PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb Beers

sq764
03-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on the best low carb beer? I came to the realization that I am never going to completely quit drinking (especially Sat night at the track).. So I am giving in a little with some lower carb beers..

I have tried Michelob Ultra and thought is was awful..

Tried Aspen Edge and it tasted like selzer water..

Anyone tried Budweiser Select?

Larry Hamilton
03-07-2005, 12:32 AM
It isn't difficult to quit drinking. All you need is a reason. Here's mine: I realized I was sitting in this room all by myself, laughing at the monitor for hours on end, all the while drinking. At some point in the evening, I would remark to those listening on line, " Hey, guys, Ill be back in 9 min with a fresh 6-pack." Then I switched to bigger bottles. When you get a clear picture of that and realize it's YOU.....

PaceAdvantage
03-07-2005, 01:40 AM
I love Amstel Light...does this count?

sq764
03-07-2005, 09:48 AM
It isn't difficult to quit drinking. All you need is a reason. Here's mine: I realized I was sitting in this room all by myself, laughing at the monitor for hours on end, all the while drinking. At some point in the evening, I would remark to those listening on line, " Hey, guys, Ill be back in 9 min with a fresh 6-pack." Then I switched to bigger bottles. When you get a clear picture of that and realize it's YOU.....
So... you Haven't tried any of the low carb beers?

sq764
03-07-2005, 09:50 AM
I love Amstel Light...does this count?
I just realized that all these low carb beers are in the 2.6-3.2 carb per beer range, while all the while Miller Lite is at 3.2....

Maybe a subtle switch from Bud Light to Miller Light is the answer..

Bobby
03-07-2005, 09:57 AM
miller lite is the best to me, low carb that is. When I go home though I like to drink my mom's hiney's.

Buddha
03-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I don't drink, or rarely drink, but what is the purpose of a low carb beer? How much difference do they make in calories for the whole beer? I just never understood the low card aspect of drinking. If it werent for the adkins diet, I dont think that people would have cared about the amount of carbs in a beer, just whether it was regular or light.

sq764
03-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I don't drink, or rarely drink, but what is the purpose of a low carb beer? How much difference do they make in calories for the whole beer? I just never understood the low card aspect of drinking. If it werent for the adkins diet, I dont think that people would have cared about the amount of carbs in a beer, just whether it was regular or light.
Well, I think you said the magic word.. Once the Atkins craze hit, people started to care about (and count) carbs..It was an obvious new revenue possibility for beer companies and they addressed it immediately..

I don't know the amount of carbs allowed under atkins, but I thought it was like 40/day.. So technically speaking, if you drank a 6-pack of Bud light at 6.5 carbs per beer, that would be your entire limit..

A 6 pack of Michelob Ultra would be 15 carbs..

The calorie difference is like 50 per beer (150 vs 100)

BillW
03-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I don't drink, or rarely drink, but what is the purpose of a low carb beer? How much difference do they make in calories for the whole beer?

You got it. They are just taking advantage of the "low carb" fad to sell beer (remember P.T. Barnum :)). They just re-did the can artwork. The beer isn't anything special.

Buddha
03-07-2005, 01:33 PM
I don't know the amount of carbs allowed under atkins, but I thought it was like 40/day.. So technically speaking, if you drank a 6-pack of Bud light at 6.5 carbs per beer, that would be your entire limit..

The calorie difference is like 50 per beer (150 vs 100)

So if you arent following the adkins diet, why not just drink a beer that you like and not worry about the carb content? Seems to me that would be the easiest thing to do.

sq764
03-07-2005, 02:02 PM
So if you arent following the adkins diet, why not just drink a beer that you like and not worry about the carb content? Seems to me that would be the easiest thing to do.
Well I guess the theory is that even if you are not on the atkins diet, you can be concerned about carb intake..

I would have to imagine that only a minute percentage of people that buy and drink low carb beer are on the Atkins diet.

PaceAdvantage
03-08-2005, 12:55 AM
Ahhh...you said low carb beer.....sorry for butting in.....:bang:

sq764
03-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Ahhh...you said low carb beer.....sorry for butting in.....:bang:
Actually, Amstel Light is not bad (nutrionally :0)

Low calorie, moderate carbs.. (I wonder how many skinny Guinness drinkers there are..)

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art14302.asp