PDA

View Full Version : Any program that uses free Bris pdf info?

bobhilo
04-02-2005, 03:26 AM
Is there such a thing as a program that uses free Bris ultimate PPs?

I have used sartin's synthesis until I started looking at Briss PPs which point to similar horses...I realize ya gotta bet value...

Please don't post some wiseass reply about no black boxes....I have been reading the archives...santa ain't alive no mo..

.Dick Schmidt is at least honest about being sarchastic(and funny)

In 27 months with bris, I'm a 23.4% winner...so I can pick some winners...unfortunately I am a losing player(too many bets) or not enough value

as a newbie I appreciate any advice(don't bet losers)

thanks
Charlie in Jupiter FL

midnight
04-02-2005, 03:43 AM
BRIS has free past performances?

It would be quite a task to extract data from PDF files of any kind, and PDF past performance files wouldn't follow the strict format needed for a program to know where to look to get the appropriate data.

cj
04-02-2005, 03:44 AM
I doubt there is any program capable of using a PDF file to process data. I've asked BRIS if they plan on giving the DRF single files away as the do the Ultimate PPs, but it doesn't look like that is in the plans.

bobhilo
04-02-2005, 05:42 AM
i didn't think so...but free is nice...there is a lot of data in ultimate pps ...ya still gotta handicap and no one thing works all the time...free is good

wes
04-02-2005, 06:31 AM
http://www.stkusers.com (Freedocks)

Quickhorse (downloads the results charts and store in database)

wes

betovernetcapper
04-02-2005, 11:03 AM
You could use any program that used manual input. Manual input programs tend to be older and not have much resale value. Post in the software section. Another way to go is to design your own. Check out the 2 handicapping programs in Winning at The Races for ideas about structuring your data. Word of warning manual inputting gets old real quick.

highnote
04-02-2005, 11:11 AM
http://www.stkusers.com (Freedocks)

Quickhorse (downloads the results charts and store in database)

wes

According to a recent email reply I got from Equibase about viewing their free HTML charts in EXCEL, Freedocks would be in violation of their Terms of Service.

Anyone have any other thoughts on that?

Light
04-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Do a search "pdf to text" and you'll find there are several programs that convert PDF files to text files that you can then use in your programs.Haven't tried any myself.

cj
04-02-2005, 12:44 PM
I know they can be converted to text, but to try and write a program to manipulate the data, well, for me at least, no thanks.

First_Place
04-02-2005, 08:40 PM
"Word of warning manual inputting gets old real quick."

I have a few of Doc Sartin's manual input computer programs that I managed to 'find' just to get an idea of what the methodology was about and needless to say, entering the data from the racing form is tedious, tiring and slow. Plus the data you're entering is raw--not "normalized, equalized and adjusted." Any and all adjustments to the raw data is handled by the user. Btw, in what form are the adjustments? Feet per second? An adjustment in f.p.s. based on track variant, i.e., 15, 16, 17 = 0 or something similar? Any Sartinistas familiar with the old programs like Phase III, etc. care to shed some light?

Thanks if you can.

FP

Tom
04-03-2005, 12:33 PM
1st Palce - two ways I used to handle that problem:

1. I adjsuted the pacelines with my own hamemade variants, or exactly the way Brohammer outlined in MPH before I put the lines in the program.

2. Once Thoromation/Kgen came out, I would use Total Pace right out of the book and put in the top five using raw pacelines, then I let the automatic adjustment work its magic, unless the gap in Total Energy was over 2.0, then I would use the "2" adjust and equalize all horses' TE. The idea was that TP was extremly good at picking contenders, and the newer adjustments were more accurate thatn previous ones. I never was convinced the "3" adjust - the one that used the DRF variant - was that good.

A fellow member who I sat at the track with used the automatic period - if the TE was over 2.0 low, he made the horse live and die by it. He did ok betting that way, got different horses than I did, but he was winning.

Houndog
04-07-2005, 11:38 AM
I would like to add on what Tom has said about THOROMATION/KGEN program concerning Total Energy. I have also never used the #3 adjustment in this program. Most of the time I tried to use the #1 adjustment (automatic adjustment). When confronted with a race with shippers, different distances, etc. more often than not you would get the warning that the total energy difference was more than 1.75 or something like that. In this case you could use the #2 adjustment in which Tom has stated equalized total energy for all horses entered in the race. This is a very large adjustment, and when used properly it worked fine. The problem with many Sartin users (myself included) is that the #2 adjustment was being used way to often. This adjustment really benefits slow horses. That being said that adjustment has worked wonders in races such as the Kentucky Derby many times.

whobet
04-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Whobet uses the free BRIS files as input, does a Select data, copies to the clipboard, and then pastes into a ascii editor and saves it to the file system,
and then I have written a program to parse and process this data, I like this data, plus it's free, and they give you the horses name, not just numbers like 4-3-7-6, so you know the horse picks are for today, I Love BRIS free picks.

betovernetcapper
04-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Whobet-figured there must be some way of converting those files-impresive work :)

Bathless
05-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Another possibility is HTMASC, a very good piece of shareware. Available on ZNET, I think. Converts 'htm/html' files to text. But for the free Instant Programs from BRIS/TSN, whobet's method is better/cleaner.

I'm curious, whobet. What data do you extract from the free entries? I am assuming you use the free entries, because I haven't found any free full PPs available from BRIS or TSN, despite the heading on this thread.

Are you just after the Handicapper's Picks? If so, do you know how they are selected? I suspect a high correlation with the BRIS power ratings. In fact, I think that might be exactly what they're based on.