PDA

View Full Version : Seeding committee vs Las Vegas

Valuist
03-21-2005, 11:42 AM
IMO, the linemakers would put out a far better NCAA tournament bracket. They are the ones with real money at stake. Here's a couple examples of how they differ from how the teams are seeded:

# 4 Louisville is a 1.5 pt favorite over # 1 seed Washington
#10 NC State is a 2.5 pt favorite over # 6 seed Wisconsin

Steve 'StatMan'
03-21-2005, 01:14 PM
IMO, the linemakers would put out a far better NCAA tournament bracket. They are the ones with real money at stake. Here's a couple examples of how they differ from how the teams are seeded:

Ah yes, very true. But the NCAA is, of course, aghast that there is betting taking place on the games - even though betting on the sport is clearly the main reason why so many people care about games from far away schools that they never didn't attended, and that the TV rights to broadcast all ff the games brings the NCAA schools very big money.

But of course, you knew that. Your point makes sense. The NCAA's, I'm not so sure.

Shacopate
03-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Louisville is ranked #4 in the country and got a 4 seed, what a joke.

freeneasy
03-21-2005, 04:08 PM

that make it to the playoffs?
i dont understand what your saying

Valuist
03-21-2005, 05:55 PM
I mean in both determining the 64 teams (not including the automatic bids) and then seeding them.

kingfin66
03-22-2005, 01:10 AM
Did you hear Pitino's soundbyte about "respecting" the selection committee. Louisville should have been a 2 seed. That said, Washington will pummel them come Thursday. I can't wait.

Shacopate
03-22-2005, 02:08 AM
Louisville is playing it best basketball of the season right now. Garcia is a lottery pick. Dean and O'Bannon give them essentially a three guard offense. And all three are deadly accurate and create there own shots without screens. They also have unlimited range.

Inside, Myles is a stud and does the dirty work. Freshman power foward Juan Diego Palacios is a future star that Pitino is calling the next Jamal Mashburn.

The weakness is depth although Brandon Jenkins gets some quality minutes.

Rick Pitino had 3 final fours in the six non-probation years at UK. He is 27-9 in
NCCA tournament games (3rd best among active coaches) and 18 of his former assistants have become collegiate head coaches, best among active coaches, not even close.

Ain't nobody gonna "pummel" U of L in this tournament.

Valuist
03-22-2005, 09:47 AM
I agree with Shac. The Ville is the real deal and I think they deserve to be favored over UW. It'll be interesting to see what tempo they play at. Washington will want it 100 MPH; Louisville can play either way.

BetHorses!
03-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Ville and NC State are the two teams playing the best basketball going into the sweet 16.

I also think Mich State has a good chance to knockout Duke

Valuist
03-23-2005, 10:34 AM
I agree on Michigan State. When it comes to Xs and Os, I'll take Izzo over Coach K.

One total I like is Illinois/Wisky Milw OVER 142.5. Illinois is one of those rare teams that can win playing at the opponents tempo, and UWM likes it fast and furious. I also think U of I's pts for and pts against would be higher if they played in a conference like the ACC, where the officials call a foul if your fingertip comes within 3 inches of an opponent. Both teams will be rested and no plane trips for either squad, UWM is actually closer to the Allstate Arena than Illinois is.