.cal.fan
04-25-2002, 01:06 AM
Thanks, Ralph
My computer is not new, a guy put it together for me.
I am going to forward your comments and see if we can correct it.

andicap
04-25-2002, 01:13 PM
I have Win ME, which is a nightmare and eventually I'd like to upgrade to XP.
Can I hear the pros and cons here? And has XP worked out all the bugs yet? You know, at Microsoft, quality is job 1.1

so.cal.fan
04-25-2002, 01:45 PM
I am "hardly" an "expert on Windows anything,
but from what I have heard, the XP is working quite well.
I really like it, I just wish I understood my PC better.
I had to literally learn from scratch here.
I am on cable so, that works very well with it.

JustRalph
04-25-2002, 07:07 PM
Xp is great. ME is the worst product they ever released. Before upgrading make sure you run the compatibility test. It will tell you if your current hardware will work or not. Also make sure you can obtain XP drivers for your hardware. You can download the compatibility test from Microsoft.com. I am an expert on MSFT operating systems. I supervise a tech support department for a large retail computer retailer (19 stores all over the country) and its not Compusa.......

Tom
04-25-2002, 10:10 PM
Considering the crap Bill Gates puts on the market, ME must really be bad to get that distinction!

andicap
04-25-2002, 11:51 PM
Ralph,
how do I know I can get the drivers?

JustRalph
04-26-2002, 01:48 AM
Andicap
Lets Say you have a Wizbang 2000 Video Card made by Hooterville Video Card Company of Pixly Falls Idaho.

You go out to www.hootervillevideocard.com
and check their download section and see if they have drivers that are XP compatible. They normally would list them by operating system. Most of them nowadays have something right on the first page of their website that tells you about the "latest drivers" . Repeat the process for your

Loundandstaticfilled300 Sound Card www.loudandstaticfilled.com
Barely56kmodem www.barely56k.com
Slowas_a_motherNetworkcard etc. etc.

You get the point.

You can also go to the microsoft web site and check the hardware compatibility list for Windows built in drivers for your hardware. There are several sets of drivers that come with xp.

Try this page for the upgrade advisor: checks your hardware etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp Check the links on the left side of the page for even more info. Its a 30 meg download though.

If they all have WinXp drivers available or built in to WinXp you can then safely upgrade to WinXP. I also like to tell people that have a name brand computer like a "Gateway Cow Killer 2000"
to do a search at www.google.com with the key words
"Gateway Cow Killer upgrade Windows XP " you get the drift. If you get tons of hits on people trying to upgrade their Cow Killer to XP and they have tons of problems, you now are forewarned.
Another Good site to do this is: www.deja.com this is a compiled newsgroup forum. Same applies with any computer problem. Google Search- Deja Search may help you find an answer. If you have a specific error message, use that as your key words (well at least the first 5-6 words)

so.cal.fan
04-27-2002, 01:06 PM
Thanks to all for the good tips! (Gee, I wish we got as good of tips on horses as we do 'puters).
I replaced my printer, that a couple of people told me may have been defective. I got the same kind, Epson C60.
I set it up myself, with the help on a tech support from Epson, which was very helpful, as usual.
It is working fine, now.
I will keep your suggestion in mind about a lazer printer, Ralph, I know you are right. Next one I get.