PDA

View Full Version : Is the sport dying ?

karlskorner
03-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Not according the Thoroughbred Times ( 3/21/05 ). Note the last paragraph.
Horseracing is the only sport to increase its 18 year old fan base for five years in a row.

"Fan interest in Thoroughbred racing spikes 5.1% in category.

Results of an ESPN Sports Poll released Monday indicte that 37.4% of the United States population aged 18 years or older was at least "a little bit interested" in Thoroughbred racing, a 5.1% increase over fan interest in 2004 and a 19.1% increase from fan interest in 1999.

The percentage increase ws the biggest in the category for any sport from 2003 to '04. The 37.4% figure represents 78.5 million U.S. adults.

"The numbers are extremely enciuraging and we are plesed to see that 2004 increase in fan interest was largely consistent throughout the year" NTRA Senior VP Chamblin said. "As we contiune to grow national TV exposure and tatings, our priority as an industry going forward is to convert this highter level of interest into across-the board handle and attendance gains- which we are already seeing on many of the highter-profile days on the racing calender"

Horse racing ranked " ninth " out of 29 major sports marking it's first time in the top ten while surpassing golf, boxing and fishing and the only sport to increase it's 18-year old and higher fan base for five years in a row.

kenwoodallpromos
03-23-2005, 06:53 PM
I think those who say it is dying are those who cannot beat the favorites in small fields. I honestly do not keep track of which members have said that.
There will always be an overwhelming number of those who do not come on here, and bet on color, number, name, or naively enough so the takeout can be beat by making accurate picks. I just takes works.
I think there is an increasing amount of money coming in but despite what the majority mindset of handicappers believe, all factions of the sport will improve if the fastest tracks were a little slower.