PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Phil

highnote
04-20-2002, 11:57 PM
Does anyone know where I might find more information about Pittsburgh Phil. I already have his autobiography. Thanks.

Jeff P
04-21-2002, 04:00 AM
I once saw a paperback at Gambler's Book Club in Las Vegas titled the Methods and Maxims of Pittsburgh Phil. I seriously doubt his ideas would be productive today. Skimming through the book I noticed that he considered condition to be of prime importance. One of his favorite methods of identifying condition was to look for a horse returning to race within five days of its last start.

This happens rarely today. But back in his day, apparently, it was golden. Sadly, running this and other returning on X days rest tests through my own database have always produced negative results. Often the ROI for such tests is well below the takeout.

highnote
04-21-2002, 08:29 AM
Yep. That's the autobiography I was talking about. I couldn't remember it's title.

Thanks for the extra info about his angles. I'm mainly interested in his life, however.

so.cal.fan
04-21-2002, 11:27 AM
Mastroly & Heimer, PITTSBURGH PHIL [a biographical novel], 1960

Have you checked this out?

highnote
04-21-2002, 12:42 PM
I have not. I definately will. Thanks for the tip. Greatly appreciated.

Have you read it? If so, what did you think?
Regards,
John

so.cal.fan
04-21-2002, 09:53 PM
No, I haven't read it, I found it on a Google search.
I would like to read it. I too, have always been interested in this man's life.
Several years ago, American Turf Monthly wrote an interesting biography of him. I can't remember the author or where he got his information, but it must be recorded somewhere.
Do some checks on Google or Dogpile, you may come up with something.

highnote
04-21-2002, 10:39 PM
SoCal,
I found the book you recommended from a used book dealer for $20. I ordered a copy. I'll let you know if it's any good.

I'll try to search ATM if they have an archive.

John