PDA

View Full Version : This teaches me not to listen to some people here....

PaceAdvantage
03-31-2005, 10:21 PM
'Cause I thought all along nobody out there liked this guy!!! Unanimous, eh?

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050331/world_bank_wolfowitz.html?.v=17

ElKabong
03-31-2005, 11:03 PM
:)

---The installation of Wolfowitz allows the Bush administration to puts its imprint on the development bank---

Secretariat
03-31-2005, 11:21 PM
'Cause I thought all along nobody out there liked this guy!!! Unanimous, eh?

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050331/world_bank_wolfowitz.html?.v=17

PA, many will vote for Wolfie. THat doesn't mean (a) he is a good choice or (b) they approve of it.

From your own article:

I think you get an excellent perspective on the vote from the English viewpoint below.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1448930,00.html?gusrc=rss

btw.. Elk's comment seems to imply that Wolfie is going to be a patsy for Bush policy at the World Bank. Perhaps, for once, he is right.

ElKabong
03-31-2005, 11:29 PM
No seccy, I wasn't insinuating such a thing. The fact that it rankles the liberals so much, such as it obviously does you, is a point of amusement to me.

Thus, you were wrong as usual Sec. CARRY ON. :)

The sooner you realize your liberal agenda is dead on the national level in America, the better off you'll be. Personally I like to see you twist in the wind in sheer agony over defeat so I'm cool with it. :)

kenwoodallpromos
04-01-2005, 12:22 AM
Daily show said they were going in alphabetical order. Nick Zito was next in line! LOL!

Secretariat
04-01-2005, 11:26 AM

---The installation of Wolfowitz allows the Bush administration to puts its imprint on the development bank---

Sure sounds like you're insinuating he will not be a free broker as the head of the World Bank, but will be "imprinting the bush adminstration on the development of the bank."

That doesn't surprise me. The EU is trying to mend fences and are accepting it. It doesn't mean they likes his appointment as the Guardian pointed out or Stiglitz pointed out who probably knows the world Bank better than anyone, OR as the World Bank employees pointed out.

It is simply a divissive appointment and a reward to a man who messed up on his WMD assessment AS the Presidential Comission appointed by Bush confirmed.

Bush claimed to be a Uniter, but has done nothing to Unite politcal parties or our European allies. His neocon platform is well outlined in the Guardian article.

ElKabong
04-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Bush claimed to be a Uniter, but has done nothing to Unite politcal parties or our European allies. His neocon platform is well outlined in the Guardian article.

Laughable. After he won the election straight up in 2000 the dems turned the process into a dog and pony show. Retracted concession by Gore, lawsuits, whining about "selected not elected"....At what point do you understand the dems didn't want to work with GWB, only to play smear politics. It happened before he even got in office.

His term as Gov of Texas was underlined with his ability to work both sides of the isle w/o bad blood. This, in a state where if Dems don't get their way they flee the state in order to shut down Govt's business of legislation. He could have crushed Bullock in the press and on the floor of the House, yet he extended a friendly hand to the old guard on his way out.

The fact you're in disagreement w/ Wolfowitz' new assignment pleases me. Guys like you still think the Dem party is significant, yet the last Dem Prez that won over 50% of the national vote was Jimmy Carter, almost 30 years ago....That's where your party and agenda is Sec... Stuck in 1976..

PaceAdvantage
04-01-2005, 07:40 PM

Sec, you do realize this is a direct quote from the yahoo article I linked to....you keep acting as if this is something Elkabong originated....

Secretariat
04-01-2005, 08:58 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050402/pl_nm/worldbank_wolfowitz_security_dc_1

“A confidential comment line set up by the World Bank Staff Association on an internal Web Site to let employees express their feelings about the nomination received 1,300 responses, according to an internal email obtained by Reuters.

The MAJORITY expressed concerns about the bank's reputation and effectiveness under Wolfowitz, including staff's ability to interact with clients in a less secure environment. “

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/oneworld/20050401/wl_oneworld/45361087861112388899

“Having calmed some questioners to win confirmation, Wolfowitz also will need to reassure bank staff of his commitment to the institution and its goals, insiders said. Bank staff, in an unprecedented move, voiced discomfort with his nomination and demanded a say in the confirmation process. Privately, some of the lender's 10,000-odd workers spoke of feeling dispirited by his appointment, and of being fearful that the bank's reputation--and that of staff members--will suffer.

One official summarized the feeling thus: The appointment of Wolfowitz, among the most visible U.S. foreign policy hawks, has been a blow to the bank's reputation and to staff members' self-image as poverty-reducing multilateralists. “

These were also direct quotes from Yahoo articles from today.

ElKabong
04-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Sec,

Big deal. Some don't like Wolf's nomination. If Bono was nominated he'd get some doubters as well. As Trotter said in the Jockey Club, "BIIIG DEEEAL". :)

Your agenda hasn't produced a majority vote Prez winner since Tony Dorsett won the Heisman Trophy. Darrell Royal was still coaching the Longhorns. John Wooden coached the prior year......Dude, that's a long time ago. Give it up, America decided to CHANGE long ago without you.

You get the message?? Your agenda lives no more. Wolfowitz will gain the post, and other GWB initiatives will pass. Deal with it or continue to be miserable. Your choice.

Secretariat
04-02-2005, 12:55 AM
Sec,

Big deal. Some don't like Wolf's nomination. If Bono was nominated he'd get some doubters as well. As Trotter said in the Jockey Club, "BIIIG DEEEAL". :)

Your agenda hasn't produced a majority vote Prez winner since Tony Dorsett won the Heisman Trophy. Darrell Royal was still coaching the Longhorns. John Wooden coached the prior year......Dude, that's a long time ago. Give it up, America decided to CHANGE long ago without you.

You get the message?? Your agenda lives no more. Wolfowitz will gain the post, and other GWB initiatives will pass. Deal with it or continue to be miserable. Your choice.

I'm not miserable...the employees of the World Bank are. Not sure why you tie this in with some kind of Presidential vote. There was no vote here. It was a one horse race. Nobody else was nominated by Bush. Even Saddam won unanimously when no one else is on the card. Some democracy huh?

ElKabong
04-02-2005, 01:08 AM
Oh, I wouldn't worry about it Sec. Only a few employees are miserable about it, just as some would be if Bono had gotten the nod. You obsess over this 'GWB is the cause for all the world's misery' stuff, Sec. You should take a day off from it sometime... Even Barney Frank gives his a-hole a rest sometimes.

I'd bet Kerry would have nominated his old buddy Scott Camill to that post.....You know, had Kerry had won the election. :)

Secretariat
04-02-2005, 02:08 AM
Oh, I wouldn't worry about it Sec. Only a few employees are miserable about it.

You need to go back and read the accounts by the employees posted. all said a majority...I realize you support most or maybe all of Bush's decisions like some others here, but I do advise you to read Nobel Laureate's Stilglitz's observations on this, as well as the employees at the World Bank. I realize if I say something you immediately reject it, so don't take my word, read Stiglitz.

PaceAdvantage
04-02-2005, 03:32 AM
I realize you support most or maybe all of Bush's decisions like some others here, but I do advise you to read Nobel Laureate's Stilglitz's observations on this, as well as the employees at the World Bank.

And you reject most (likely all) of Bush's decisions, so we're all one big happy family of opposites. All extreme in our own little way. Extremes aren't healthy, no matter the direction.

highnote
04-02-2005, 12:13 PM
This daily show link about wolfowitz is funny...

http://www.comedycentral.com/mp/videoswitcher.jhtml?show=ds&reposid=/multimedia/tds/headlines/10037.html&clip=dailyshow/headlines/10037_headline.wmv&msw

Secretariat
04-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Sweet,

You're right. Daily is hysterical in that clip, but unfortunately accurate. I wish I got that show in my area.

Anyway, PA, yes I disagree with most of Bush's decisions, but not all. Lately, his agenda however has surpassed even a neocon's dream.

I've posted previously that I approved of his No Child Left Behind Education approach even though he did not fund it as he said he would. I approved fof his invasion of Afghansitan, but not of Iraq. Not sure how those positions are "extreme:.

But appointing a man with no banking experience or real personal skills to the head of the World Bank is what is "extreme" to me. Pushing for a CAFTA after a failed NAFTA (which by the way I disagreed with Clinton on) is extreme to me. Selling F-16's to Pakistan which has harbored terrorism, is a totalitarian state and is responsbile for passing nuclear information onto Libya, and is currently harboring terrorists against our biggest ally in the region India, and a haven for Al Quida is extreme to me. I won't even begin to discuss his environmental record which has been quoted by the Sierra Club as the worst of any president in history. This from a man who ran as the "environmental" president. And the deficit! Whew! And now with oil going up, get ready for inflation to really kick in. Singlehandedly, this man has done more to destroy our nation than i would have thought possible. and if people voted for him because they think he's folksy or a stragiht shooter. Well, they've been mislead, or they've made a poor judgment based most likely on political party loyalty.

I wish I didn't disagree with so many of his bone-headed decisions lately, but he seems firmly in the pocket of big business, and neocon idealogues that it is pretty damn frightening. I respected his father, I can't say the same about this disaster to our country.

Secretariat
04-03-2005, 10:09 PM
One more link to the Wolfowitz appointment, and then I'm done. Taking a little break after this.

http://www.money.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2005/04/03/cnwbank03.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2005/04/03/ixfrontcity.html