PDA

View Full Version : Saw Sun King run Saturday.

JustMissed
03-21-2005, 02:30 PM
I got to watch Sun King run Saturday in the $250,000 Tampa Bay Derby.(G3)

We very seldom have $400K horses at Tampa and it was a real treat to watch him run.

He ran the 1 1/16 in 1:43:98, damn close to a track record and responded to Prado like he was driving a sports car. I'll admit the field was weak but we had a couple of horses give chase and even nosed him around the quarter pole before he grabbed another gear.

I even got to meet Nick Zito.

If Sun King goes to the KD, at least there will be one horse in the Derby that I have seen in person.

JM

OTM Al
03-21-2005, 06:28 PM
That's pretty cool. Kinda gives you a sentimental fav. I was lucky enough to be at GP last month and saw High Fly and Bandini.....course I wish I liked them as much as the guys at Oaklawn. Really wanted to go down there for the Rebel, but the air rates were just a little much.

kenwoodallpromos
03-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Looked good to me.

Glitchy
03-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Just Missed,

I too was there to watch Sun King. Great day weatherwise, incredible crowd, and a very good horse.

Tampa is my home track and the improvements over the past five years have been impressive. I think TAM gives many handicappers what they want: Large fields and many mid- to long-odds winners. The racing public is repsonding - the handles are going up exponentially (for you math geeks, it's really more like geometrically - I embellish a bit sometimes).

For those of you who haven't tried TAM, give it a shot on a slow day.....

BTW, I am in no way affiliated with the track - just a 9 to 5 'ver who goes there on weekends.

Glitchy