PDA

View Full Version : How's this for a superfecta?

cj
03-19-2005, 07:25 PM
Oaklawn Race 11
$2 Quad/Superfecta 5-12-6-ALL $106932.80

sjk
03-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Too bad I'm not a super player. I had 11-5,5-11,11-6,6-11,11-12,5-6,6-5 and got nothing.

Jeff P
03-19-2005, 08:05 PM
I made one bet in this race: the 5 to win. I will take the win mutuel and smile about it. In fact, I'll smile a lot. $37.00 was a gift.

There's no way I could have predicted the 12 at 60-1 to finish second or the 6 at 40-1 to finish 3rd. Exotics really aren't my cup of tea anyway. I try to reduce the game to its simplest terms: Find a horse offering value that can win. Find enough of those over the course of a week and winning kind of takes care of itself.

keilan
03-19-2005, 11:16 PM
I made one bet in this race: the 5 to win. I will take the win mutuel and smile about it. In fact, I'll smile a lot. $37.00 was a gift.

There's no way I could have predicted the 12 at 60-1 to finish second or the 6 at 40-1 to finish 3rd. Exotics really aren't my cup of tea anyway. I try to reduce the game to its simplest terms: Find a horse offering value that can win. Find enough of those over the course of a week and winning kind of takes care of itself.

Jeff reducing the game to it's simplest terms means to me you should have had a $1 tri ticket if I fact you thought the 5 horse was a gift at $37.00. Did 5/brd/brd and brd/5/brd even enter your mind when you were thinking how best to crush the race? Roughly 17-1 horse you should have been tying up in the exotics somewhere.

Jeff P
03-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Did 5/brd/brd and brd/5/brd even enter your mind when you were thinking how best to crush the race? Sure it enters my mind. Every time a race runs like this one. But suppose this race had run 5/chalk/chalk instead of 5/bomb/bomb? Suddenly that 17-1 on the win end turns into a situation where I've laid out several hundred and ended up with 3-1 for the total race. And perhaps having to sign for that 3-1 as well. That's not what I'm after. The thnig about win betting that appeals to me is measuring perceived risk and making a play or pass decision factoring in a known payoff. I'm not saying this should be the approach everyone needs to take. It's just the approach that makes the most sense (and the game beatable) for me.

keilan
03-19-2005, 11:57 PM
Jeff – I’m beat after a long day so I’ll be brief -- it’s my opinion that to make large scores in this game one needs to take full advantage of $37 gimme horse. Go ahead and bet him to win, I think that should be your 1st wager now lets take a shot at making some real cash quick. Remember though when you bet 5/brd / brd you already have the win ticket covered somewhat. A no brainier and simplistic wager would have me punching both tri tickets. I didn’t cap the race or for that matter even look at the results but I use $37 horse’s in exotic pools whether it’s tri’s, doubles, tri, or p4’s Everyone to there own but why not help yourself to pools when you have a long odds horse keyed?

takeout
03-20-2005, 03:31 AM
Only one winning $1 ticket.

I’ve harped on this before but I find this misrepresentation of pool sizes a very sleazy practice.

What are they doing with those dime supers when there is only one $1 winning ticket, putting up 20 times what was really in the pool?

Jeff P
03-20-2005, 05:31 AM
I guess it's a case of each player having a sliightly different mind set and setting different objectives. There are lots of players who live for a handful of major scores each year and try not to give too much of it back between each score. Certainly, you can make the case for this and other races falling into the category of one that "coulda" been hit as a crush race.

But that's not me. I was looking at this race in particular in terms of a percent of session bankroll times 14-1 five minute odds and bet to win accordingly. This race helped me reach my goal: another tripled three day session bankroll.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with going after the major score. If it fits your style of play- go for it. It's just not how I personally choose to play the game. Others have told me I'm limiting myself somewhat- and I really can't say they have it wrong. I lean towards win betting over exotics because of the known payoffs and higher frequency of tickets cashed. My goal is to grow a bankroll in a consistent somewhat predictable manner. For me, straight win betting is the one vehicle I've found that lets me do that.

TurfRuler
03-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Here is where I'm mystified, how could the payout be $106,932.80 and the amount bet in the superfecta pool be $67,679? I've seen this type of payout and pool differential before.

5-12-6-ALL 106,932.80 67,679

BillW
03-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Here is where I'm mystified, how could the payout be $106,932.80 and the amount bet in the superfecta pool be $67,679? I've seen this type of payout and pool differential before.

5-12-6-ALL 106,932.80 67,679

Equibase has standardized on a $2.00 for all its computer based data. Otherwise a database full of exotic payouts based on mixed wager basis is useless.