PDA

View Full Version : Tout sheets

Doc
03-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Jack's Little Green Card, Tab...I remember going to Monmouth Park in the late '70's and '80's and they'd put these tout sheets outside by the flagpole in front of the main entrance after the 8th race or so, for free, so you could see how many winners they picked that day. When I was younger I used to take them home and keep track of which one was hot. I haven't bought a tout sheet in ages - at Philly they only sell "New York." Anybody know whether Jack's Little Green Card is still in business?

ratpack
03-10-2005, 01:42 PM
going to Monmouth Park during the summer and see these guys screaming at you they had 6 winners yesterday on their card.

Maybe it would held more weight if they would have had a shave and a shirt and jacket that was not covered in grease.

Doc
03-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Ha! You're right! Maybe that grease was really ink from when they printed those sheets in their basement the night before. :D

Doc

Tom
03-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Used to be a guy named Mel Logan who sold a tip sheet at FL - when they banned him, he sold them out his car next to a cornfield on the back road to the track. They guy was good - once, his best bet paid over $100. Double digitwiners were common. The guy knew what he was doing and loved doing it. He wrote two handciaping "booklets" geared only to FL and I still rate them as two of the best handicappng books I ever read - but limited to local racing.

ratpack
03-10-2005, 07:59 PM
I remember in the 70's these guys use to sell sheets on streets on the way to Santa Anita and Hol Park. I know that they caught some of them reprinting the sheets after some of the races had run with the winners and throwing them around the parking lots of the track.

TOOZ
03-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Besides Jack's Green, there was also an orange one and a yellow goldish one. Can't recall the names of those. I always wanted to buy one and then check it versus the freebies after the 8th to make sure they were the same.

Doc
03-11-2005, 10:53 AM
I just remembered another one that was sold in Maryland - Armstrong. Used to be a train that left Philadelphia in the winter and ran to Bowie, and you could buy this sheet when you got off the train.

TOOZ
03-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Was "Sweep" one? Or was that in a program or form? I always wanted to know how you get a job like that. I'd love to see their resumes. And their relatives.

timtam
03-11-2005, 11:06 AM
I know at Philly they used to sell AD-TAB and the guy had a horse of the day in which you were suggested to play 2-2-26 and if you had used the sheet daily you would have been up say $3000.00 It was a purple color and I think it was from the old mimeograph machines. (The ones you used to smell when you had a test in school). At Penn National they had Jacks Green Card, Hershey's, Mikes Pink Card, AD-TAB , and I think Little JJ's card.

46zilzal
03-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Many of the tout sheets had HORRIBLE pictures of the suppossed analyst and looking at tha NO ONE would want to belive that guy. Thinking of Bob's card at Anita and Hollywood.

I found a tip sheet for June 9 or 10th? 1973 and Secretariat wasn't even the best bet of the day at Belmont. Strange. Thought a nag called Paternity would be best bet of the day

46zilzal
03-11-2005, 02:55 PM
I remember in the 70's these guys use to sell sheets on streets on the way to Santa Anita and Hol Park. I know that they caught some of them reprinting the sheets after some of the races had run with the winners and throwing them around the parking lots of the track.

Many of those guys were from Turfcraft ...."the organization WITH the winning information" was their motto. Used to be on radio X-E-R-B same station as Wolfman Jack, which came out of Ensenada and could be heard all the way up and down the West coast it was so strong.

Doc
03-11-2005, 03:16 PM
A friend of mine bought the "New York" sheet at Philly the other day and I was looking at the comments for each horse...some of them were so vague it made you wonder whether the guy who made the selections even read the Form. "Best of rest" was used several times.

As to the question about "Sweep," many moons ago I worked for the Form when it had its offices in Hightstown, NJ. There was a group of handicappers that banged out their selections for every eastern track that day (and boy, were they fast - they still had manual typewriters and all you could hear was furious key-clacking), and Sweep generally was one guy (can't remember his real name, I think they called him Whitey). Anyway, when he was on vacation or out sick somebody else would be Sweep that day. None of these guys was actually at the tracks which they handicapped, all they did was pick off the "dope," or past performances.

betchatoo
03-11-2005, 05:02 PM
At Arlington we used to have a tout sheet put out by a guy named Marty Dermer. For a couple of years they let him be the person who set the morning line. It was amazing how those horses he really liked were set at about twice (or more) their probable odds in the morning line.

ratpack
03-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Many of those guys were from Turfcraft ...."the organization WITH the winning information" was their motto. Used to be on radio X-E-R-B same station as Wolfman Jack, which came out of Ensenada and could be heard all the way up and down the West coast it was so strong.

I remember " A POWERFULL SOURCE FOR WINNERS" and one of them use to sell the $500 Blue ribbon parley for $25 or some other such stuff

Diamond K
03-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Back in the 60's at Arlington the main sheet was the "Green Sheet". In the 1940's I used to run nightly to get the Red Sheet (about 5x8" folded) for my Grandpa at a corner newsstand on South Side of Chicago. The Red Sheet was actually used to handicap in some manner whereas the Green Sheet was a high end but well respected tout sheet.

JohnGalt1
03-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Some trivia---

At Canterbury Jake's tip sheet is sold. He does a pretty good job.

His name is Jake Mauer. He's the grandfather of Minnesota Twins catcher Joe Mauer.

freeneasy
03-12-2005, 02:22 PM
I remember " A POWERFULL SOURCE FOR WINNERS" and one of them use to sell the $500 Blue ribbon parley for $25 or some other such stuff

that was horse & jockey " a powerful source for winners" that you were thinking about run by a guy named jay. i was at a vegas book a while back and heard this familiar voice calling a race over the speaker system. it was jay. i went into his office one day a long time ago when he was still here in L A as horse and jockey. couple of guys were there so when he called me into his office its like heres this guy red eyed, hasnt shaved, looks like he spent the night sleeping on the floor, sells me the daily double for 10 bucks, when he went into his pocket to make some change a couple of crumpled up dollar bills fell out on the floor. he looked at me like "ok now you know" then picked up his money and gave me the double. it lost. but i did have a friend who did get some pretty good winners from him.

how about J.J. Williams? remember him. he was an old time tout. had a nightly radio show, his son ran the office.

how about a guy named ACE. always had an add in the old harald examiner

pandy
03-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Mel was a terrific handicapper who was awesome at Finger Lakes. He edited, printed, and published my newsletter for me for quite a few years, with horses to watch at various tracks. Nice guy but he got into problems with drugs and I never heard from him again.

AQUEBUCKS
03-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Lawton's orange tip-sheet has been around the New York circuit forever. He has held his own for many years...

Aquebucks

karlskorner
03-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Randy Schroder's son puts out the NY Lawtons for the past 15-20 years, I am told and read somewhere that Randy influnced the board during the 60's, He sits near me at CRC and still hand times each race.

pandy
03-23-2005, 07:24 AM
Mr. Lawton is one of the all time great handicappers.

Pandy

JimG
03-23-2005, 08:45 AM
When I was a kid going to Charles Town, I can recall them selling "Jack's Little Green Card" and "Stable Boy". They were littered throughout the track after the races. Bet it was hell getting those fresh ink stains off the floor.:D

Jim

karlskorner
03-23-2005, 10:58 AM
" Mr. Lawton is one of the all time great handicappers "

Both father and son hand time from the gate