PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth Blows the Breeders' Cup?

The Hawk
03-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Amazing....

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050325/SPORTS/503250409/1022

kev
03-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Why don't they just have it in NY-KY-CA........and that's it. KY needs it atless every 3rd year, why? it draws alot of people in which = money, and also I live in Louisville ( the main one). I went to it in 2000 and it was great, I was on the backside that year and saw the horses up close and got some trainer's to sign my Ragozin sheets. Bob Baffert took my Captain Steve sheet and was reading it, said something like oh a 3" in his last, not bad ( think he ran 3rd that year). Can't wait till 2006.

Brian Flewwelling
03-26-2005, 02:44 AM
Time to move it to Woodbine again...the racing fans can get a nice Canadian steak with their salad :D

Brian

46zilzal
03-26-2005, 03:04 AM
Time to move it to Woodbine again...the racing fans can get a nice Canadian steak with their salad :D Brian

One of the BEST turf courses in North America....

Why not have it ONCE in Europe???

betchatoo
03-26-2005, 06:52 AM
Why not have it ONCE in Europe???

Are they going to build a dirt track for 5 races?

Rockingham
03-26-2005, 08:07 AM
:) Why not move it to Nad Al Sheba

Tom
03-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Because the mojority of the money to pay for it comes from here.
When it comes from there, fine, move it there.

CryingForTheHorses
03-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Calder is a nice place that time of year! Why not give that track a chance.Plenty of room and we do have a decent turf course.

Secretariat
03-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Calder is a nice place that time of year! Why not give that track a chance.Plenty of room and we do have a decent turf course.

I would like to see it run once at Hialeah. I know they're closed, but what a beautiful track even if not the best area. The flamingos would be a wonderful backdrop. Heck, even Saratoga or Del Mar could run a one day event as well.

46zilzal
03-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Are they going to build a dirt track for 5 races?

Already have several that could be tested to come up to N.A. specs. Most are all-weather like Remington used to be as well.

It just would be a nice gesture to do it ONCE...

Why not have one of the LESSER turf contests there? Turf for fillies and mares?

ratpack
03-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Already have several that could be tested to come up to N.A. specs. Most are all-weather like Remington used to be as well.

What time would they have to run with the time difference?

46zilzal
03-26-2005, 05:33 PM
I am sure it would have to equate to LOCAL time, but imagine if BC day is about WORLD racing, which it rightly should be, ROTATE ONE TURF RACE in different countries: Italy, France, Irealnd, Germany, England, South America, South Africa, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia, Singapore, Nad Al Sheba etc. and PROMOTE the idea that this is about REAL competition.

Tom
03-26-2005, 05:36 PM

Now that's an idea....old turf in Europe and dirt here. I could get behind that one - let's see how they run on non-regulation track shapes. Cool idea.

ratpack
03-26-2005, 05:46 PM
I am sure it would have to equate to LOCAL time, but imagine if BC day is about WORLD racing, which it rightly should be, ROTATE ONE TURF RACE in different countries: Italy, France, Irealnd, Germany, England, South America, South Africa, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia, Singapore, Nad Al Sheba etc. and PROMOTE the idea that this is about REAL competition.

I agree it would be great but unless you can coordinate the time so it could be seamless it would not have a chance.

The other idea of having an entire BC in Europe would probably only be possible if it could be held at some exotic place Longchamp or Royal Ascot and be run at prime time in the US.

Great thoughts but real longshots

toetoe
03-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Charlestown, anyone?

Brian Flewwelling
03-27-2005, 02:54 AM
Charlestown, anyone?

and next you will want to use 2 gates facing the opposite direction... give the jockeys lances instead of buzzers:D

cj
03-30-2005, 10:02 AM
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=27384

cadillac pete
03-30-2005, 12:54 PM
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=27384

I'm happy they came to an agreement. I think they'll put on a great show. I spend most of my weekends during the summer at Monmouth. I enjoy the racing and the atomosphere. I wonder how I can go about reserving tickets this far out? Would love to attend an event of that magnitude.

Storm Cadet
03-30-2005, 03:12 PM
are not out yet....

DJofSD
03-30-2005, 09:27 PM
It'll never happen.

I asked Joe Harper about what it would take. He said the people associated with planning the venues are very interested in DMR but there are two major problems that would have to be fixed.

First, the turf coarse is too narrow. Don't know what it would take to fix it but I doubt it would ever be done.

Next, the backside would need to be improved. That is being done, piecemeal.

Maybe, one day, before I die but the way racing in CA is going, it becomes more doubtful every year.

DJofSD