PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network-TVG deal

andicap
03-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Starting today, Dish Network allows TVG Network viewers to bet (if you are in the 12 states where you can open a TVG account) or -- for everyone -- get updated racing information by pressing a button on your remote control.

Pretty much all the information available on the TVG website, odds, track conditions, scratches, entires, some stats, (not sure about PPs since there are no printing applications or hardware yet ported to an EchoStar set-top box), results, articles, etc. is available on your TV screen as well as your computer.

And you can bet via a remote if you have a TVG account.

You hit the little icon on the screen and it squeezes the picture so you can get the information you want.

No cable operator offers this true interactivity.
Don't believe a similar deal with HRTV is imminent since TVG developed the application itself as part of the giant Gemstar TV Guide company. TVG had about $39 million in revenues (NOT HANDLE) in 2004, a 37% increase from 2003.

Will this convince some people here to try Dish Network, I'm wondering?

Wagering services are currently offered in California, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Washington and Wyoming

Tom
03-02-2005, 05:56 PM
andi....I already have TVG...where is the info on how to do this? I can't wait to check it out. This would definatley entice me to open an acount to bet.

BillW
03-02-2005, 05:57 PM
I just got a software update downloaded the other day, but as usual it didn't describe what was being updated/added. This must have been it. Dish has been playing with other interactive applications in the last year or so. I'll be curious to see if the "non-wagering" features are available to non-TVG legal states.

Bill

BTW I just had the brilliant idea to check the online menu, and it is there and all non-wagering stuff is there.

BillW
03-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Tom, check out "sports" under the dish-at-home choice from the main menu.

andicap
03-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Would like to quote some people directly for the Blood-Horse story, so anyone who is willing please PM or e-mail me....

You have the service if you see a little icon in the cormer of your screen. Just hit "select"or "enter" on your remote and the screen should come up.

Service rolls out over a month. Some people got it today, some will not get it until the end of the month. Software upgrades and all of that.

Anyone who has it today, please, please, email or PM me as I don't subscribe to Dish right now.

BTW Tom, you can't use the service to bet since you're in NY, but you can access all the information.

On PPs, I only heard they are offering "pages" of handicapping info, trying to nail that down and that's why would appreciate from anyone who gets the service.

e_r
03-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Unfortunately (for trip handicappers) TVG does not offer full race replays (headons, breaks, etc.) on its telecasts. Apparently, they do have this service online, for their members. Of course, NY residents can't open an account with TVG. Which means, SLIME-Warner gets my business.

Aren't I lucky.

If I'm wrong about this, feedback appreciated

BillW
03-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Andi,

The "corner of screen" icon is not visible in Tx. Either only visible in "legal" states or they are still in mid-implementation.

Bill

Tom
03-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Why can't I get a TVG account? I have BRIS, YouBet, and Xpressbet???

And not to sound stupid, but there is a main menu? I never go past 404 or 405, so I never knew there was a menu. D'oh!

kingfin66
03-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Andi,

The "corner of screen" icon is not visible in Tx. Either only visible in "legal" states or they are still in mid-implementation.

Bill

Bill,

I'm guessing that the icon is an italic i on the screen. It stands for interactive. I have DirecTV service with 3 units. Two of the receivers are "older" and the same model. The TVs with those units do not show the i, while the other one does. It may be the receiver and not the service itself.

BillW
03-02-2005, 11:39 PM
It's annoying having to go in through the menu, but a nice feature that once you are in the application, there is a selection for "Watch TVG" to go back to full screen video. When watching TVG `via this path a single "enter" selection takes you back in to the "wagering" application.

While the computer is far more useful for this activity, I'm sure there are those technophobic horseplayers out there that will eat this up. TVG finally, after 5 years of claiming it, IS interactive. :D

BillW
03-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Bill,

I'm guessing that the icon is an italic i on the screen. It stands for interactive. I have DirecTV service with 3 units. Two of the receivers are "older" and the same model. The TVs with those units do not show the i, while the other one does. It may be the receiver and not the service itself.

Kingfin,

That's very possible, although I do get the prompts for other "interactive" dish apps with the italic "i". No matter, it is only a novelty for me. I won't give up the computer/internet any time soon :).

Bill

pandy
03-03-2005, 07:15 AM
I have the Dish Network and it's a handicapper's dream come true. Two racing channels with racing from U.S., Hong King, Middle East, Astrailia, and both harness and flats. Fantastic. I also have the dish network 100 hour DVR so I can tape the races on the hard drive and watch them in slow motion if I want. I don't have a TVG betting account, I bet online.

andicap
03-03-2005, 11:01 AM
My Blood-Horse story for the web is up at http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=26952

Bill, can I quote you in the article?

Kingpin, if you're willing to be quoted by name, please email me.

Tom, TVG is a bit different in that it's account users bet into a separate hub in Oregon it actually takes 5.5% off the top. So it's a different kind of animal than the others. BRIS is actually a conduit for Americatab.com out of Ohio.

I believe that since Americatab and Youbet were designed for Internet play rather than through the telephone, they are more flexible in who they take tho I'm sure there are those out there who would crack down on them too.

TVG, which wants to use interactive TV as its main model, began operation with users phoning in bets to its hub, thus it did not want to book bets from states where telephone betting was illegal. Notice that when states OK telephone betting that's when TVG begins to operate there.
The one interesting exception is New Jersey where telephone betting is allowed but the law specifically keeps out third parties like TVG. Is that legal restraint of trade? Don't know.

TVG took the tact a while ago to be very conservative in where it would serve horseplayers. It did not want any trouble with state attorney generals and did not want to attract any negative publicity in terms of treading the line with telephone/online wagering regulations. Do you remember when Conn. OTB drastically but back the number of states it took applications on back in the 90s?

Also, no cable operator will join up with TVG in a state where telephone betting is not permitted.

andicap
03-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Should have made clear that the "article" I was referring to for quotes is the print version that comes out next week.

schweitz
03-03-2005, 02:37 PM
I just got a software update downloaded the other day, but as usual it didn't describe what was being updated/added. This must have been it. Dish has been playing with other interactive applications in the last year or so. I'll be curious to see if the "non-wagering" features are available to non-TVG legal states.

Bill

BTW I just had the brilliant idea to check the online menu, and it is there and all non-wagering stuff is there.

Bill, I'm still waiting for a software download---what non-wagering stuff is there?

BillW
03-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Bill, I'm still waiting for a software download---what non-wagering stuff is there?

schweitz,

The front screen has a menu for login (wagering only, I guess), Open an Acct., Free Picks (TVG analysts picks), Racing news (kind of like Mike has implemented on this site), Toteboard/results, a selection for AWARE and a "Watch TVG" selection that takes you to full screen video. On this screen is a PIP type video window with TVG playing. Odds and results are for TVG carried tracks only.

Bill

schweitz
03-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks Bill.

BillW
03-04-2005, 07:11 PM
It's interesting that TVG has not (to my knowlege) said anything about this on air. Possibly it hasn't been "introduced" yet since the system doesn't seen to be deployed completely.

tomcg
03-08-2005, 08:17 PM
What I don't understand is how NY OTB Conn OTB e-bet to name a few take bets from many states but TVG sticks to 12. Makes me glad I'm not a TVG shareholder