PDA

View Full Version : Great new site

karlskorner
04-16-2002, 08:58 AM
A project of the Racing and wagering Law Program of the Govt. Law Center at Albany Law School

Programs mission to spur public discussion of racing and wagering issues in NY.

http://www.geocities.com/nywagering/

Scroll down to read the story from the Toronto Star why Frank Stronch fired his son. A couple of other good stories also.

In todays Bloodhorse, Frank Stronch (Magna) looking to raise the "takeout" in Calif.

www.bloodhorse.com

And so it goes

Karl

superfecta
04-16-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by karlskorner
A project of the Racing and wagering Law Program of the Govt. Law Center at Albany Law School

Programs mission to spur public discussion of racing and wagering issues in NY.

Scroll down to read the story from the Toronto Star why Frank Stronch fired his son. A couple of other good stories also.

In todays Bloodhorse, Frank Stronch (Magna) looking to raise the "takeout" in Calif.

www.bloodhorse.com

And so it goes

Karl In regards to the big s little s dispute,if Andy did not pay for this "software" out of his pocket,he doesn't own it.Magna does.Too bad these two can't get along,but it happens.

As for Frankie wanting to raise takeout in Cali,he doesn't, the legislature is looking to do that.He may negotiate,but only because he might be able to get a small increase,as opposed to a big increase.Knowing the goverment,wouldn't you do the same?

LoganDimes
04-18-2002, 10:33 PM
If you read the Blood-Horse article on the potential increase in take, the Magna exec is quote as saying that the Cal industry is behind the times in its "pricing" structure for take. That's about as clear a statement in support of a take hike as you could make.

As for that website, Karl, there's no original content, just a collection of links to other websites, and no detailed mission statement. What's the point exactly?

tanda
04-18-2002, 11:22 PM
Behind the times?

I thought the trend was to lower take: NYRA, Keeneland, Hawthorne.

Or maybe he meant the "times" as Hialeah considers the term.

Figman
04-18-2002, 11:24 PM
LoganDimes
I was fortunate enough in being in Saratoga last August and to attend the Albany Law School seminar on racing presented at the Gideon Putnam Hotel. The Law School is having another one this August. Listening to Frank Stronach in person telling of the MEC mission and hearing a New York City official tell why the City decided to put up their OTB system for sale and hearing Jerry Bailey speak in person and hearing a simulcast technical expert speak and hearing a practicing NYRA vet talk and hearing a top jockey agent inform....you get the picture!
This site may be a collection of stories about all wagering from other sites but they are stories that all of which I could not find myself everyday. I think this site is very worthwhile. The mission....to keep us all informed on happenings in the wagering industry.

andicap
04-19-2002, 08:21 AM
Wow! As someone who has written about the racing industry (as it relates to TV), I can tell you this is a great site. Wish I had done it.
Congrats to the author.

karlskorner
04-19-2002, 08:43 AM
Figman / Andicap

Thank you for the support, sometimes I get "shot down" as the messenger. I guess the word "great" implied I had found the "black box" everyone is looking for. It sure saves me time in the morning when I try to read everything concerning the business of horseracing. In time I think it will turn into an invaluable site to visit.

Today's story in DRF about Frank Stronach

http://www.drf.com/news/article/36609.html

I truly believe Mr Stronach, in time, is looking to own 1/3 of the tracks and put himself in the "cat bird seat"

And so it goes

Karl

LoganDimes
04-19-2002, 02:09 PM
Figman, is that your site? Who runs it?

JimG
04-19-2002, 03:52 PM
Karl:

Thanks for posting the link. Good site.

Jim

Figman
04-19-2002, 05:28 PM
I don't know who actually runs this site but it is not me. I do know that Bennett Liebman, who was a member of the Racing and Wagering Board in New York during the 1990's and into 2000, is now employed by this same Albany Law School. He is the same gentleman that was a columnist in the Daily Racing Form a few years ago and he is the coordinator of that interesting racing oriented seminar- program at the Gideon Putnam Hotel in Saratoga each August and he is also somehow involved with the University of Arizona racetrack industry program.

karlskorner
04-19-2002, 06:09 PM
To back up my above thoughts on Frank Stroanch and Magna read the 3 stories from the Toronto Sun, Blood Horse and the Toronto Globe and Mail

Scroll down to Magna Bets big on Ponies, etc.

Old Frank knows there is more profit in the "takeout" on EXOTIC betting, than selling "after market" fenders and bumpers.

And so it goes

Karl