PDA

View Full Version : Computer slow.........

BIG RED
04-04-2005, 09:20 AM
My computer is still running like the old dial-up, very slow. I have updated and swept with everything I have, registry cleaner/fixer,norton, 3 spyware detectors, virus sweeper, etc. etc., still goes slow. This is driving me buggy. I use msn-dsl verizon, W XP, and have IE & firefox. Any suggestions? I have to go to therepy now so won't be able to converse till I get back later today.

Thanks TOM

cj
04-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Can you increase your RAM?

maybe re-install Windows? Of course, have everything you need saved first, but if you have truly done everything else, maybe its time.

JustRalph
04-04-2005, 12:22 PM
boot up in "safe mode with networking" and see how it runs. If it speeds up....you have a software issue.........

BIG RED
04-04-2005, 12:47 PM
cj, Don't know what ram is, but pd. an extra $200 for more speed and memory on modum.

JR, already tried (remembered you said that before somewhere), and it was still slow in SM ?

BillW
04-04-2005, 12:53 PM
BR

RAM is memory (Random Access Memory).

If your slowness is in accessing web sites only - the problem cannot be fixed on your side if it is just a slow website (like Brisnet last weekend). It's kind of like placing an order via overnight mail to a company that takes 6 weeks to ship. The delivery time has nothing to do with how fast your order got there.

Bill

headhawg
04-04-2005, 12:59 PM
BR,

Is your machine slow in general, or just when you use your internet connection? What I mean is, this could be a machine performance issue or it could be your DSL connection. In other words, if you run an application (software program) does it run slower that you're used to?

If not, then go to www.dslreports.com and on the left side there is a section for speed tests. Choose a speed test and let me know what the numbers are (upload and download). Your download speed should be between 384kbps and 768kbps (roughly). If it's under, let's say, 100k, call your DSL provider and find out what's up as that indicates a connection problem to me.

HH

BIG RED
04-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Bill, every time I 'turn a page', it is slow downloading it, not just new sites I go to. Like here for instance. If I click over to selections next , it slows down .

I will try Exel next and see if its slow in there ?

BIG RED
04-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Sounds good hawg, can I do this with some windows open? (I'm betting today and would do it later if I have to)

BIG RED
04-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Just did that HH, came back 1089.44 k, must be good I take it.

Red Knave
04-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Hey Red

I know you say you checked this but it sure sounds like software/adware to me. The results from dslreports sort of bears this out. (Yes that is a pretty good number) Try to do the checks that you will see on their site as well. MTU size and other things can seriously help or compromise speed.
Also, clear out browser cache (for Firefox tools/options/privacy/cache -- for IE tools/Internet Options/Delete Files button) and make sure it's big enough. I set my Firefox cache to 100000 KB (100 MB) (for IE tools/Internet Options/Settings button). A friend of mine had his IE set to 5MB by some other software, what a difference when we reset it to 50MB.
As far as adware is concerned there is still some stuff out there that is really difficult to remove. Re-scan until all the adware is supposedly gone. It could take several tries.

Best of luck.

Kreed
04-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Listen, get practical man, just do what I do: if my puter annoys me I toss
it out literally, from my balcony unto 69th st ... yeah, maybe i've hit a few
taxis but it's liberating. Help the Economy, buy a new one.

BIG RED
04-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Red, yes cleared browsers of everything, will try the cache. And the adware, found a critical bug in one of them cleaners, spybot! Dumped it, got a new one, cleaned everything up again. Still slow.Thought I could fix it, guess I have to send it out.(my IE says 2400 mb )

Kreed, this computer is a year old and all I use it for is gambling and the web. And yes, this may be chucked by the end of the week.( I've had it. Now I remember what dial-up used to be like :ThmbDown: )

headhawg
04-04-2005, 06:49 PM
BR,

Ok, so it doesn't seem to be your connection. If you can remember, what was the last thing that you did before you noticed the slow down? Did you install a program or visit a naughty site? ;)

When was the last time you did a disk defragmentation? How much free space do you have on your hard drive? Just right-click on the icon for local disk and choose properties (or open up your drive in Windows -- not Internet -- Explorer) and the free space amount should be listed.

Do you have XP Home or XP Professional?

HH

KyRacer
04-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Here's a couple of links that might help you check out your computer. The first is Pcpitstop. It has some free test you can run. Lot of ads to sell you things but the free tests are good. I believe you have to use Internet Explorer to run the tests.

Home Page:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Free test page:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

There's also a free program called Belarc. It will give you a lot of information about what's inside your computer. Processor speed, memory, harddrive and motherboard information. It also give you a list of all programs installed on your computer.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

I've used both of these without any problems. Maybe they will help.

kenwoodallpromos
04-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Delete the cookies.

Red Knave
04-04-2005, 10:39 PM
found a critical bug in one of them cleaners, spybot!
Yeah, I remember a bit more now. The site my friend downloaded this from was not the author's site. The "spybot" that they downloaded was full of spyware. Took forever to get rid of it all.

BIG RED
04-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, tried them all. Did the PC tests and all came up fine but one minor problem, which I did get rid of. Can't figure this one out, time to ship it out or give it to someone. Thanks again.(Nice sites, by the way)

cj
04-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Why not just reinstall the OS?

Red Knave
04-05-2005, 02:14 PM
I also have installed the Microsoft Antispyware software that, I think, cj mentioned in a thread on this board a while back. It has a couple of other features that may help you see if some other software is hijacking your internet connection.

Free download at
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx