PDA

View Full Version : Fairly crappy

46zilzal
03-02-2005, 11:38 PM
OSAWATOMIE, Kan. -- A Kansas soldier who is on active duty in Iraq is also fighting for his home.

A bank is trying to foreclose on Sgt. Steve Welter's house in Osawatomie, which is illegal. It is a violation of a 64-year-old federal law to foreclose on a soldier's property while he or she is at war.

Welter has been fighting in Iraq since September. Meanwhile, Wells Fargo Home Mortgage is threatening to foreclose on the house where his wife and three children live.

"And he's fighting in a war. And yet an American company is trying to take our home," said Keira Welter, Steve's wife.

The Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act reads in part: "No sale, foreclosure or seizure of property ... shall be valid if made during the period of military service."

On Aug. 12, 2004, Welter got his active duty orders for Iraq and he sent it to the mortgage company.

But Keira Welter said the letters and demands kept coming.

"The (Veterans Affairs) Housing unit of Kansas sent (Wells Fargo) the papers three weeks ago on a Thursday. The next Tuesday, they filed the foreclosure proceedings on us," Keira Welter said.

She's worried the family will lose more than the house.

"They want to sell everything ...They want to sell my house and all my possessions in it," Keira Welter said.

She said the worst aspect are the phone calls. Once, Keira Welter's daughter, 10-year-old Krysha, answered the phone.

"And I said, 'My daddy's in Iraq.' And they hung up," said Krysha Welter. "I was scared because I thought they'd come for us because they knew our daddy is gone."

"And then I looked at the caller ID. It said Wells Fargo," Keira Welter said.

Before Steve Welter left for war, he was a Lawrence, Kan., firefighter. In 2003, he won a Firefighter of the Year award. The department is holding his job for him when his tour of duty is over.

Keira Welter said the family's financial problems started during Steve's Army training. She said the military paychecks are smaller than his firefighter salary.

Steve Welter once wrote Wells Fargo a desperate letter, Keira said. The letter read: "Please consider that I am fighting for this country and everyone's way of life."

Before the incident, the Welter credit history appeared to be good, KMBC-TV in Kansas City, Mo., reported.

"I paid extra money each month, to reduce the principal, so we could pay it off in 17 years instead of 30," Keira Welter said.

Wells Fargo issued a written statement to KMBC about the Welter case: "We are working directly with the customer to resolve any issues that have affected their situation. Based on information we have received in the last two weeks, we believe the immediate concerns have been resolved."

Keira Welter said she is skeptical about any assurance from Wells Fargo. She said Veterans Affairs has also received such assurances, and so has U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts' office.

46zilzal
03-02-2005, 11:49 PM
https://www.wellsfargo.com/mortgage/contact/

Tom
03-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Thansk for the link. I gave the my opinion in no uncertain terms.
Gee, I wonder where the ACLU is on a case like tis one??
I would hope reporters would start dogging Bush on this case at every opportunity - and ask for daily follow ups.

lsbets
03-03-2005, 12:06 AM
Fortunatly my soldiers haven't run into too many problems with creditors back home while deployed. I have had some who have made late payments due to the time it has taken them to get the mail, but once they got with JAG and sent all the right letters the negative information was removed from their credit reports. Unfortunatly, most companies seem reluctant to grant relief until lawyers get involved.

betchatoo
03-03-2005, 09:21 AM
I also have just left a message for Wells Fargo. This is a disgrace

ponyplayer
03-04-2005, 09:05 AM
I gave them my 2 cents also.....The company I work with banks with Wells Fargo, all of us in management are Viet Nam vets...I'll be sure they all get a copy of this...we may rethink our banking.