PDA

View Full Version : Lane's End

46zilzal
03-25-2005, 11:56 PM
If this one Texcess gets no pressure, he is gone, BUT looks vulnerable since his racing style looks a bit light for the distance: Mayan King (might be a bit too far back) , Spanish Chestnut (good chance) or even Mr. Sword (only has done it once however) look to aruge the facts late here.

46zilzal
03-26-2005, 12:49 AM
This one, as it is tonight, is a pass.

plainolebill
03-26-2005, 01:04 AM
I don't see Douglas shaking Texcess loose while Spanish Chestnut and Stevens are in there.

bettheoverlay
03-26-2005, 07:19 AM
It looks like a good betting race to me. I would lean towards Mr. Sword if the 15-1 ML odds stand up. Only 1 graded stakes winner in the race. I wonder why Pletcher didn't run Mr. Accolade in here for 500k, instead of the ungraded Rushaway. He's won a G1 and G2 and would have been the likely favorite in the Lands End. Any Derby winners come out of the Rushaway?

plainolebill
03-26-2005, 08:03 AM
Hey if Proud Accolade can't win this he truly can't get two turns. He's got a lot of challengers today.

DerbyTrail
03-26-2005, 09:04 AM
I wonder why Pletcher didn't run Mr. Accolade in here for 500k, instead of the ungraded Rushaway. He's won a G1 and G2 and would have been the likely favorite in the Lands End. Any Derby winners come out of the Rushaway?

Pletcher wanted to try for a home run in earnings with Flower Alley.. Thinks he's a "comer" and this is a good spot to grab even $50,000 for a third... It would be a lot to ask Proud Accolade to make 9f here as well. Better off testing him at 8.5f now. Besides, he's already got the earnings he needs, so the ungraded status of the Rush is a non-issue. Pretty clever moves, as usual, by Todd.

No Derby winners from the Rushaway.. And only Lil E. Tee from the Spiral/Jim Beam/Gallery Furniture.com/Lane's End..

tonto1944
03-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Spanish Chesnut I feel will win this race pretty handily. Throw out his last race ,he missed a few workouts.Stevens can either sit 2nd or 3rd or take him to the lead.I think he has to much speed for these.
I am gonna key him over Texess, Magna Grad,Wild Desert,Andromeda Hero and Flower Alley in ex and tri and super if there is one.

Good Luck :cool:

the little guy
03-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Pletcher wanted to try for a home run in earnings with Flower Alley.. Thinks he's a "comer" and this is a good spot to grab even $50,000 for a third... It would be a lot to ask Proud Accolade to make 9f here as well. Better off testing him at 8.5f now. Besides, he's already got the earnings he needs, so the ungraded status of the Rush is a non-issue. Pretty clever moves, as usual, by Todd.

No Derby winners from the Rushaway.. And only Lil E. Tee from the Spiral/Jim Beam/Gallery Furniture.com/Lane's End..OK, Todd's a smart guy, and your logic makes sense, but so what? What Todd really is is somewhat desperate, as considering he got more high priced and well bred yearlings delivered to him than any other trainer, he has nary a TC contendor save perhaps Bandini, who only looks OK because so few others look promising. The fact of the matter is that Proud Accolade has about as much chance to win the Derby as you and I in a horse suit, and Flower Alley looks to complete that triple.

To me, the real question that begs to be asked in this regard is what the hell happens to the plethora of 2YO winners Todd has had over the last few years. He dominates Saratoga ( not to mention the Belmont meetings that bookend it ) baby races, yet every year is shockingly thin in the TC chase.

DerbyTrail
03-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Andy,

It's a good question.. I don't know what happens to all those good babies... "Win early" philosophy? Developing too fast, too soon?

And the way things are going, I think you and I could hit the Derby board this year in a horse suit..