PDA

View Full Version : Very Sad Night

Observer
03-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Please don't tell me what happened .. because I haven't seen it yet (had to fight stealing peaks off the office TV) .. but I'm very sad that tonight marked the end of NYPD Blue.

This is the end of an era for me, and this show was clearly tops of my all-time favorites.

12 years is a great run .. but somehow it just wan't enough and I still wanted more.

:( :( :(

kingfin66
03-02-2005, 12:56 AM
I've heard it was an excellent show, but have never seen it. For some reason, I have never been into the hour cop shows; CSI, Homicide, NYPD Blu, Law and Order. I've heard they are very good, but have just never really watched them. One exception was Hill Street Blues. Loved it. Dennis Franz will always be Buntz to me.

JustRalph
03-02-2005, 07:05 AM
NyPD had some of the best dialogue ever on TV. Today that crown goes to Deadwood..........

sq764
03-02-2005, 08:14 AM
I never got into NYPD Blue.. Just didn't do it for me..

It could never live up to Hillstreet Blues.

I am still pissed that The Practice was taken off the air.. What a fantastic show that was.. This spin-off 'Boston Legal' blows.

cj
03-02-2005, 09:08 AM
I liked The Practice for the first few years, then it turned into a night time soap opera.

Cop shows, I'll take Homicide first. NYPD Blue was very good, though I've lost track the last couple years. David Caruso was still the best in my opinion.

Law and Order, it doesn't seem to matter how many new actors come aboard, it just keeps on trucking with quality shows.

All of them, however, pale in comparison after watching HBO's The Wire. Of course, being a cable channel, it has the advantage of being able to depict reality without cleaning it up for TV.

The Shield is decent also in my opinion.

ponyplayer
03-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Hillstreet Blues was the original and the best, the rest of those type of tv shows have all been wannabees.

Dave Schwartz
03-02-2005, 10:48 AM
PonyPlayer,

Hill Street was the greatest - ("Hey, hey, hey - be careful out there today.")

NYPD was great and I loved it, but I've got to agree that Hill Street was better.

Remember the time when the rookie arrested Capt. Furillo's ex-wife for prostituition? Funniest thing ever. A street guy being arrested is watching the rookie explain to the desk sergeant why he has Fay under arrest and the guy in handcuffs says, "Oh, you are standing in the big doggy's business now!"

Funniest line on television, ever!

Dave Schwartz

Observer
03-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Okay, I might remember things about racing from the 80s, but Hill Street Blues .. not really. For the most part .. I was probably too young to appreciate it .. and it probably wasn't my kind of show back then anyway.

For me .. NYPD Blue was at the perfect time of my growing up, getting old period .. many significant things happened in my life during the 12-year run .. and NYPD Blue was always there through it .. and I was a fan from the very beginning, when there was all that commotion over what an edgy show it was for network TV.

It's weird, because I remember Caruso well, but when I think back that he was only on for one season .. I think, "really, it was one season?!" Now on CSI Miami .. I don't like him so much .. he seems to be playing his role the same way .. only this time around with sunglasses!
:D

As for the finale last night, I finally got to see it .. and I thought they did a great job of wrapping it up.

Regarding The Practice .. ABC totally trashed that show. I could never understand the logic, but ABC brought that giant down. It was great while it latest, but it was clear the writers were pretty aggrivated the last couple of years.

And since I'm ranting about ABC .. I have to say, it annoyed me how they played games with NYPD Blue. I remember not too long ago, Dennis Franz doing a late-night talk show, and when asked if the show was coming back, he said nobody knew. I think there were a couple of seasons where there was uncertainty. So, although I think it sucks that this show is no more, I'm glad they let it go out with a proper finale.

But I still think ABC letting go of NYPD Blue is bullshit!
(Excuse the language .. that's my little tribute to Blue)
;) :eek: ;)

Tom
03-02-2005, 06:24 PM
With NYPD BLue gone, our language standard here is now in turnoil. Are we now reduced to lines like "dad-gum it!", "Shoot!", and "Nuts!" ????
These are indeed dire times. :eek:

BTW, one of the other all time great TV shows ran about the same time as Hill Street Blues - St. Elsewhere.

JustRalph
03-02-2005, 09:30 PM
I vote we go to the Deadwood Standards of conduct!

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/tv.yahoo.com/images/he/photo/tv_pix/hbo/deadwood/ian_mcshane/deadwood_prashantgupta.jpg

toetoe
03-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Hey, who remembers Wiseguy? I loved that show.

Funny coincidence, maybe: Veronica Hamel starred in a t-v movie as a high-class call girl.