PDA

View Full Version : RPC STUB

Lefty
04-23-2002, 12:23 PM
You computer guys have you ever heard of this? Incompatible version of the RPC stub? I had a prob. on my computer accessing my Juno acct and kept getting error and illegal operation msgs. Juno told me to uninstall their prgm and reinstall from disk. I tried and got this RPC stub prob. I encountered the same prob when I attempted to install some software that came with my digital camera. I did not encounter the prob when I installed Earthlink so it only affects some software and not others.
Anybody got a clue?

Dave Schwartz
04-23-2002, 01:45 PM
RPC= Remote Procedure Call

I would suggest that perhaps your Windows version is not up to date.

I would check the Microsoft site for patches.

Dave

Handle
04-23-2002, 04:30 PM
Lefty,

This sounds like an InstallShield error that is reporting that a system file is incompatible with the current version of Windows.
I don't know how you got the "incompatible" file -- probably installing some other program. It is most likely a "DLL Hell" related issue.

If this is the problem, the fix can be downloaded from InstallShield at this address. The fix is a Microsoft fix. This is the extent of what I know about it:

Install Shield description of problem:

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=CLASS630PEE&articleid=Q105810

Microsoft download

http://download.microsoft.com/download/msninvestor/Patch/1.0/WIN98/EN-US/mcrepair.EXE

-Handle

Lefty
04-23-2002, 09:53 PM
Dave, Handle, you guys are great. The patch solved the prob. I was installing a prgm when it happened and the programmer admitted he got some wrong files in there. Now, that was the desktop and i'll be damned trying to install a different program(Mcaffee Virus Protection) this piece of crap caused a different prob. When it tried to reboot the computer the computer got hung up on the first big blue screen Microsoft Windows 98 and won't do nuthin' else. Any fixes here or do I go to repair shop?
Once again, thanks for the help.

Handle
04-23-2002, 10:23 PM
Every time you reboot does it blue screen?

Is there a related error message you can provide?

Sounds ominous, but there's probably a way to fix it. Depends on how many hours you want to spend screwing with it. I remember back when I used Win 95 some of the nightmares. I use Win 2K now. Not perfect, but at least it doesn't appear to have a "shelf life" of about 2 months.

-Handle

gillenr
04-23-2002, 10:53 PM
I hate to sound like a "read the instructions" guy, because I'm not. However, the instruction that I always disregarded in the past - "shut all open progs" - can bite you(& your PC) inthe butt. Since I had serious problems after installing BRIS PPGEN without shutting them down, & no problems after doing it their way, you might try that.
By the way, that was the only program out of dozens that ever happened with, & I still don't"shut down" when installing!

Lefty
04-23-2002, 10:54 PM
Just that big blue screen hanging there. I guess that's the first screen and as far as the sucker will go.

Lefty
04-23-2002, 10:56 PM
gillen, can't shut anything down if you can't open anything up.

Handle
04-24-2002, 12:14 AM
Lefty,

What version of Windows do you have? See if you can start the computer in "Safe Mode". I believe you need to press the F8 key when its starting up.

You might also do a search on google for "Windows [your version] freezes at startup" and see what you find.
You've probably got:
A) An incompatible system dll.
B) A messed up registry.
Both are correctable in "safe mode", but you have to find the particular problem you are having first.

Don't you wish you could bill Microsoft for the hours you spend fixing their problems?

-Handle

Lefty
04-24-2002, 12:48 PM
Handle, Win 98 SE I blve. I'll try that f8 see if can "jack" it to safe mode. If it woulda went a couple more screens "safe" woulda been no pronb but hangs on first one.
Is it Microsoft or some of these careless pgrmers? The one guy admitted(the RPC Stub) he got some wrong files in there only he didn't know how to fix it as you did.
Thanks for your time and expertise.

Handle
04-24-2002, 02:34 PM
To get into safe mode you have to hit F8 before it begins to boot into windows -- right after the BIOS loads (the black screen)
If its not F8 its F5 -- been a while since I went into safe mode on Win 98. If you can't get into it, do a search on "safe mode" "Windows 98" in google, or something similar.
When you hit F8 a menu will come up where you can select to start in safe mode.
Once you're booted in safe mode you can start looking to fix the cause of the problem -- but here I can't help you much. If you don't have an error message the best thing to do is look on the web for error messages related to installing McAffee and the system hanging afterwards.

It's hard to blame the programmer for this sort of problem unless he did something really boneheaded. Unless its a corrupt registry setting, the problem is most likely related to "DLL Hell" -- and its something that Microsoft caused long ago and they are still battling to correct. The issue is that there are system wide components. Lets call one "acomponent.dll". Well, the problem comes in when there are new versions of "acomponent.dll" Many different applications make use of this "acomponent.dll", but there's only one copy. So, if an application you install decides that it is going to update "acomponent.dll", it has the potential of breaking other applications that rely on the old version of "acomponent.dll". Worse still, other system components might require a particular version of "acomponent.dll". If "acomponent.dll" is updated, but these others are not, you can get into a situation like the one you have.
The problem is then figuring out which component is causing the problem, and this can be a whole lot of "not very much fun".

For starters, I would try this:
A) Get into safe mode
B) Once there, try running that utility you downloaded the other day to fix the other problem. NOte I Have NEVER used that utility. I'm just guessing that its job is to re-sync some of the system dlls.

If that doesn't fix the problem, you'll need to do some research, or perhaps find someone who knows more about this sort of situation than I do. Searching Google for "Win 98 hangs at startup" is a good place to start.

-N

JustRalph
04-25-2002, 01:37 AM
How the hell are you reading this if your computer is down? Just wondered...you must have more than one.......ok...I won't be funny anymore.

Handle is right on. If what he said doesn't work.

Hit F8 on boot up. Choose: Command prompt only:
If it drops to a c: prompt try this command: "scanreg /restore"
If that loads you can look at your registry backups and just pick a date that is before you installed the offending application (politically correct as to not piss off resident programmers)
highlight one from the day before you installed the problem app. and hit enter. It will take you back to a version of your registry prior to your misfortune. That may be all it takes. Or you may need more help. Depending on what was changed, altered, corrupted, generally Screwed up during the install. You can also take a look at this article for more info.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q183887

This article can be helpful too, but if you have updated your core windows components (explorer, mail client etc) it can make it worse. here ya go.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q185836

Good Luck.
:confused: :o

Dave Schwartz
04-25-2002, 10:35 AM
Handle,

Good job!

Any chance of getting you to be my computer consultant/network engineer/network administrator/answer man. <G>

Dave

Handle
04-25-2002, 12:00 PM
Nawww, I'd only end up asking JustRalph for the answers anyway <g>

Lefty
04-25-2002, 12:58 PM
JustRalph, I have a desktop and a laptop. First a prgm I was installing gave me probs on desktop and then another prgm gave me probs on laptop. I'm beginning to think i need 3-4 these damn things just to keep up with what i'm doing.
Handle, yep f8. I got an e-mail from the co. I bght from and they gave me a complicated fix from Mcaffee's site so not first time this prob happened. I'm beginning to wonder why I gave up pencil paper and a few charts. I was saner then.
Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Lefty
04-29-2002, 10:42 PM
Here's how it came out: The fix they gave me didn't work. I got the bright idea to just remove the offending prgm. That worked and I installed Norton.

Handle
04-29-2002, 10:52 PM
Good to hear that you're back firing with both barrels.
Careful, its a rough world out there -- lot of crappy code <g>.

-Handle