PDA

View Full Version : Question about MLB and Steroids

sq764
03-18-2005, 09:20 AM
If Mark Mcgwire basically admitted using steroids before Congress, and he still makes it into the Hall of Fame... Does Pete finally get in now too?

chickenhead
03-18-2005, 10:24 AM
the problem is steroids were not against the rules, carried no penalties, etc.

McGwire came off looking like an ass, only overshadowed by Canseco, the grand ass of them all. Schilling toned things down and pulled the party line...Sosa said he never used, pretty stupid if he was lying. Palmeiro, classy guy.

sq764
03-18-2005, 10:27 AM
the problem is steroids were not against the rules, carried no penalties, etc.

McGwire came off looking like an ass, only overshadowed by Canseco, the grand ass of them all. Schilling toned things down and pulled the party line...Sosa said he never used, pretty stupid if he was lying. Palmeiro, classy guy.
Palmeiro, classy guy??

Maybe in appearance only..

chickenhead
03-18-2005, 10:44 AM
you know something I don't? I admit I've never heard much about him personally...usually that is a good sign that the guy is not a prick.

sq764
03-18-2005, 11:17 AM
you know something I don't? I admit I've never heard much about him personally...usually that is a good sign that the guy is not a prick.
I guess it's unfair to say since I did meet him.. He's quite an ass..

But publicly, he does seem to stay low key.

JustRalph
03-18-2005, 11:24 AM
At least Pete got his records "au naturel"

Did anybody else notice that Mcgwire looked like somebodies Grandpa wearing those Bifocals and all that grey hair?

On whether or not he used Steroids............

His testes are probably near his cochlea, on both sides..........

sq764
03-18-2005, 11:54 AM
I wonder if these guys regret doing steroids... Mcgwire does look horrible, not to mention about 50 lbs lighter than when he was playing..

You'd think these morons would have learned from Lyle Alzedo..

Show Me the Wire
03-18-2005, 10:09 PM
What struck me is the use of clenbuteral. It is manufactured for horses and livestock and is definately harmful to humans. Ask the French people that ate the clenbuteral treated horse meat.

I understand you could skirt the anabolic steroid test using a non- anabolic that will build muscle mass and endurance, but you are using a horse medicine known to be harmfull to humans. Also, the youth shooting up with Equipose an anabolic horse steroid. Awfull, just awfull.

Show Me the Wire
03-18-2005, 10:12 PM
BTW, the only guy that I believe didn't use steroids or other type of performance enhancing drug or hormone is Frank Thomas. He has been stinking it up for sometime now and certainly has declined skill wise from his younger days.

Tom
03-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Bud Selig looked like a damp wash cloth to me.....total jerk wtih no spine.
If MLB REALLY wnated to clean up it's drug problem (I absolutely beleive they DO NOT.....Paul Bunyons put butts in the seats) it is really simple:

1. Test every palyer every week-NO expections. No test, no play that week.
2. Owners pay for the tests - they are billionaires, the players are only millionaires.:rolleyes:

3. First offense, one year suspension, forfeit ALL pay and perks.
4. Second offense, lifetime ban.

All postives reported to authorities and released to press.

Now, all they girly-men that swear they are clean have no reason NOT to accept this - IF they really are clean.

And I agree about MM...real classless bum - and a coward - total coward. MLB shold remove his name from HOF nominations.

Show Me the Wire
03-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Tom:

As you said it is all about money, the owners' money. Hypothetically, if the Cubs knew Slammin' Sammy tested positve for an illegal substance during his productive years, would anybody believe the Cubs would want to suspend him for a year. That would be economic suicide. Sammy put butts in the seats, sold beer, increased television revenues and made the Chicago Tribune lots of money. And Congress has to ask the owners why the agreed to a 5 strike penalty clause. :lol:

By no means is this an accusation of Sosa using illegal substances or the Tribune Company having such knowledge, it is only a hypothetical scenario examing why MLB owners would ratify an agreement with the players containg such liberal penalties for illegal drug use relating yo the economic value of that player to an owner.

sq764
03-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Let's face it, after the strike in 94, baseball was in dire straights.. The Mcgwire/Sosa homerun chase revitalized MLB to new levels.. And they have just built off of that..

Everyone was making big bucks and I am sure they knew MM and Sosa were on roids, but so what? They would have screwed everyone by revealing that.

You think the NFL is going to punish any superstar players on steroids? Hell no..

Show Me the Wire
03-18-2005, 11:33 PM
You think the NFL is going to punish any superstar players on steroids? Hell no..

Only if it was in the economic interest of the league or individual owner. If I was a MLB player now in the twilight of my career, I would be worrried MLB may sacrifice someone like me to give the message MLB is tough on illegal substance use.

If Pete Rose could be banned for life for one gambling offense so should any player using an illegal substance. The only difference there was no economic harm to MLB for banning Rose. in fact it was positive economics and publicity. But the banning of a superstar, for life, for an activity an ordinary person would be jailed for, while in his prime is economic disaster for the owners. MLB is not kidding anyone.

Actually, I think congress should get involved and pass a law eliminating use of illegal substance activities from collective bargaining agreements.

Show Me the Wire
03-18-2005, 11:38 PM
BTW, sq764 the reason MLB had been in dire straights was due to the greed of the MLB owners and players, not because of the fans. The fans were the victims of strikes and lockouts by MLB.

Tom
03-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Congress might as well investigate hemeroids! That's all that is likely to come of this week's fiasco anyhow.

Valuist
07-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Check out Sosa, Thome and Mike Lowell's numbers. All down big time. Of course Sosa's started going downhill last year but nothing like this year. He looks a good 20 pounds lighter than his 60 plus HR days. I guess Lowell is angered at the media who've hinted that steroids may have been involved before.

Bubbles
07-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Thome has had back problems this year, though. I can understand HIS drop in production. If he does this next year, Valuist, I'll go with you on the steroid assumption.

If one guy proved he HADN'T taken steroids this year, though, it's Palmeiro. Guy's gonna get his 3,000th hit soon, and will end the year with 30 homers and 100 RBI's. If anyone believed anything coming out of Canseco's mouth before about him taking steroids, they're quiet now.

Valuist
07-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Palmeiro was the only guy who testified before Congress who sounded believable. There was no pauses or stammering; he was emphatic. Then you had Sosa, who all of a sudden needs an interpretor.

Valuist
08-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Apparently he's a good liar and fooled us. At least Sammy had the sense to get off the juice. Sure he can't play anymore and looks 25 pounds lighter than a few years back but there will never be proof with him. Palmeiro can't say that. Definitely tarnishes the recent 3,000 hit accomplishment:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/orioles/2005-08-01-palmeiro-suspension_x.htm

JustRalph
08-01-2005, 02:28 PM
This just made my stomach roll.......if there was anybody I hoped was "clean" it was Raffy........what a bitch.............:(

Valuist
08-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Probably won't keep him out of the Hall of Fame but I think he just blew his chances of getting in on the first ballot.

NoDayJob
08-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Canseco, the grand ass of them all.

:D Don't berate my hero Cornseco. A former Oakieland Athletic can't be all bad. :D

NDJ

chickenhead
08-01-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm blown away by Palmerio....what a f'ing idiot. I actually stood up for the guy...mistake. He was unequivaical, before Congress.

kenwoodallpromos
08-01-2005, 04:10 PM
"If one guy proved he HADN'T taken steroids this year, though, it's Palmeiro."
LOL!
Assuming anything either way primes one for errors.
Since The Demos cannot make dirt stick to Bush's folks, I expect the Demos to impeach RP!LOL!

Bubbles
08-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Geez. I'm wrong here, Palmeiro's reputation is really damaged, AND I lose my starting 1B for fantasy baseball for 10 days.

There's nothing here that doesn't stink...

kenwoodallpromos
08-01-2005, 08:03 PM
I don't care much about RP one way or another- But you have to admit He is stealing the excuse from Bonds that "I accidently got a needle stuck in my butt but I don't remember how or when!
It was just dumb luck that somebody else thought of ther "I don't recall" line before him!LOL!
I assume he still get into the HOF if there is not a lifetime suspension that lasts into your after life like Shoeless Joe's.
Obviously baseball wants to wean the players off of steroids with the light sentences.

Zaf
08-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Boy , can it get much worse for the Orioles, ERRRRRR Sorry CJ.

And what about Giambi ? 14 Jacks in July :confused: Is he using the same stuff as Palmiero ?? I hope not, I am really pulling for the guy and thats coming from a Met Fan :eek:

ZAFONIC

PaceAdvantage
08-02-2005, 01:03 AM
Not to get too far off topic, but if you would have presented to CJ a scant couple of weeks ago, the current situation as it stands now (Baltimore in fourth place, 8.5 games out, and Jason Giambi unfreakinbelievably unconscious at the plate), CJ would have never believed it!

Zaf
08-02-2005, 10:23 PM
What ever happened to Jeremy Giambi ? Is he still in the Majors ? Minors ?
Seemed like a pretty decent player with the A's in the day.

ZAFONIC

toetoe
08-03-2005, 12:26 AM
Jeremy allegedly smoked so much pot with Oakland that Eric Chavez innocently told his wife. 30 seconds later it was like the elephant's diarrhea -- all over town. The Athletics convinced the Phillies(?) to take him off their hands.

p.s. Hope I can legally say that.