PDA

View Full Version : History Channel Program

PaceAdvantage
05-06-2001, 01:05 AM
Win, Place, Show: The History of Horse Racing
120 min.
Thoroughbred racing's place in American sports culture is neatly chronicled by the owners, breeders and trainers that run the business, but it's four-legged legends like Citation and Secretariat that star in this documentary. Their exploits highlight the rise of the Kentucky Derby and Triple Crown, which are examined in detail, along with the fairy-tale success of Seattle Slew in 1977 and Man o' War's stunning loss to Upset in 1919 (which gave new meaning to the word upset). NFL Draft-like auctions reveal the high risks of horse ownership, summed up well by one owner whose horse “made [me] a small fortune that, unfortunately, had begun as a large fortune.”

It's on right now (they're up to Secretariat)...unfortunately, the next time it will be on is next Saturday, May 12 at Noon...hopefully I'll remember to tape what looks like a very entertaining 2 hour program...

==PA

andicap
05-06-2001, 11:37 AM
It held my interest of course but it wasn't very good.
The part on Seattle Slew didn't even mention the Hills!!
What? They didn't cooperate so History Channel just ignored that they were there?

And the "history of horse racing" didn't mention anything but the 3rd yr olds. It really should have been called the History of the Triple Crown. And nothing on older horses -- Kelso, Forego, etc. Granted twohours isn't enough time for all of that but don't pretend it's a comprehensive history of racing when it's not.
And they kept using the same 6 or 7 interviewees on each subject. Kinda dull seeing the same talking heads throughout.

And where was the Affirmed/Alydar rivalry. The best Belmont ever!

On the plus side, there was some incredible archival footage and it's always great to see someone celebrate horse racing.

andicap

PaceAdvantage
05-06-2001, 06:07 PM
I didn't get to see the first hour...what made it look good to me (the parts I saw), was that they were using footage I hadn't seen anywhere else before....

==PA