PDA

View Full Version : You're all ON NOTICE

PaceAdvantage
03-13-2005, 02:33 PM
You guys are all getting way out of hand. It may be time to shut down off-topic for a little while, until people re-evaluate why they are posting here....this part of the board is NOT what I had in mind when I opened this place many years ago....

Either this section of the board takes a dramatic turn for the better in terms of eliminating personal insults, or it stops existing.

Notice to all: When you see your mouse pointing to the SUBMIT REPLY button, and all you've posted is some wise-ass reply, or personal insult, think TWICE about sending it....it's not going to be ignored by me anymore....

This goes for EVERYONE....Neo-Cons and liberals alike.....Boxcar, Equineer, THIS MEANS YOU! LJB, your Buck Fush is not appreciated either....maybe you thought nobody would notice, but I did....

Clean up your acts, or I'll clean them up for you....and you don't want that!

:mad: :bang: :mad: :bang: :mad: :bang: :rolleyes:

46zilzal
03-13-2005, 02:41 PM
good time to leave.

boxcar
03-13-2005, 04:33 PM
46zilzal wrote:

good time to leave.

This board or the country? :lol:

(Just asking, PA, just asking.)

Boxcar

cj
03-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Is there a way to hide this "Off Topics" so I'm not even tempted to read this stuff? Computers, sure, sports, great, the rest, PASS, at least I try real hard.

ljb
03-13-2005, 06:37 PM
Bravo for you PA,
I do however have one question. Do you consider buck fush more or less profane then WTF ?
In the notes I have seen this acroynm, I know it does not mean Way Too Fat!

Aside to cj,
The devil made me do it too! ;)

PaceAdvantage
03-13-2005, 07:30 PM
good time to leave.

Why? Do you feel you will have a difficult time in making posts that don't contain personal insults or wise ass one liners that waste everyone's time?

PaceAdvantage
03-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Bravo for you PA,
I do however have one question. Do you consider buck fush more or less profane then WTF ?

More profane, by far, because I hold the office of the President of the United States up with much respect, no matter who is in office. If John Kerry were in the White House right now, and SQ had a similar signature, I would have said the same thing.

bill
03-13-2005, 07:38 PM
you say that your not biased

check this thread 46 one liner no go

box one liner ok

your full of it

bill

ljb
03-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Bill
Check out my other threads. I think Tom has a couple of one line smart ass remarks in them. Other then that how have you been doing and what do you think about the threat of eliminating this board ?
Let's see 1-2-3 yeah that should do. :D

46zilzal
03-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Why? Do you feel you will have a difficult time in making posts that don't contain personal insults or wise ass one liners that waste everyone's time?

funny....Hate the war and the military and all this stems from that

Tom
03-13-2005, 10:20 PM
PA...my vote...shut'er down. Some of theses guys just have no repsect and just take joy in mocking out your warning.

Better yet...keep it open for Off-Topic, but prohibit all religious/political posts.

boxcar
03-13-2005, 10:28 PM
46zilzal wrote:

funny....Hate the war and the military and all this stems from that

Hey, 46er, you're not getting ready to go postal on us, are you? Your public introspection has an ominous tone to it. :eek:

Boxcar

toetoe
03-13-2005, 11:04 PM
DDog,
Can you use your powers of tactful suasion to mediate this contretemps? What's that? I'm dislusional? RIGHT!

46zilzal
03-13-2005, 11:14 PM
"Someday I'll walk away and be free and leave the sterile ones their secure sterility. I'll leave without a forwarding address and walk across some barren wilderness to drop the world there. Then wander free of care like an unemployed Atlas."

boxcar
03-13-2005, 11:28 PM
46zilzal wrote:

"Someday I'll walk away and be free and leave the sterile ones their secure sterility. I'll leave without a forwarding address and walk across some barren wilderness to drop the world there. Then wander free of care like an unemployed Atlas."

Just curious...how you ever made good on any of your promises of leaving? :D
Having two such "promises" in one thread from you is a new record, isn't it? :lol:

PaceAdvantage
03-13-2005, 11:31 PM

box one liner ok

your full of it

bill

Full of what? I have a lot of trouble understanding your posts. You are very cryptic. Have you ever worked for the NSA?

What do you mean "no go" for "46 oner liner?"

I have absolutely NO problem with 46's post in this thread. Whatever gave you reason to believe otherwise? I merely responded to his post where it seems he is indicating it's time for him to leave because of what I said at the beginning on this thread. I was merely asking him "Why?"

It seems to me that you are completely misinterpreting almost everything that has been written in this thread. Your loss I suppose.

lsbets
03-13-2005, 11:52 PM
PA,

I agree, it is time for all of us to either change the tone of our posts or for you to do something. I'll admit, I'm as guilty as the next guy, because every since 46's infamous remarks re: soldiers and marines I have decided to go after him every chance I get. I'll lay off, I think he knows my feelings. But I would also say its more than one liner remarks from ljb. Every post from hcap throws something in calling anyone who disagrees with him lemmings or something else derisive. THe whole Boxcar vs. Equineer and Derek thing has really gotten old. Maybe you could just create a new, private area where they can debate Biblical passages and polygamy to their heart's content? ;)

Seriously, there are some really good people on this board, and I include people from the "other side" from me in there. But, there are some on both sides who have been letting things get way out of hand, and I agree it has gotten old (again - didn't this happen a few months back?)

sq764
03-14-2005, 12:13 AM

box one liner ok

your full of it

bill
My God, just stop!! Enough is enough!!

I am one of the worst offenders, granted.. But the owner of this site has asked to put the BS insults to bed, so why is it so hard? Just do it..

I love to insult the next guy just like LJB and Equineer and Suff do, but let's just let it go... Not that hard..

bill
03-14-2005, 12:37 AM
46 one liner no go if you dont understand it means that you say this is a no good post why do you condem 46 post and not condem box"s post

when someone says your full of it do they have to spell it out Spell it out s#@t

i dont think that your that pure that you didnt understand what is meant

if box sq you dont know if it wasent for all the little people there wouldnt be any big wiggs

some of you have a mc donald understanding ask for a small oj they come back have only 2 sizes med and large

im more in line with ljb use as few words to express your thoughts

bill

PaceAdvantage
03-14-2005, 12:48 AM
I did NOT condemn 46's post in this thread. Where are you geting this from?

46, did I "condemn" your post?

boxcar
03-14-2005, 01:32 AM
PA, one day you should consider holding a contest on this forum for the Quote of the Year Award (whatever you decide that should be). If you ever do, I'd vote hands down for this one from Bill:

if box sq you dont know if it wasent for all the little people there wouldnt be any big wiggs

This is precious. Worthy of framing. :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

PaceAdvantage
03-14-2005, 01:54 AM
I'm about ready to pack it in....off topic is hopeless....

boxcar
03-14-2005, 02:01 AM
PaceAdvantage wrote:

Hey, whatever you decide to do...don't lose your sense of humor. It's a precious commodity in today's world.

Boxcar

Tee
03-14-2005, 02:54 AM

Close off topic?

What's to say that certain personalities won't bring the same problems to the rest of the forum, including the thoroughbred discussions?

Don't let em out of the cage!!

toetoe
03-14-2005, 02:59 AM
PA,
Can we change the thread's title to "Dislusional?"

46z,
Please attribute. Who wrote that verse? If you tell me H.S. Thompson, I'll feed myself one of his sawed-off breakfasts.

betchatoo
03-14-2005, 05:32 AM
P.A.

I certainly understand your frustrations. Too many threads desintegrate into childish banter and name calling. While I used to assiduously read every post I now only read those topics that seem to have the most interest to me and stop following the thread when it loses focus. But despite that, I have found that I have learned much in this section from people on both sides of the aisle.

It is your site and only you know how much extra work and aggravation this section causes you, but, for whatever it's worth, I hope we can hang on to it.

MikeDee
03-14-2005, 06:03 AM
Is there a way in your profile settings that you can turn off selected topics so that they don't appear at all in your lists or searches for new posts in topics?

This way those of us who have long ago tired of all of the crap in off topics can totally ignore it and those that need or want to continue to trade half truths, insults, and innuendo can do so.

Pace Cap'n
03-14-2005, 06:47 AM
Per a previous suggestion I would again like to recommend subdividing the off-topic section as follows:

Sports
Technical
Political
Other Off-Topic

In any event, the off-topic acrimony must not be allowed to permeate other areas of the board. The over-all civility currently enjoyed in the horseracing topics is what makes this such a great forum.

Kreed
03-14-2005, 07:49 AM
I think the Off Topic area should stay. And not divided into small topic areas.
(Maybe ONE area-- Religion-- should get its own cubby hole, but leave it all just
alone.) Suggestion: NO Poster should be permitted to Post in the Off Section
unless he posts in the horse sections too. There are ~4 guys here who MOSTLY
post in OFF, and I wonder why they're in PA at all. It's the NET and imho,
too much Mod Regulation stinks. When i look back, there were quite a few
good discussions on economics & politics here.

AQUEBUCKS
03-14-2005, 08:10 AM
What do you mean you hate the Military? How do you sleep at night you coward?

AQUEBUCKS

Bobby
03-14-2005, 09:27 AM
It's all in fun with me. I don't know about the others though. I think the off topic forum will be more popular than the handicapping forum in the next few months. Only 2000 posts shy.

Lasix1
03-14-2005, 09:32 AM
I couldn't agree more with PA. The Off-Topic section of the Board is patrolled by ideological bullies such as the ones he mentioned. The crude language and uncivil tongues are out of hand, and Boxcar's picture accompanying his registration is so mean-spirited and vulgar that it is hard to imagine anyone respecting anything he has to say.

I suggest shutting this section of the Board down. There's no communication going on anyway--people just scream "Bias" and call each other vile names. Let these bullies stage Fight Club on some other site.

Bobby
03-14-2005, 09:52 AM
I agree with lasix. I think Boxcar's avatar is demeaning and inciteful.

andicap
03-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Shut it down or just limit it to asking questions on stuff like computers, etc. I find the advice I've received here on that stuff to be pretty useful.

You see a lot of people posting on politics that don't post on horses, on the left and the right. I find that disturbing because this is a HORSE forum.
I have no trouble with all the lurkers on the horse boards because often they just don't want to get into the fray or don't have the time.
But they DO have the time or the courage to post on the Off-Topic board?

Yes, the counter-argument is the "IGNORE" button and don't visit this section (which I don't read anymore unless I post a computer question.) I just feel there are plenty of other places on the Internet where you can get into all sort of political scrapes and use any language you choose. Why not bring a little peace to our corner of the world?

But it's really PA's microphone and his call as to what he feels comfortable with.

(Maybe my poll on here about 6 months ago was ahead of its time :) )

Lefty
03-14-2005, 11:55 AM
PA, I hope you decide to keep off topic. I have had a lot of fun and it's a good place to "vent." I agree some of the insults have gotten out of hand and yes, i've been guilty but i have tried to keep them to a minimum and stay on a higher level, though don't always succeed especially when answering an insult. Anyway, we're supposed to be grown men and womwn and should think twice before just answering with some wise ass remarkmas you say and i've done that many times. Bottom line is, if we're insulted, as grownups we should be able to handle it.
Hope you keep off topic.

ljb
03-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Lefty,
I don't think PA will be dropping the off topic section of this board. All most 50 percent of the activity is in this area. Dropping it would be bad for advertising revenue.
To the people that are offended by the screaming hollering name calling and profanity in this section, WHY are you here?
I can understand PA, as he is the moderator and should audit the board but the others don't have to be here.
I also think PA lets this board go merrily along as the right side joyfully posts their notes proclaiming the praise of King George and his chosen few. It is only when the left side comes in and posts their notes disputing some of the items posted that PA comes somewhat unglued and runs polls on banning members and threatens to shut down the board.
Well that is my opinion like it or not. This is an open forum and has at least a modicum of free speech.

Show Me the Wire
03-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Closing off topic would be another exercise in overkill. The majority shall suffer for the actions of the few. PA, if you truly believe there is too much acrimony present, simply ban the consistent offenders from posting. This should solve the problem without punishing the whole board.

However, I am in favor of keeping off topic in its current state. I say if posters feel the desire to flame each other let them flame away in this little corner of the board. It is probably therapeutic exercise for some. PA, you may be doing a great service allowing some individuals to vent their frustrations in cyber space, rather than the real world. Lets say you are providing a safety pressure release valve for some folks.

I assume some third party members ( non off topic posters) are offended by the remarks contained in the off topic section and that is the reason you may consider taking action. Simple remedies for them do not read the offending posts. If you are considering action based on third party sensibilities you are using the thought process known, as the “I know” what is best for others, a thought process usually associated with a major U.S. political party. I sincerely hope this is not the reason you are considering closing off topic.

As far as any accusations of you playing favorites or that you are biased, so what! You have your opinions and you have the right to be biased. You do not have to be impartial. This is your commercial site and it can and should reflect any ideology you desire.

If it is for economic reasons, such as your sponsors threatening you with loss of sponsorship if the off topic area is not cleaned up, then I understand completely for the concern.

PA, I do not expect a response from you or any explanations justifying the reasoning for your notice. You do not owe anyone an explanation; as this is your site. I may be way off base in some of my assumptions. My different case scenarios are only intended as stimuli for thought and definitely not as criticism of your motives.

In conclusion, if your concerns are not related to sponsorship issues, I ask you allow the off topic area to stay even in its current form, with the possible remedy of banning specific individuals from the site.

Tom
03-14-2005, 12:48 PM
This is not a free speech issue and it is not an "open" forum. It is PA's board and he gave us Off Topics to us as responsible adults. Ifwe violate his rules, it is soley his option to do whatever he thinks is needed. I suppose it could affect revenues by the shear volume of notes here.
But what I cannot understand at all is the complete anomosity some have show our host since he requested we clean it up in here.
What part of this is so hard to understand? We are GUESTS here.
I would surely miss OT if it were closed, but if that's what it takes, then I will understand and support PA in whatever action he deems is needed.
As for me, I will stop this banter with people who obviously are lacking in social skills and manners and start using the Ignore ubtton tonight, as soon as I figure out how to o it.
This is a Horseracing Board, and I will no longer acknowledge those who are not here primarily for horse racing topics.

When you mud wreslte with a pig, you always lose: the pig enjoys it and you just get dirty.

Show Me the Wire
03-14-2005, 12:59 PM
There's no communication going on anyway--people just scream "Bias" and call each other vile names. Let these bullies stage Fight Club on some other site.

And how does this effect you personally? If you find this behavior uncivil do you have to participate?

Do you feel the need to impose your beliefs about what type of activity is worthwhile on others?

I am curious how someone calling another person a name in cyber space effects you, especially if you do not have to participate or be subjected to the name calling.

PaceAdvantage
03-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Lefty,
I don't think PA will be dropping the off topic section of this board. All most 50 percent of the activity is in this area. Dropping it would be bad for advertising revenue.

Actually, advertising revenue has nothing to do with the activity on this particular board. If you go read up on the Google advertising program, you'll understand what produces revenue, and it has nothing to do with how many times a page is loaded....

I also think PA lets this board go merrily along as the right side joyfully posts their notes proclaiming the praise of King George and his chosen few. It is only when the left side comes in and posts their notes disputing some of the items posted that PA comes somewhat unglued and runs polls on banning members and threatens to shut down the board.

If that were the case, then off-topic would have been shut down in the months leading up to Election 2004, when Bush bashing was at its zenith. So again, your premise is faulty.

Another faulty statement is the "we are only responding to what is posted by the right." So you guys don't initiate threads, eh?

ljb
03-14-2005, 01:29 PM
PA,
I have not read the google advertising page but I think one would receive revenue based on the number of clicks to an advertised site. My contentiion is with no off topic there would be less exposure to the advertisements. (I see both pro Bush and anti Bush ads in this area.) This decreased exposure would create decreased clicks.
On the second item. I beleive there was at least one poll during the time period you mentioned suggesting the banning of myself and Amazin. Sometimes I kinda miss Amazin ;)
And in the third case. Yes I do initiate threads, many of them. This is my response to the postings from the other side of the spectrum.
In conclusion let me say I think we have had a meaningfull discourse here with no name calling or ridicule. And I am pleased with it. :)

headhawg
03-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Well that is my opinion like it or not. This is an open forum and has at least a modicum of free speech.

I hesitated -- as always -- to post anything in the off-topic section. I learned early on that it's a dangerous place if you don't have thick skin. And while I find some posts entertaining, when people get fanatical about any topic -- sports teams, religious beliefs, and certainly political opinions -- nothing good can come of it. Most fanatics are too emotionally charged -- you're not going to change their mind, so why reduce an exchange to a name-calling session? What's the point? Don't people have real lives? Do something constructive; volunteer your time to a good cause.

As far a ljb's quote, I guess it what it depends on what you mean by "modicum". It's been a while, but I can't recall what part of The Constitution or The Bill of Rights gives us an inalienable right to post on this board. And how come people always cite the 1st Amendment when it serves them, and ignore it when it's working for the "other side of the coin".

PA, just my $.02, but I come here to learn more about handicapping -- it's the best site for that. I could live without Off Topic so do what work's best for you.

ljb
03-14-2005, 01:40 PM
This is an open forum. Just join the PaceAdvantage.com Discussion board and you can express your views. So then, it is open to members. Modicum means small amount.

lsbets
03-14-2005, 01:56 PM
This is incredibly hard for me to type - I agree with ljb - well, some of what he said anyway. If someone doesn't like Off Topic, than they don't have to read it. On the other hand, this is PA's site and if he lays out certain rules we either have to follow them or disappear, it has nothing to do with free speech. I know on a very prominent lefty site, people get banned all the time for not towing the party line. I would say that in Off Topic, PA allows more varied viewpoints than any board that I have come across.

Maybe the solution is to shut down threads once they digress into pedophelia or polygamy. Maybe the solution is to shut down threads that are obviously meant to be inflammatory (comparing neocons to muslim fanatics). Maybe the solution is to shut down threads once the insults start flying, or maybe the solution is to send a warning to those you deem to be the worst offenders and then restrict their privelages for a while.

Show Me the Wire
03-14-2005, 02:20 PM
I hesitated -- as always -- to post anything in the off-topic section. I learned early on that it's a dangerous place if you don't have thick skin. And while I find some posts entertaining, when people get fanatical about any topic -- sports teams, religious beliefs, and certainly political opinions -- nothing good can come of it. Most fanatics are too emotionally charged -- you're not going to change their mind, so why reduce an exchange to a name-calling session? What's the point? Don't people have real lives? Do something constructive; volunteer your time to a good cause.

PA, just my $.02, but I come here to learn more about handicapping -- it's the best site for that. I could live without Off Topic so do what work's best for you.

So headhawg you fall into the belief category people posting in off topic are not doing worthwhile things with their time. That reasoning sounds very judgmental to me. By judgmental, I mean you are imposing your standards on someone else as to what you think is appropriate behavior and activity the other person should engage in during his posting time or in his daily activity.

As you stated you could live without off topic and you come here for the handicapping sections. So live without the off topic area by not visiting there and limit yourself to the handicapping posts.

In my opinion it is not correct to make judgments about what is worthwhile and what is not. As far as I am concerned, I do not think handicapping is a worthwhile effort right now because of the rampant cheating.

I can live without the software section and the flaming that goes on in there at times. I deal with it by not going to that section of the board.

I cannot agree with judgmental reasoning concerning, what is worthwhile and what is not worthwhile, for closing the off topic area. The last time I checked, freedom, including what someone does with their time, is the reason we have brave individuals like lsbets in places like Iraq right now.

headhawg
03-14-2005, 02:27 PM
To make a point about what can happen in O-T (and even in some threads in the handicapping section), let's examine ljb's response, I'm assuming to my post. There are at least two ways to interpret it: 1) It was done to clarify a previous post, or 2) that he (sorry if this should be 'she' - I don't know your gender) wanted to insult my intelligence. I really can't tell. No matter.

To clarify my previous post I should have typed "I guess it what it depends on what [one means] by 'modicum'". I wasn't targeting ljb in particular, but rather trying to make the point that too much seems open to interpretation, including what size "small" is and what is meant -- on this board -- by 'open forum'.

chickenhead
03-14-2005, 02:32 PM
so long as any arguments in here don't bleed over into non-off topic threads, I could care less what goes on in here.

so long as boxcar and Equineer don't post anywhere other than off-topic, I could care less about their avatars/tag lines. If they want to post in the tbred part of the board, they should change their avatars/tag lines. Political insults should not be a part of the tbred forum, imo.

headhawg
03-14-2005, 02:59 PM
SMTW,

You're right. My intent was not to be judgmental but it sure did come across that way. My wife would say that I'm wasting my time reading this board and being in the WR -- and would tell me to clean up my stuff! :)

It just seems to me that when the O-T section (and especially for me, the Handicapping section) is at its worst when the insults fly -- counterproductive, and IMO, seems to serve no useful purpose, that's all.

I guess I agree with chickenhead then -- "so long as any arguments in here don't bleed over into non-off topic threads, I could care less what goes on in here."

HH

boxcar
03-14-2005, 03:03 PM
chickenhead wrote:

so long as any arguments in here don't bleed over into non-off topic threads, I could care less what goes on in here.

Geesh...this is the second time I find myself agreeing with you. Is this a trend? :D

Boxcar

boxcar
03-14-2005, 03:12 PM
andicap wrote:

You see a lot of people posting on politics that don't post on horses, on the left and the right. I find that disturbing because this is a HORSE forum.

I can't understand for the life of me why you find this current arrangement "disturbing". PA is hardly alone in having this kind of site setup. For example, Anandatech.com (a huge computer hardware analysis site that also includes numerous forums (more boards than are here), have well over 100, 000 registered users alone, and at any given time can hundreds or even more logged into the site.

They have two "off topic" forums over there -- one for “general off topic” discussions, and one geared specifically for "news/politics". Wouldn't you know the former forum has nearly 2.5x more messages than the nearest 2nd most popular board (100, 000 messages to nearly 40,000), and the latter forum is about the 6th most popular site out of the 17 there – putting it into the top 1/3 roughly?

And wouldn’t you know that, out of the 12 forums here, the General Off Topic is currently the 3rd most popular forum – putting it into the top 3 on this site?

What accounts for the popularity of these kinds of “off topic” forums on non-political oriented sites? I think one of the answers is that such forums provide an escape valve and diversion from the main thrusts of the forums, and this diversion is, evidently, welcomed and appreciated by many people. Therefore, such “off topic” forums add to increased traffic and to the overall popularity of these otherwise non-political-type sites.

I have no trouble with all the lurkers on the horse boards because often they just don't want to get into the fray or don't have the time.

Wait a minute! You mean that the “peace” you’re calling for “over here” doesn’t always exist “over there” either in the horsey forums? You mean…there are “frays” over there? “Over there” isn’t in need of some house cleaning? But you come “over here” calling for PA to clean up the “frays” here by shutting down the forum!?

But they DO have the time or the courage to post on the Off-Topic board?

Not so sure that everyone fits so tight and neatly into your cookie-cutter mold. There could be several legitimate reasons why posters “here” don’t bother posting “over there”.

Yes, time is an issue for me, personally. But “courage”?

This little complaint comes up with increasing frequency, and I don’t understand it.
In my particular case, I have several reasons why I’m not interested in going “over there”. Here are a few.

First, I’m out of the turf speculation biz – at least for the foreseeable future.

Secondly, when I was actively involved, I never did fit into the mold of most “racing enthusiasts”. What I mean by this is that I approached racing strictly from a business perspective (i.e. how trainers go about their business of winning races). I’ve never been a “racing fan” in the true sense of this phrase. Racing was my business. It was my livelihood. The game put the roofs over my head, fed my family and put the cars in the garages for nearly 30 years. Discussions about “best horse of the year”, best jockey, crooked trainers, drugging, etc., etc. bored me to death – never captured my interest.

Thirdly, my approach (handicapping methodology) to the game was just as unorthodox as my narrow, business-oriented interest in it. I had no interest in learning others’ approaches (not that they weren’t good or viable or profitable), but mine was, too. And I invested too much time and money in perfecting it over the years to permit myself to become distracted or my attention diverted to other approches.

Additionally, the vast majority of handicappers today are committed adherents and devotees to “mathematical” approaches (stat-driven, pricey speed figs, etc.). Mine was not, and, therefore, most people found it difficult to appreciate my value-driven (longshot-oriented methodology – which had far more to do with finding and investing in potentially profitable races than it did with “picking winners”.

And lastly, I welcomed the diversion, which is why I was attracted to this forum when it was created. To me…talking “horse racing” or “handicapping” was akin to talking shop. And after I spent 6 or 7 hours a day handicapping, betting, etc., the least attractive recreational option was to come on a forum like this and talk shop.

Yes, the counter-argument is the "IGNORE" button and don't visit this section (which I don't read anymore unless I post a computer question.) I just feel there are plenty of other places on the Internet where you can get into all sort of political scrapes and use any language you choose. Why not bring a little peace to our corner of the world?

I don’t know where you live, Andicap, but where I live, there are a couple of “undesirable” neighborhoods a few miles from my home, which is tucked “peacefully” away in a little corner of a nice, semi-rustic ‘burb. I know the neighborhoods are there. I know I wouldn’t particularly want to live in either one of them – but I certainly don’t call on the county or city officials to shut down those neighborhoods – to raze people’s homes -– to disrupt the lives of less fortunate folks, etc. – as you are calling for the “official” who officiates in this little corner of cyberspace to do here. I just don’t get it. I make it a point to avoid undesirable neighborhoods – both in the real world, as well as those within virtual reality. Why do people like yourself find this simple solution so difficult to implement?

Haven’t you ever heard of the old adage: “Out of sight, out of mind”?

Boxcar

ljb
03-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Headhawg,
You are correct in your opinion of interpetration of these notes. I meant no insult to you in my reply, I just posted what I found in my cheap dictionary. Because you had asked about the interpetration, I wanted to claify my intepetration. Wow a lot of words to avoid any possibility of conflict.

ljb
03-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Holy Cow!!!
I agree with Boxcar's reply!

Equineer
03-14-2005, 03:44 PM

so long as boxcar and Equineer don't post anywhere other than off-topic, I could care less about their avatars/tag lines. If they want to post in the tbred part of the board, they should change their avatars/tag lines. Political insults should not be a part of the tbred forum, imo.Go figure!

Before I adopted my current avatar, I was assured twice by PaceAdvantage that it is perfectly acceptable.

However, your objection to my signature line is puzzling.

chickenhead
03-14-2005, 04:32 PM
not yours, boxcars.

ElKabong
03-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Secondly, when I was actively involved, I never did fit into the mold of most “racing enthusiasts”. What I mean by this is that I approached racing strictly from a business perspective (i.e. how trainers go about their business of winning races). I’ve never been a “racing fan” in the true sense of this phrase. Racing was my business. It was my livelihood. The game put the roofs over my head, fed my family and put the cars in the garages for nearly 30 years. Discussions about “best horse of the year”, best jockey, crooked trainers, drugging, etc., etc. bored me to death – never captured my interest.

Thirdly, my approach (handicapping methodology) to the game was just as unorthodox as my narrow, business-oriented interest in it.

Additionally, the vast majority of handicappers today are committed adherents and devotees to “mathematical” approaches (stat-driven, pricey speed figs, etc.). Mine was not, and, therefore, most people found it difficult to appreciate my value-driven (longshot-oriented methodology – which had far more to do with finding and investing in potentially profitable races than it did with “picking winners”.

And lastly, I welcomed the diversion, which is why I was attracted to this forum when it was created. To me…talking “horse racing” or “handicapping” was akin to talking shop. And after I spent 6 or 7 hours a day handicapping, betting, etc., the least attractive recreational option was to come on a forum like this and talk shop.

Yep, me too Boxcar. Very well said...I've met about a half dozen or more folks (in person) from this board at the track, they'll vouch my involvement in handicapping for the past 5 years is pretty much what yours was.

I also find most people's handicapping methods "odd", much of it worthless, but I stay outta the handicapping method food fights you see in the racing sections. To each their own...In the end, handicapping is a uniquely individual pursuit. Politics is simply more interesting to talk about, certainly more important in the big picture.

If PA wants to shut this section down, I'd sure understand. I'd imagine there'd be less participation, but he'd have fewer headaches.

Show Me the Wire
03-14-2005, 04:38 PM
headhawg:

Insightful and reflective post. I agree insults are counterproductive.

boxcar
03-14-2005, 04:50 PM
chickenhead wrote:

not yours, boxcars.

Two reasons for this: Mine is the original, while EQ's is a cheap copy or takeoff of my idea shot from a different angle.

Secondly, Libs are are always more forgiving of other libs' "demeaning" words, avatars, graphics, etc.

Oh...sigh...how unfair life is :)

Boxcar

chickenhead
03-14-2005, 04:58 PM
actually I was just talking about signature lines there....obviously both avatars are disgusting, they are the same.

CryingForTheHorses
03-14-2005, 05:03 PM
PA you have to set your standards, This kind of thing should have been nipped in the bud if it was offensive to you! I think its great to have so many opinions and just love the bantor (Debates) This place is the greatest thing since they invented the pocket on your
shirt.
Keep up the good work!

boxcar
03-14-2005, 05:10 PM
ElKabong wrote:

Yep, me too Boxcar. Very well said...I've met about a half dozen or more folks (in person) from this board at the track, they'll vouch my involvement in handicapping for the past 5 years is pretty much what yours was.

Good for you, Elk. Knock 'em dead! It's a great game, and if one is mentally equipped, has the necessary aptitude and requisite discipline, it can be lots's of fun, too. But what I loved the most about horse racing is that it provided me with finanacial independence. I was my own boss, set my own schedule, worked the last 8 years or so from the comfort of my office at home , and even gave myself raises periodically by putting more through the "windows". :)

I also find most people's handicapping methods "odd", much of it worthless, but I stay outta the handicapping method food fights you see in the racing sections. To each their own...In the end, handicapping is a uniquely individual pursuit. Politics is simply more interesting to talk about, certainly more important in the big picture.

Well stated. It is an individual, personal endeavor. When I participated on the Derby List, I used to tell everyone what a "lonely" job it was. A true professional is pretty much a lone wolf, as he or she must be, if they hope to profit from their endeavor. Travelling with the pack is a sure recipe for disaster; for, quite frankly, most people's methods are "worthless".

If PA wants to shut this section down, I'd sure understand. I'd imagine there'd be less participation, but he'd have fewer headaches.

The "easiest" way of dealing with posts here is to establish some hard 'n' fast etiquette rules, which adminsitrators on most forums publicly post and more or less rigorously enforce.

Boxcar

boxcar
03-14-2005, 05:19 PM
chickenhead wrote:

actually I was just talking about signature lines there....obviously both avatars are disgusting, they are the same.

You don't like my siggy line either!? Good grief! Double barrel controversy. I don't know if I can handle this.

Okay...if I were to swap it out for this one, would you approve:?

A Liberal's idea of diversity is having different looking people all thinking, believing a saying the same things.

Let me know, will ya? I'll pull a switcheroo, ASAP. :D

Boxcar

Show Me the Wire
03-14-2005, 05:29 PM
boxcar:

I vote for the, "A Liberal's idea of diversity is having different looking people all thinking, believing and saying the same things.", tag line.

And yes I remember you posting on the Derby List about boxcar prices and your methods. Have not ventured to that part of cyber space (Derby List) in a long time.

One question for you, did the influx of EPO effect your methods?

chickenhead
03-14-2005, 05:36 PM
I didn't come on here to play reindeer games with you boxcar, just to speak my piece, which I did.....so long as you stay boxed up here in off topic I could care less what you say, how you say it, or who you say it about.

boxcar
03-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Show Me the Wire wrote:

boxcar:

I vote for the, "A Liberal's idea of diversity is having different looking people all thinking, believing and saying the same things.", tag line.

Well...I'll take that under advisment, then. :)

And yes I remember you posting on the Derby List about boxcar prices and your methods. Have not ventured to that part of cyber space (Derby List) in a long time.

Hmm...did you ever post on the DL? If so, under what handle? How long ago were you there? (I left in 2000, I think.)

One question for you, did the influx of EPO effect your methods?

No, it did not.

Boxcar

boxcar
03-14-2005, 06:25 PM
chickenhead wrote:

I didn't come on here to play reindeer games with you boxcar, just to speak my piece, which I did.....so long as you stay boxed up here in off topic I could care less what you say, how you say it, or who you say it about.

Ho, ho, ho. How clever. "Boxed up". I get it. :rolleyes:

As long as you don't also presume to forbid me to think outside the box, I'll humor you and stay away from your coveted little corner "over there". :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Show Me the Wire
03-14-2005, 07:16 PM
boxcar:

Yes, I posted on the DL. Can't remeber my nick, so long ago. But I posted there at the same time you did.

Thanks for answering my question.

freeneasy
03-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Lefty,
To the people that are offended by the screaming hollering name calling and profanity in this section, WHY are you here?
I can understand PA, as he is the moderator and should audit the board but the others don't have to be here.

here let me give pa one more reason to shut this section off. seeing as how youve been such a blatent idiot since you first appeared on this board it just goes to show that youve probably been the same hump throughout your entire life. oh yeah and iam still looking forward to that day when yourself and myself cross paths cause itsagonnabealightsoutforyouassbite.
sorry pa but with this guy he made an extremely derrogitive statement toward me a while back and when he called you out like that i just wanted to beat his stupid ass. sorry pa the guys just a quim or is that quimm

Kreed
03-14-2005, 08:15 PM
FREE ... please forgivE Lefty for any indiscretions. He don't know better, like
a sunflower in alaska, he points in the wrong direction. hey, he's living in
Vegas so he's not that wrong?

ljb
03-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Freeneasy,
Your note offends me. I have expressed my opinion as to what i think PA will be doing with this section. I explained in some detail why I felt that way and even had further discussion with PA regarding my thoughts/feelings. You respond by personally attacking me and calling me names. I would ask that you refrain from such posts in the future in an attempt to create harmonious debate.
Thank you.

Tom
03-14-2005, 08:51 PM
I got IGNORE to work just fine. I put 5 names in it and suddenly, this is a cool place once again. I highly recommend it for anyone offended/sick/tired of troll postings and other obviously baiting posts or threads.

Ahhhhh. The good life again!:jump:

freeneasy
03-14-2005, 09:20 PM
if iam on your list of 5, but i guess if you reply to this post then that means at least i must have made it to #6 on the list :D

Tom
03-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Never considered you, Free. Always enjoy your posts.

freeneasy
03-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Freeneasy,
Your note offends me. I have expressed my opinion as to what i think PA will be doing with this section. I explained in some detail why I felt that way and even had further discussion with PA regarding my thoughts/feelings. You respond by personally attacking me and calling me names. I would ask that you refrain from such posts in the future in an attempt to create harmonious debate.
Thank you.

no attempt to, a-hem, create harmonious debate intended

boxcar
03-14-2005, 09:57 PM
ljb wrote:

I would ask that you refrain from such posts in the future in an attempt to create harmonious debate.

And it's in this spirit of err...harmony that I've taken to heart the several criticisms (unwarranted as they were, of course) by narrow-minded, intolerant and thin-skinned Liberals of my my "disgusting" and "demeaning" avatar. Therefore, this will be the last post with this controversial (and undeservedly so) avatar.

Thank you.

No! Thank you, LJB. You've inspired me in more ways than you know. :D

With that...Now you see it...

Boxcar

boxcar
03-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Gotta admit, folks, it's kinder and gentler, while maintaining an accurate characterization. :)

Boxcar

Tom
03-14-2005, 10:13 PM
The only bad part abvout IGNORE is that if someone quotes, it is not filtered out.:(

NoDayJob
03-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Clean up your acts, or I'll clean them up for you....and you don't want that! :mad: :bang: :mad: :bang: :mad: :bang: :rolleyes:

:lol: PA, you already banned my grandson. Boo, Hoo! :lol:

NDJ

Equineer
03-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Boxcar,

I'm pleased to see my protest avatar finally produced some results, so I've changed mine too.

I nicknamed this horse my FFV (Fast Flying Vestibule) from Joan Baez' version of "Railroad Boy." FFV also became his barn nickname at the track. I had to scan and crop an old color photo to make the avatar, so I am not altogether pleased with the quality.

Lasix1
03-14-2005, 10:54 PM
And how does this effect you personally? If you find this behavior uncivil do you have to participate?

Do you feel the need to impose your beliefs about what type of activity is worthwhile on others?
Because I care about the kind of society we live in and the sorts of things that go on there that have cheapened and demeaned what little is left of civil discourse. If the standard is how something effects one personally, then I take it you don't care what kind of mayhem occurs in someone else's neighborhood because it "doesn't effect you." I take it that the murder of a stranger is of no concern as long as it "doesn't effect you." I take it that the kind of road rage and obscene gestures characteristic of our increasingly Darwinian highways is of no interest as long as they aren't "directed at you." I take it that if cyberspace is being used to prey on young people or scam older Americans out of their life savings, it's none of your business as long as it "doesn't effect you." Finally, I take it that air pollution is of no interest to you as long as you have your own private source of of oxygen from which to breathe.

I could go on and on with examples, but the point is you delude yourselve if we believe that the world is only about you and yours. We are so inter-connected that one can't have a cup of coffee without both influencing and being influenced by the lives of millions of others around the world. But, of course, the kind of crude libertarianism, accompanied by a solipsistic individualism implicit in your question, recognizes none of this.

You asked why I participate if I find the dialogue crude and offensive. As I said in my original post, I usually don't. I have stayed away from Off-Topic intentionally because I realized early on that it was patrolled by ideological bullies and there was not a shred of light to be shed on any public topic by Druids screaming polemics at one another, all the while using worn-out cliches and Ad Hominum arguments. I broke with that tradition only when PA asked for our opinion. (Note the word "Our", not "My.") I wouldn't dream of shutting down anyone's right to free expression, and I have Liberatarian credentials you don't know about that would establish that commitment beyond any doubt. But as Tom pointed out, this is PA's call. It is not a public board to which any of us have a constitutional right to speak and when asked for an opinion, I suggested a venue elsewhere for the cheap, vulgar, and Sophomoric name-calling that passes for discourse here. It wasn't a command, just an observation, rather akin to what one might say after accidentally stumbling into a bad section of town, seeing what was going on there, and suggesting when a resident asked their thoughts, that they might want to consider cleaning the place up.

If you prefer frequenting such a sewer and PA doesn't object, then go right ahead. I promise to return to the horses and leave you to your PA-approved (but not constitutional) right to yell obscenities at people you don't like. As for me, I'm just not mean enough to join you.

boxcar
03-15-2005, 12:00 AM
Equineer wrote:

Boxcar,

I'm pleased to see my protest avatar finally produced some results, so I've changed mine too.

I nicknamed this horse my FFV (Fast Flying Vestibule) from Joan Baez' version of "Railroad Boy." FFV also became his barn nickname at the track. I had to scan and crop an old color photo to make the avatar, so I am not altogether pleased with the quality.

Geesh, EQ, I'm gettin' all goose bumpy, and warm 'n' fuzzy feelin's goin' up and down my spine.

We should all mark this entire week in our calendars and celebrate it annually. We could call it, "Why can't we all get along?" Week. (Naturally, we should observe this more civilized and welcomed genteel behavior daily. ) :)

Boxcar

PaceAdvantage
03-15-2005, 12:09 AM
There was an excellent point made in this thread about posting in the horse racing forums. Overt politically motivated Avatars will not be allowed if one is posting in the horse racing forums. This is the equivalent of bringing the off-topic discussions to the horse racing forums, which completely flys in the face of why the off-topic forums were created in the first place - to keep the inflammatory political discussions OUT of the horse racing topics.

Thanks for the common sense advice (was it Chickenhead who suggested this)?

lsbets
03-15-2005, 12:09 AM
The people who don't want Off Topic have done the impossible - brought boxcar, EQ, and ljb together. Maybe there can be peace on earth one day. ;)

ElKabong
03-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Geez lasix, SMTW was speaking of conversations on a horse board, you somehow mix in murders, smog and about everything else. Chill...

Also, you're mistaken about SMTW. You posted to him "If you prefer frequenting such a sewer and PA doesn't object, then go right ahead. I promise to return to the horses and leave you to your PA-approved (but not constitutional) right to yell obscenities at people you don't like. As for me, I'm just not mean enough to join you.".....

Lasix, please show me a post made by SMTW where he used "obscenities" here.

boxcar
03-15-2005, 12:15 AM
Lsbets wrote:

The people who don't want Off Topic have done the impossible - brought boxcar, EQ, and ljb together. Maybe there can be peace on earth one day. ;)

:lol: :lol:

lsbets
03-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Next thing you know ElKabong and Sec will be singing Kumbayah. :lol:

boxcar
03-15-2005, 12:49 AM
PaceAdvantage wrote:

There was an excellent point made in this thread about posting in the horse racing forums. Overt politically motivated Avatars will not be allowed if one is posting in the horse racing forums. This is the equivalent of bringing the off-topic discussions to the horse racing forums, which completely flys in the face of why the off-topic forums were created in the first place - to keep the inflammatory political discussions OUT of the horse racing topics.

Thanks for the common sense advice (was it Chickenhead who suggested this)?

You may want to amend this "law" to include siggy tags, as well. Although, frankly, I don't consider my own tag to be too overtly political in nature. :lol:

Boxcar

PaceAdvantage
03-15-2005, 12:52 AM
You may want to amend this "law" to include siggy tags, as well. Although, frankly, I don't consider my own tag to be too overtly political in nature. :lol:

Boxcar

OK, consider them included....good point....

Show Me the Wire
03-15-2005, 01:53 AM
ElKabong:

Thanks for the assist. I was left typeless.

andicap
03-15-2005, 10:56 AM
OK, consider them included....good point....

Thank you.

cj
03-15-2005, 11:13 AM
I would say that a certain percentage of any poster's posts must be horse racing related, at least 25%. If not, why the hell are they posting here? If you think you are going to change a horse players mind about anything, you are barking up the wrong tree. We are a pretty stubborn group. Probably the most hard headed group in the world!

hurrikane
03-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Personally I would be against any type of censorship but it's PA's board and he has the right to refuse service to anyone.

Perhaps a red 'off topic' and a blue 'off topic' would solve the problem.

but then we end up down that long segregation road and the libs will go beserk.

GeTydOn
03-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Above all else this is a horse racing site ain't it??? Why is so much energy being wasted on Off Topic???
:confused: :confused: :confused:

boxcar
03-15-2005, 01:49 PM
GeTydOn wrote:

Above all else this is a horse racing site ain't it??? Why is so much energy being wasted on Off Topic???

Look at the bright side: At least the energy we're burning over here doesn't come from fossil fuel. :D

Boxcar

GeTydOn
03-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Yep. The price per barrel is insane enough with no hope for the near future. Looking back I guess that question is better directed at the moderators of this place.

Lasix1
03-15-2005, 02:26 PM
Geez lasix, SMTW was speaking of conversations on a horse board, you somehow mix in murders, smog and about everything else. Chill...

Also, you're mistaken about SMTW. You posted to him "If you prefer frequenting such a sewer and PA doesn't object, then go right ahead. I promise to return to the horses and leave you to your PA-approved (but not constitutional) right to yell obscenities at people you don't like..."
Lasix, please show me a post made by SMTW where he used "obscenities" here.
My response to SMTW's questions were intended in the collective "you", not the personal "you". I thought about using the more neutral "we" but the construction was awkward since I was responding to SMTW's question. I certainly was not speaking about SMTW personally, but rather to the tone of many of the off-topic posts out of which PA's concerns arose in the first place. If my reference wasn't clear, my sincere apologies to SMTW who seems to be a fine person and whose posts on the horse racing side of the board I have always looked forward to and profited from. I didn't mean to leave him "typeless" as he says. The quest for insights into handicapping would be much the worse without him.

By the way, if you believe my post was about murder and smog, I'm afraid you missed its point. :)

JustRalph
03-15-2005, 02:36 PM

Because this is more than a horse racing board. This is a community. If you can't see that, then you are missing something.

The fact that there are times of the year when the horse racing sucks......and the off topic section picks up is just a sign of how this place works. Then again the election season and things of that nature also drive the off topic section. It is a testament to the community atmosphere. We have a connection with several different geographical locations from the front lines of Iraq to Europe and Australia. All via this "community" It is a phenomenon that is new and never before obvserved. We are the first generation to have this kind of connection to the outside world. At least in real time anyway.

I have been very busy and just haven't had the time to do much more than scan the board quickly. I vowed to cut my posting back and have. I made that vow long before I didn't have time. There just wasn't anything worth discussing with the usual flamer's. End of story.

And that is the real problem with "off topic" the flamers.......the trolls....or whatever you want to call them.

Equineer
03-15-2005, 02:46 PM
I would say that a certain percentage of any poster's posts must be horse racing related, at least 25%. If not, why the hell are they posting here? If you think you are going to change a horse players mind about anything, you are barking up the wrong tree. We are a pretty stubborn group. Probably the most hard headed group in the world!Did you read Boxcar's posts?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174516&postcount=50
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174536&postcount=60

Are you saying successful retired professional horseplayers like Boxcar shouldn't be allowed to find recreation in Off-Topics?

Why should Boxcar have to beat his head against the wall in the horse racing threads to prove anything?

This has actually one of the tamest public off-topic forums on the web.

Many private boards on the web enforce strict formal rules of debate and accept only credentialed members.

IMHO, if this were such a board, Boxcar would have no problem qualifying for membership and thriving in strict formal debates.

From what I've seen, I can't say the same for the credentials or communication skills of many other posters.

Boxcar "gets" Off-Topic "gamesmanship" and excels at it. When he's on a roll, he's a web classic... exactly what others who find recreation in reading and writing want to find when they log on.

I like jousting with Boxcar because he does "get it" and is really good at it.

My gamesmanship campaign against his avatar was loads of fun, knowing full well that Boxcar will have his fun at my expense also.

Doesn't anyone else want to have fun?

So sayeth the Colonel... who also says... Boxcar, you pitiful misanthropic neo-con, eat your heart out until you also have a dozen enlightened wives and a finalist for an Eclipse Award in your resume! :D :D :D

cj
03-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Why doesn't boxcar go find some political board then. He NEVER posts in the racing sections, ever. And he isn't the only one.

I guess I just don't understand why a non horse racing fan would come to a horse racing board to discuss politics. Racing AND politics, yes, but not just politics.

sq764
03-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Why doesn't boxcar go find some political board then. He NEVER posts in the racing sections, ever. And he isn't the only one.

I guess I just don't understand why a non horse racing fan would come to a horse racing board to discuss politics. Racing AND politics, yes, but not just politics.
Just my 2 cents, but isn't that the beauty of Paceadvantage? It's a horseracing site, but the Off-topic forum is so strong and busy that someone could come here and fulfill their political/religious/sports/other needs?

ElKabong
03-15-2005, 06:05 PM
My response to SMTW's questions were intended in the collective "you", not the personal "you".

No, you attatched his quote, just as I'm doing here with yours. Your post gave the direct appearance of YOU replying to SMTW.

ElKabong
03-15-2005, 06:16 PM
SQ,

That's the way I view this site as well. As Just Ralph says, 'it's more than a horse board, it's a community'.

Posters here have a personality (more or less) to their posts. We have the 'anything goes' posters, the 'moderator wannabe's' (even tho they don't pay the bills here), the number crunchers, etc, etc...Kinda like Cheers, everybody is somebody to someone.

Anyone that posted on the original PA board back in 2000 recalls how heated it got in OT heading into the election, and afterwards. Don't recall anyone complaining then.

Lefty
03-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Dear confused and the rest of you yammering for the demise of offtopic:I'm confused as to why if offtopic offends you why you just can't avoid coming here.
Is the world coming to and end? I finally agree with Equineer. No really, is it ending?
Anyway, plenty of stuff offends me, so I avoid it. It's easy.

Suff
03-15-2005, 07:10 PM
My God, just stop!! Enough is enough!!

I am one of the worst offenders, granted.. But the owner of this site has asked to put the BS insults to bed, so why is it so hard? Just do it..

I love to insult the next guy just like LJB and Equineer and Suff do, but let's just let it go... Not that hard..

Not correct. I don't love , nor enjoy insulting anyone. Nor do I , on a regular basis. I insulted you, once, 2 months ago, and you perpetuated it. I probably ignored 8? 10? more? Personal insults you threw my way before last week, when I decided enough was enough. And the "owner" of this site has asked you to curtail your behavior previously and you have not. So you should go. imho. Your trouble.

PA.. Was your post.. your first post serious? If it was. Boot- Zilzal46, lbj and Boxcar. They took your request to tone it down , and toned it up, right on this thread.

Bunch of things I can do that many in here cannot.

1. Apologize
2. Agree to disagree
3. Give someone the last word

Those three things go a Long way towards civility.

Another thing... What I do here on this electronic forum, I've done live and in person with members of this board from all over the country, and the world for that matter. I'm not some wise ass USER name that likes harping on people from the safety of my living room. I'm a real guy, spent real time with people here. 9 out of 10 of them, liberals and republicans , like and respect me. If I may say so... People generally like me, I make friends easy. I keep friends easy.
The way certain posters talk to me here, would never in a million years happen in real life. First of all , I don't deserve it. Second of all, I would'nt accept it.

I'm not perfect, by any stretch. Thats why I keep the ability to apologize in my bag of tricks.

A Few guys here need a wake up call to real life.

ElKabong
03-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Well said, Lefty.

If we lose OT, we lose some good posters. Take Just Ralph for example. Rarely posts in the horse sections, but I can't tell you how much I've learned from his posts on puter topics. I've never pm'd or emailed him for advice, yet I've trouble-shot a few problems on my machine looking at his posts via search. He (and others) comes up with some excellent info on issues that directly affect day to day life.

You lose him from this board, you lose a lot. Same can be said for some others as well.

Shacopate
03-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Suff,

You're cool man. And I, like you don't understand why so many around here
expend so much energy on negativity. In my company, we call it BRAIN DAMAGE. A shrink would call this personality type CONFLICT DRIVEN.

My grandma, who is 85 years old and still mows her own yard would just say SOURPUSS.

Life is short people, enjoy it.

Kreed
03-15-2005, 07:40 PM
No Shit. Maybe you could change your name to INsufferrable. YES, you're
well-liked by many & yes yes yes ... but THIS is the Net not a Private Club
with you as President. You've made some lame posts & I'm sure PA (et al)
realize that THE BEST FUN is in the Retort, not asking for a pass just because
you're so adored. at least, imho. PS: are you a Leo?

Lasix1
03-15-2005, 07:41 PM
:confused: Well, I thought you were acting as SMTW's agent since you are the one who intervened on his behalf.

In any event, I stand by my apology if SMTW or anyone else thought I was directing my critique toward him personally. I didn't mean it that way, a point I was at pains to make clear. If SMTW is following the posts, presumably he knows I apologized to him in my response to you about any resulting misunderstanding.

But I must say that this is another thing that bugs me about the response style characteristic of posts on Off-Topic. The quote function gives people the opportunity to rip things out of context, seize on a few words that are either factually wrong or subject to multiple readings. It's a wonderful technique for making a poster look bad while ignoring the substance of his post. Unfortunately, it's also intellectually dishonest.

Lasix1
03-15-2005, 08:01 PM
Forgive me, my last post was a response to Elkabong. I'll get this right
one of these days.

Secretariat
03-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Dear confused and the rest of you yammering for the demise of offtopic:I'm confused as to why if offtopic offends you why you just can't avoid coming here.
Is the world coming to and end? I finally agree with Equineer. No really, is it ending?
Anyway, plenty of stuff offends me, so I avoid it. It's easy.

Lefty,

Your post shows that in some areas there is still common ground. I'm in complete agreement. I've placed ignore on a few, and probably should do so on a few others, but I don't understand the demise of Off Topic. If one cannot take what someone has to write, put that person on ignore. Frankly, I wonder myself why I choose to read opinions so totally polar to my own. I do so for a variety of reasons. One, it helps me research and solidifiy my view. Two, I read information sometimes I do not encounter. Three, sometimes it makes me laugh. Four, sometimes it makes me change my minds about things. Five, it makes me undertand the opposing point of view.

Occasionally, PA is right - it gets out of hand and we become Cheneys. Probably, at that point it is time to step back, and take a day or two off.

Lefty
03-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Elk, thanks. JR has given me some great computer help also.

sq764
03-15-2005, 08:48 PM
I insulted you, once, 2 months ago, and you perpetuated it. I probably ignored 8? 10? more? Personal insults you threw my way before last week, when I decided enough was enough.
Dude, get over it.. Please.. Now..

Tom
03-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Suff posted:

"Bunch of things I can do that many in here cannot.
1. Apologize
2. Agree to disagree
3. Give someone the last word
Those three things go a Long way towards civility. "

One more thing, Suff....IGNORE button. Amazing how much good can come from adding just 5 names to the list. It is really nice to look a a thread and see all those "one line" posts that only say, "This user is on your Ignore List."
:jump:

boxcar
03-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Equineer wrote:

So sayeth the Colonel... who also says... Boxcar, you pitiful misanthropic neo-con, eat your heart out until you also have a dozen enlightened wives and a finalist for an Eclipse Award in your resume! :D :D :D

It's not surprising that a Lib would desire to surround himself with as many bright bulbs he can find because they serve as indispensible aids in helping him find his way through life, and are equally needful to help pay the costly insurance premiums Dimly Lit Bulbs are charged for Crash and Burn Insurance. :D

Boxcar

Bobby
03-16-2005, 12:19 PM
i think this place is headed in the direction of how Horseplayers United used to be before it got shut down.

Lefty
03-16-2005, 12:27 PM
bobby, you are wrong. This place gets nowhere close to that one. You guys that don't like this forum, you have the biggest ignore button in your brain. Just don't come here and let the rest of us battle it out in our own way. We are passionate about our beliefs, both sides, liberal and conservative. If the heat's too much, avoid us.

Bobby
03-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Talking about battles, it got real nasty over at HPU.

What happened to those posters?

PaceAdvantage
03-16-2005, 04:53 PM
i think this place is headed in the direction of how Horseplayers United used to be before it got shut down.

That will never happen.

Tom
03-16-2005, 05:32 PM
HPU never got shut down. It is still open. Nobody has posted there in a long time. When Yahoo went to million-ad format for its forums, everyone just went away.

So there ya go , PA....fill'er up with ads and everything will be quiet! :D

Suff
03-16-2005, 06:48 PM
. PS: are you a Leo?

No I'm a Virgo. But right on the line. August 31'st. I'm usually at Saratoga on that day, but just the same..send me PM to say Happy B-day to me ok? It'll mean a lot.

I almost deleted that post.. But after I rethunk it... I ran out of time. But I get your point.

Reference: My Presidency. You know how your buddy Tony Blair does it.. with the backing of factions and what not. I need your faction. And..you could use a leg up. So throw your clan my way and I'll give you a castle in York and a herd of sheep.

That Ignore button is useless...and I don't like it. Besides... I could say the same about Howard Stern. Its real easy to ignore him, or sponge bob,, yet people don't. ??'s.

Bitch slaps for everyone. Thats my Slogan.

freeneasy
03-16-2005, 08:25 PM
peanuts, popcorn, bitch slaps for everybody right here :D

Lefty
03-16-2005, 08:57 PM
suff, I totally ignore Stern and spongebob. If you don't want to get involved here then don't. It's totally your choice.

Tom
03-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Oh, the ignore button is wonderful! Ignorance truly is bliss. Haven't been p'd off in two days now. Don't miss the Fabululous Five at all. And I have two hours a doy more to do things by not having to read thier drivel.:jump:

Equineer
03-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Oh, the ignore button is wonderful! Ignorance truly is bliss. Haven't been p'd off in two days now. Don't miss the Fabululous Five at all. And I have two hours a doy more to do things by not having to read thier drivel.:jump:Tom... Psssst.... Tom, there's a strip of tissue stuck to the bottom of your shoe!

ljb
03-17-2005, 10:34 AM
LOL :D :D :D

boxcar
03-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Equineer wrote:

Tom... Psssst.... Tom, there's a strip of tissue stuck to the bottom of your shoe!

Hey, EQ, with all the hip boot-deep piles of horse manure that get tossed around here, having a stip of tissue on the bottom of each shoe would still represent a major improvement in conditions and a welcomed environmental change. :D

kenwoodallpromos
03-28-2005, 01:36 AM
If Tom uses tissue, then I guess he's not who smells around here! LOL! :eek:

PaceAdvantage
03-28-2005, 01:14 PM
I think I'm slowly realizing that it is impossible to be wise-ass free on the off-topic section. I just couldn't help myself today...I believe I posted one or two notes that easily pass the wise-ass sniff test....

It just can't be helped. There is too much hypocrisy, and I'm too much of a cynic to not take note with a wise-ass remark. Sometimes, wise-assness is necessary, especially when it comes from me! :lol:

BillW
03-28-2005, 01:20 PM
I think I'm slowly realizing that it is impossible to be wise-ass free on the off-topic section. I just couldn't help myself today...I believe I posted one or two notes that easily pass the wise-ass sniff test....

It just can't be helped. There is too much hypocrisy, and I'm too much of a cynic to not take note with a wise-ass remark. Sometimes, wise-assness is necessary, especially when it comes from me! :lol:

And you're the only one who can't use the ignore function :eek:

bobhilo
05-08-2005, 11:52 PM
I joined the board to learn more about horseracing...i have read some off topic stuff and never responded...

there is a politics board over at ABC network's website .... where you can call names to dems or reps....

PA I will stick to horses