PDA

View Full Version : NCCA Tourney Contest

Shacopate
03-15-2005, 06:54 PM
http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men/group/91980

The best four days in basketball start thursday.

You may have to sign up (free) with Yahoo to enter. Password is contest.

Good luck,

Who wants some?

Shacopate
03-15-2005, 08:04 PM
Sorry, wrong link.

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men/register/joinprivategroup

Group ID# is 91980

Password is contest (lower case)

Shacopate
03-15-2005, 08:12 PM
This link takes you to the page after you sign in. If you don't have a Yahoo ID, just click on the SIGN UP button. Takes about 1 minute.

cj
03-16-2005, 03:29 AM
I signed up, made my picks, but keep getting this message when I try to join a group:

There was a problem:

• You must have a team to join a private group. (Error #148)

cj
03-16-2005, 03:33 AM
One other question, since I'm a Terps fan:

Where's the NIT Bracket contest! :lol:

melman
03-16-2005, 06:46 AM
Let me take a different view on the NCAA "March Madness". I really think it is the 2nd most over-hyped event out there today. How many of you really think that any team other than a "power" school will win the tourney?? Will always be the same set of semi-pro's that advance. Sure from time to time you will have your buzzer beater or one of the lesser "semi-pro" teams will come up with a great game, but in the end the big budget school's will win. And what has fueled the following on this event?? The office pool on picking the winners in the brackets. I would just like to see the "semi-pro" hey let's forget this scholar-althlete deal OK?? get paid. Same with the semi-pro's in NCAA football. Big money for the school's, huge money for the coaches of these kids and the beat goes on. I am very much a conservative but the phony act put on by the NCAA makes me laugh.

Shacopate
03-16-2005, 08:44 AM
CJ,

Yeah, now I'm getting an error message. "You've already joined this group."

WTF Yahoo?

Shacopate
03-16-2005, 02:05 PM
http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men

Try this.

Group ID # is 100241

password is contest

Anyone who wants to PM me your email, it won't work unless your invited.

Hopefully, this will work. If not I'll get some software. If I'm slow to invite it's because I won't be back here until after midnight.

Good luck.

Shacopate
03-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Valuist,

You're in. I'll send you a pm.

I'm making you a #1 seed by the way. More on that later...

Valuist
03-16-2005, 03:24 PM
LOL.

I just hope my Illini don't have a brain freeze and go back in time to 1987. Vitale said he'd stand on his head if Austin Peay beat the 2nd seeded Illini. Guess who had his foot in his mouth?? UNBELEEEEEVABLE!!!!

Buddha
03-16-2005, 03:33 PM
I am in. Just for others, go to http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men and click sign up. Click accept on the TOS, get a team and that page, the go to Join a Group, join private group, use group ID # 100241 password contest, submit that and you should be in. 4 of us right now.

Shacopate
03-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Val,

How do you want to do this? I can post your picks on the site if you send me a fax or I can give you the info (ID, password) on the account I created for you?

Send me a pm.

Anybody else want in? Capacity is 50 entries.

Valuist
03-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Shac-

I joined but it said I was the only one in the group. I used the group 100241.

Valuist
03-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Never mind. My picks are already in under Horseplayer25.

headhawg
03-17-2005, 11:04 AM
LOL.

I just hope my Illini don't have a brain freeze and go back in time to 1987. Vitale said he'd stand on his head if Austin Peay beat the 2nd seeded Illini. Guess who had his foot in his mouth?? UNBELEEEEEVABLE!!!!

I have a knot in my stomach about the opening game. On paper it's a laugher, and 16th seeds are 0 for 40 I believe. And it's just Fairleigh Dickinson so I shouldn't worry, right?

Valuist
03-17-2005, 11:15 AM
I like the under in that game. With a quick turnaround to play on Saturday, I don't see Illinois killing themselves in the 2nd half to get 90 points. I think they give their bench players some PT in the second half. Also, the game should be out of reach so there should be no foul-a-rama at the end of the game which is a real killer to under bets.

Wiley
03-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Being a U of I grad and a long time Illini basketball fan (I go back to the Nick Weatherspoon days and my dad back to Dike Edelman and the wiz kids) I too am concerned with a toe stubbing especially with all the press hype on this team (SI picks them to win it, arghh). Their back court needs to hit outside like earlier in the year and I expect a more fast paced game than the Big Ten drag outs of recent games. Their experience is a huge plus and they do seem to just will wins out but foul trouble could kill them in the usually closer called tourney games with such a limited bench. A huge plus is the defense they have played recently which was unbelievable against Wisconsin in the Big Ten championship game. 87 was horrible but the 89 final four loss to Michigan hurt me more.

Suff
03-17-2005, 06:25 PM
I opened up an A/R with BC laying 6 and 1/2 this afternoon. They won by 20. I need to close it out with a late game.

Any suggestions?

Suff
03-17-2005, 07:05 PM
went with the Illlini -25 1/2

Shacopate
03-18-2005, 01:35 AM
I lost a final four team, six seed LSU. I thought that freshman "Big Baby Shaq" would be unstoppable. Problem was that he wasn't the first option on offense, you can't stop him on the block. As Keyshawn might say, "just throw me the damn ball", didn't happen. Teams with an inside-outside game should always go inside first.

After day one....CJ is in the lead by one point.

LutherCalvin
03-18-2005, 10:00 AM
13 of the last 15 Champions have been either a 1- or 2-seed.
This year the top 8 seeds are Illinois, Oklahoma State, Washington, Wake Forest, North Carolina, UConn, Duke and Kentucky. The winner of the tournament should be one of these teams.

Inside the numbers:

Illinois had the best points for-points against average (17.3)
Illinois has the fewest turnovers per game (<11)
Illinois, Oklahoma State, North Carolina, and Wake Forest shot over 40% of threes
Illinois, North Carolina, Duke, and Wake Forest had most wins against top 30 ranked
Oklahoma State made over 50% of their field goals
Illinois, Oklahoma State and Duke made over 72% of their free throws

Final 4 Prediction: Illinois, Wake Forest, North Carolina, Duke

At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

BetHorses!
03-19-2005, 01:24 AM
You see the guy on yahoo who is 32-0, think the name is Adam Johnson :eek:

Shacopate
03-19-2005, 01:53 AM
BetHorses,

32-0 is impressive. Vermont, Bucknell? Do you think this guy's for real or just lucky?

Shacopate
03-19-2005, 02:29 AM
Scoreboard after fridays games.

1. CJ --- 27 pts.
2. Buddha --- 24 pts.
2. Shacopate --- 24 pts.
4. Valuist --- 23 pts.
4. Luther Calvin --- 23 pts.
6. BetHorses --- 20 pts.

But, Luther Calvin and BetHorses still have all final four selections alive, very important.

Rank by final four teams alive.

1. BetHorses --- 4.
1. Luther Calvin --- 4.
3. CJ --- 3.
3. Valuist --- 3.
3. Shacopate --- 3.
6. Buddha --- 2.

BetHorses!
03-19-2005, 02:42 AM
BetHorses,

32-0 is impressive. Vermont, Bucknell? Do you think this guy's for real or just lucky?

Shacopate,

Also-UW Milwaukee, UAB,

and don't forget Nevada, Pacific, West Virg, Iowa state, NC State, Miss st. All small spread--them games ain't easy

Got to be luck, like the lottery someone gets the right combo. This is why its so hard to win contests including horses.

Shacopate
03-19-2005, 02:51 AM
I've got Kentucky and Louisville in my final four, yeah...I'm a homer. But, I can't see Kentucky getting past UC tomorrow. Our biggest weakness is rebounding, the CATS have been outrebounded in 8 of our last 10 games. The Bearcats are averaging over 40 rebounds a game, and we, SEC regular season champs got outrebounded by EKU, an OVC team on thursday 35-31.

Kentucky is favored by 2.5, but I don't like this matchup at all. The X factor for UK might be Rondo, if he can disrupt early and often UC will be in for a long day.

Bubbles
03-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Would anyone mind at all if I nuked the state of Vermont? SIX online brackets, all having 'Cuse in the Final Four.

Another year of disappointment...

Shacopate
03-19-2005, 12:39 PM
No man, go ahead and press the button.

Shacopate
03-20-2005, 01:21 AM
1. CJ --- 35 total points with (2) final four teams left.
2. Buddha --- 34 (2)
3. Luther Calvin --- 33 (3)
4. BetHorses --- 30 (3)
4. Shacopate --- 30 (3)
6. Valuist --- 27 (2)

Still anybodys race.

Shacopate
03-21-2005, 02:34 AM
1. Buddha --- 44 total points with (2) final four teams and champion alive.
2. CJ --- 43 (2) ALIVE.
3. Luther Calvin --- 41 (3) ALIVE.
4. Shacopate --- 40 (3) ALIVE.
5. BetHorses --- 38 (3) ALIVE.
6. Valuist --- 35 (1) ALIVE.

The championship is worth 32 points.

Buddha --- Washington.
CJ -------- UNC.
LC -------- Illinois.
Shac ----- UNC.
BetHorses - UNC.
Valuist ---- Illinois.

Good luck in the sweet 16.

Buddha
03-21-2005, 11:56 AM
I dont know how I am in front. Of course two of my final four teams are out. I watched about 5 minutes of college basketball all year.

OTM Al
03-21-2005, 06:25 PM
I missed this contest, but for the heck of it I filled out the free one at ESPN.com beacuse it just popped up on the screen when I went to the site last week. I checked mine today and was shocked to see I still have my entire final four intact and 7 of the final 8. Didn't watch a single game this year either except for about a half of my ol alma mater, Purdue, and god knows they weren't going anywhere. It would be pretty comical if I was able to win this thing. I think I have UNC over Louisville in the final, but can't remember for sure.

Shacopate
03-22-2005, 02:14 AM
Might be able to put together a SWEET SIXTEEN contest, plenty of time for that. Anybody interested?

OTM Al
03-25-2005, 09:39 PM
This is getting stupid. Won all 3 that I could last night and just got Mich St. And Wisconsin. Have Kentucky and UNC in the late games. I've never done so well on one of these when I used to watch every game. Just wish my handicapping was going this well.....

OTM Al
03-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Of course I didn't get into a bar or office pool for this tournament where money was at stake. Of the 12 games in the last 4 days I was able to win 11 of them, which I did. I am currently 40th on the ESPN contest. Yes, that's me on the very bottom of the leader board. 40th out of god knows how many entries. Unfortunately I can't win. Had I put a little faith in W. Virginia, I'd be right there now. Of course there is only a top prize in this contest, but I can't win it as at least 1 person above me has the same final picks (UNC over Louisville in the final btw). I would say this really sucks except as I said before, I didn't really watch a game this year. Its like picking the super in the derby and then not betting it (Yeah, I had it for a ticket that would have cost all of $24 last year......). Outta Da Money Al strikes again....and its Monday....grrrrrrrrrrrr......

Shacopate
03-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Going into Final Four weekend.

1. BetHorses --- 78 pts. (3 Final Four teams alive)
2. LutherCalvin - 73 pts. (2)
3. Shacopate ---72 pts. (2)
4. Buddha ------60 pts.
5. CJ ----------59 pts. (1)
6. Valuist -------51 pts. (1)

5 of 6 still alive with overall champion which is worth 32 pts. Good luck.

BetHorses!
03-30-2005, 02:38 AM
Whats funny is I must win my next 3 games or I cannot win. Shac if Louisville beats Illinois you have me beat and if Illinois does win I still need NC to beat them in finals or Luther beats me.

I think I'm a underdog here.

Good Luck its been fun

Shacopate
04-03-2005, 12:47 AM
The top two are:

1. BetHorses --- (110 total points). North Carolina.

2. LutherCalvin - (105) Illinois.

...and everybody else.

cj
04-03-2005, 05:06 AM
Shapcoate will finish ahead of me, we both have NC winning. Horseplayer will pass us both if Illinois wins. Buddha was eased! :lol:

Shacopate
04-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Congratulations to BetHorses! for winning the NCAA tourney contest.

Final standings. Still waiting for the site to confirm my numbers....

1. BetHorses --- 142.
2. Shacopate -- 120.
3. CJ ---------- 107.
4. LutherCalvin - 105.
5. Horseplayer25 67.
6. Buddha ------ 60.

Thanks to all participants.

BetHorses!, you have won a prize of your choice:

A. A 15X15 photo of EASY GOER preparing to load for the Kentucky Derby.
B. A bottle of Makers Mark from the Thoroughbred champion series.
C. Ashley Judd.

toetoe
04-05-2005, 01:14 AM
Bethorses,

Eschew entrant "C." BAD kidney sweat.

BetHorses!
04-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Congratulations to BetHorses! for winning the NCAA tourney contest.

Final standings. Still waiting for the site to confirm my numbers....

1. BetHorses --- 142.
2. Shacopate -- 120.
3. CJ ---------- 107.
4. LutherCalvin - 105.
5. Horseplayer25 67.
6. Buddha ------ 60.

Thanks to all participants.

BetHorses!, you have won a prize of your choice:

A. A 15X15 photo of EASY GOER preparing to load for the Kentucky Derby.
B. A bottle of Makers Mark from the Thoroughbred champion series.
C. Ashley Judd.

Thank you, maybe i should call myself BetHoops. Went down to the wire, I was surprised NC was favorite, I even saw a few 3's out there. Thanks for inviting me in.

How can I not choose "A"

cj
04-05-2005, 01:58 PM
I came in 3rd, do I get C? I'll even share with my wife! :D:D:D

Shacopate
04-06-2005, 12:10 AM
BetHorses,

pm me with an address and you'll get the EASY GOER photo.

CJ,

Ashley has a scheduling conflict and will get back to you.

Shacopate
04-06-2005, 07:12 PM
CJ,

I just got an instant message from some race car driver telling me to stop "pimping out" his wife.

How about this cool poster instead?

http://uk.geocities.com/hindgunship/ashley/ashley13.jpg

cj
04-07-2005, 03:41 AM
That's cool, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Kentucky, as they were one of the Terps victims on the way to the greatest sports fan moment of my life! :D:D:D

Shacopate
04-12-2005, 12:13 AM
BetHorses,

Sorry for the delay. Your photo is en route. ETA is thursday. There's a slight bend that I didn't notice before, probably from a SUNDAY SILENCE vs. EASY GOER arguement gone bad.

CJ,

I'll be over at UK on wednesday and will try and round up one of those posters. A friend of mine is an RA at one of the dorms, gotta love the name: KEENELAND HALL.

BetHorses!
04-12-2005, 12:54 AM
BetHorses,

Sorry for the delay. Your photo is en route. ETA is thursday. There's a slight bend that I didn't notice before, probably from a SUNDAY SILENCE vs. EASY GOER arguement gone bad.

Shacopate,

No problem, looking forward to having it framed. Very nice of you to send me this, thanks again.