PDA

View Full Version : Question

Kreed
03-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Any views on whether its OK for marrieds to have separate checking accts?
I say YES. A joint acct + my own acct. this issue came up in the NY TIMES,
i think, but before that it surfaced with me & Solange, my wife. (April 26 is
our 2nd year of Bliss) ... anyways, also I asked before, but once again, any
thoughts on Larry Summers' views that women might be just Inferior to Guys
in science & math. Once again, I say YES, he's right. (i got my BS degree in
finance & acctg, with a ba in .... drum rolls please, FILM. lol, i still can't recall
if a proton is + or what, and who cares? so, i'm a non-science guy at heart.
yet, i think summers was onto something.

kenwoodallpromos
03-02-2005, 12:32 AM
yes

sq764
03-02-2005, 08:18 AM
My wife and I would be long divorced if we didn't get seperate checking accounts..

When we get paid, we put the bill $$ into the joint account, the money into the baby's savings account, buy the baby a bond, and put a set amount into our investment accounts.. The rest is for each of us to do as we want..

If she wants to buy $500 in shoes, then go nuts.. If I want to buy $500 in crack (or horses), the so be it.. (But somehow each time I cash out on Youbet, she tends to get some.. how is that..)

Before we got married, we fought over money so much it was sickening..

cj
03-02-2005, 09:23 AM
My wife and I have never had different accounts. Always the same bank accounts, and the same credit card accounts. We have nothing to hide from each other. It always amazes me when I hear of couples that have separate accounts. I figured it couldn't be a good sign, but maybe it works for some.

I think its BS about the math and science thing. You can't really generalize about such things. There are many, many brilliant female mathemeticians and scientists.

ps...Derek, we know you didn't get you degree in English! :D

sq764
03-02-2005, 09:55 AM
My wife and I have never had different accounts. Always the same bank accounts, and the same credit card accounts. We have nothing to hide from each other. It always amazes me when I hear of couples that have separate accounts. I figured it couldn't be a good sign, but maybe it works for some.

I think its BS about the math and science thing. You can't really generalize about such things. There are many, many brilliant female mathemeticians and scientists.

ps...Derek, we know you didn't get you degree in English! :D

CJ, I don't think it has anything to do with 'hiding' anything, it has to do with not catching shit about doing what you wish with your money..

If I want to go take $300 to the track, she won't say a word. If she spends that much shopping on clothes, I don't care..

I am surprised that you are amazed, as every single person (that's happily married) that I talked to have seperate accounts.. I figure there has to be a reason..

lsbets
03-02-2005, 10:16 AM
My wife and I only have joint accounts, and it has never created a problem. I guess it depends on the people involved. I couldn't imagine having seperate accounts - we're married, the money is both of ours. I make the occasional comment about the $150 hair cut, but it doesn't bother me.

cj
03-02-2005, 10:40 AM
it has to do with not catching shit about doing what you wish with your money..

That's the difference I guess, I see it as our money, not my money, regardless of who earns it.

sq764
03-02-2005, 10:57 AM
That's the difference I guess, I see it as our money, not my money, regardless of who earns it.
I guess when one person thinks the other is using much more of the money, there can be an issue..

And we were yound and stupid when we fought about money.. (We just never got around to altering the system that was working)

Tom
03-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Derek, the real question is, "Do you tell HER about your account?"

Kreed
03-02-2005, 07:49 PM
tom, i was hypo-thetical. Honest, i know nothing. i'm just asking. really,

JustRalph
03-02-2005, 09:22 PM
I am with CJ on this one..............19 years together.........no problems.

Sq........ "not catching shit" is all in who you caught in the first place.........

sq764
03-02-2005, 09:48 PM
I am with CJ on this one..............19 years together.........no problems.

Sq........ "not catching shit" is all in who you caught in the first place.........
I good women have their stonger points and weaker points.. That is one of her weaker ones..

But she takes care of me, feeds me and is a great mother.. I can overlook one little smudge..

toetoe
03-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Yer b.a. is showing. By the way, I majored in MILF also.

toetoe
03-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Oh yeah, almost forgot my original query. You think Summers is ON something, maybe?