PDA

View Full Version : Pencil Form Methods

sidvicious
03-27-2005, 08:37 AM
what are the form methods folks are using these days? i'm referring to Pencil methods as opposed to computer crunching, though.

i learned form handicapping from the old book Winning At The Track. i haven't read it in a while, and many of you probably remember the companion dos program that came with it.

to be fair, i'll answer my question so as to help provoke responses from others.

i look primarily at lengths beaten, and if there is some spark, some sign that the horse wants to run, then i consider him. if he's a closer, and shows recent movement from the back to the front, and finishes, say, 3 behind from a start of 12, then i study him. more so if two or three races show this pattern.

for frontrunners i look at beaten lengths, and keep him in the mix if he's within 5 or 6 lengths from start to finish. if a horse improves position, i rate him higher.

i've not really weighted form to acheive a "number" as some of you may have done. i'd like to see how some of you do this, if you do.

cheers,

sv

kenwoodallpromos
03-27-2005, 12:28 PM
I rely a lot of finding patterns of consistency within a horse's PP's. I look through 4th place finishes.
I see a lot of horses have their own barriers as to weight, purse or claiming level, and/or finishing time.
Any gain while running wide on turns is good.

sidvicious
03-27-2005, 02:43 PM
i use wide travels as well, however, i rationalize toward speed rather than form. it is a matter of style and mindset, i gather.

First_Place
03-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Probably the best ever "pencil form method" ever invented is Total Pace Ratings--period. It's not new, but it ain't broke either, i.e., it still works very well. Right Dick Schmidt?

FP