PDA

View Full Version : ASH Software 2005 Edition

trying2win
03-18-2005, 01:07 AM
I just got a recent email from Armin Kaminsky of Kaminsky Enterprises, the vendor of ASH software. He was asking for my feedback and suggestions on ASH software 2004 edition. With the help of this information from his customers, Armin hopes to produce an ASH software 2005 edition about July.

Although I rate ASH software higher than some other harness software products, it could still use some improvements in my opinion. Perhaps in some areas like trying to change the programming, in order to predict more winners in the top 4 overall ratings at some harness tracks. Or, maybe even having buttons whereby the handicapper can add some of his own weights to certain factors at individual tracks. I'll have to do some more reviewing of this product over the next few days, and pass on my comments and suggestions to Armin.

Ironically, over the last couple of months, ASH software has performed admirally at Freehold Raceway and Flamboro Downs. The irony is that I used to think for many years that it was too tough to make money on 1/2 mile harness ovals. You know, snap judgements like...too many hot favorites win at these places....therefore, how can you make money betting those small ovals?...etc.

It is true, a lot of hot favorites do win at the 1/2 mile ovals. Therefore, you have to be real patient waiting for some longshot plays using ASH software at places like Freehold and Flamboro. For instance, using my criteria for longshot plays with ASH software at Freehold, I haven't been able to find a good bet there for three straight days. Again, the key is P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E!

On the other hand, ASH software results have been disappointing at the larger ovals for me lately ...i.e. at Balmoral, The Meadowlands, and Woodbine. Better ratings are definitely needed for ASH software programming, in the 2005 edition at these larger ovals.

T2W

sq764
03-18-2005, 09:18 AM
T2W, do you have any sample outputs of the format? Just curious what type of reports this spits out..

andicap
03-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Same here.

I'm very very suspicioius of programs that spit out a single figure or two. The best programs in my experience are flexible enough to let you determine what is winning at your particular track, either now or long-term. Power figures can blow hot and cold. But say late speed is winning everything at Meadowlands and your Power Figure is geared toward early speed a la the 1/2 mile ovals. You'll go broke.

trying2win
03-19-2005, 02:49 AM
T2W, do you have any sample outputs of the format? Just curious what type of reports this spits out..

SQ,

Below is a link to one of Kaminsky Enterprises web pages. You'll need the free, Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, in order to view the ASH software harness race reports. Several race dates are listed as examples. Just click on a harness race date link, once you're at the site:

http://www.kaminsky-enterprises.com/free.html

T2W

trying2win
03-19-2005, 03:02 AM
Andicap,

You make some excellent points regarding harness handicapping software.

T2W

melman
03-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Harness really is two different games one for the small sized tracks and one for the large sized. Any software that does not take this into account is going to have problems. At the smaller tracks more than ES or LS then BIG factor is post position. Let me list something.
Freehold (a half mile track) winning % by post
1 23.9 2 18.7 3 15 4 14.8 5 13.8 6 8 7 3.5 8 4.5
Meadowlands (mile track)
1 10.8 2 10.1 3 11.4 4 9.9 5 10.3 6 16.6 7 11.8 8 8.6 9 9.4 10 9.6
Changes in post from race to race at Freehold very important but not at Meadowlands. Yet I hear many players saying "the horse gets post relieve by moving from the outside to the rail" at BigM. That's goofy, I love having my horse go from a couple races in a row from post's 1-2-3 to now having the outside, it bumps up the oddds.
The one common item I find with all of harness is the third quarter and the moves or lack of moves that go on during that quarter. Seems everyone is geared to the last quarter and lots of money can be made looking instead at the third quarter. Also for Andi many horses will get more ES at the smaller tracks when moving to the inside posts and many players fail to account for that. Harness is a wonderful betting game with quite a few amazing longshot prices that after the race is over I ask myself how could that horse have paid that much?? Andi that "Daily Harness Program" is quite a bargain isn't it? The industry should make sure that it is distributed at all harness tracks. But then again that would make sense. LOL If you are planning on continuing to look at harness racing let me know via e-mail or PM would be glad to help. After all you are a "reformed" system seller on harness. LOL

sq764
03-19-2005, 09:46 AM
T2W, thanks for the link.. Quite honestly, at first glance it looks like manipulated data, nothing more.. And nothing more than any of us can do quite easily in Excel.

Maybe it's just me, but I hate 'points' based systems.. You just cannot just combine everything into 1.. (Driver, last quarter, trainer, avg winnings, etc..)

melman
03-19-2005, 09:49 AM
At the risk of being called a "redboarder" I ask any of our harness regulars to take a look at last night's 7th at Northfield. How is the world did the 2 Bridie Cam pay over $30 to win?? Moved from the 7 post to the 2 post last race a slow pace over an off track and his 2nd race back from the 2 post he was driven by the trainer into a fast three quarter pace. Before that ( the 3rd and 4th races back) horse also had good races from the 8 and 7 posts. Paid over $30 to win last nite. AMAZING.

sq764
03-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Mel, I happened to watch NF last night for about 5 races (bored I guess).. I saw 3 straight races where Grismore and Brett Miller were back to their old games again.. Both on chalk, both managing to finish out of the money.. One would burn up on the front end, the other would make a point to go first up and get hung for life..

Its good entertainment to watch NF, I wouldn't play a dollar there if it was your's.. Anytime you see Miller, Grismore and/or Holliday in the race, just kick back and watch..

sq764
03-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Here is my project in the works for automating my own system..

http://www.equineinvestor.com/m1319051

Power = my attempt at a one # power figure

V-Odds = Bettable value odds for the horse

Good Luck

melman
03-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Guess that is what makes racing SQ, I love betting Northfield. Needless to say I avoid the chalk, but I do that at every track.

headhawg
03-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Guess that is what makes racing SQ, I love betting Northfield. Needless to say I avoid the chalk, but I do that at every track.

And melman does that by using driver and trainer stats. :D

sq764
03-19-2005, 12:10 PM
And melman does that by using driver and trainer stats. :D
Then we are definitely coming from different angles.. I totally ignore drivers and trainers.. At Bigm, drivers are so tight it usually doesn't matter.

(Except that I wouldn't bet Ledford or Gingras with monopoly money)

trying2win
03-19-2005, 10:31 PM
I see at that link for Kaminsky Enterprises, they have a link for 'SUPPORT'. By clicking on that link, they give illustrations of some of the other types of ASH reports as well.

I just noticed, there's also another freebie at that site. An ASH Software handicapped card for Fraser Downs. The date is for Sun. Mar. 20/05.

T2W

andicap
03-20-2005, 10:26 PM
At the risk of being called a "redboarder" I ask any of our harness regulars to take a look at last night's 7th at Northfield. How is the world did the 2 Bridie Cam pay over $30 to win?? Moved from the 7 post to the 2 post last race a slow pace over an off track and his 2nd race back from the 2 post he was driven by the trainer into a fast three quarter pace. Before that ( the 3rd and 4th races back) horse also had good races from the 8 and 7 posts. Paid over $30 to win last nite. AMAZING.

Melman, THAT was my system!! You just legitimized it :D
Horses who showed something from outside posts and moved inside. That's it.

melman
03-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Andi, retype it and sell it again but for more cash. :D Still works just need to come up with a new "workout of results for a month". :D