PDA

View Full Version : World Record 5.5 Mil for 2YO Tale of the Cat Colt Today @ Calder

Suff
03-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Hip #58... Just went down an hour ago.

http://www.fasigtipton.com/

TALE OF THE CAT COLT BRINGS WORLD RECORD PRICE AT CALDER JUVENILE SALE

A colt by Tale of the Cat set a world record for a two-year-old at auction Tuesday during the Fasig-Tipton Calder sale of selected two-year-olds in training on a $5.2-million bid by John Ferguson on behalf of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum.

Ferguson, connected by cell phone to Sheikh Mohammed outlasted a long duel with Demi O'Byrne on the opposite side of the podium to land the first foal of the winning Devil's Bag mare Carry All.

"Obviously he's everything you want to see in a racehorse," said Jimmy Bell, who signed the ticket in the name of Darley. "He's a lovely, balanced horse, and obviously has a stallion's pedigree

Observer
03-01-2005, 03:54 PM
That's a lota cash .. good luck to them!

Suff
03-01-2005, 05:47 PM
That's a lota cash .. good luck to them!

Hi Observer

Breeding's an area I'm interested in. Its definitely the weak suit in my bag of handicapping tricks.. But I know enough to get by.

I was watching the sale live via the internet.. When I saw the Tale of the colt cat go for 5 and a half, I started getting interested in Hip 133. A colt from Song and a Prayer... Obviously on the stallion scale.. they're two different animals.. But what I was watching was HIP133 actually had a Quicker one furlong Under tack work out. Both were quick. The 5mil TOC colt, #58 went in 10.3 and the #133 Song and Pray colt went 10.2... So I figure they're both "probably going to run a Low 21.00 1/4'r mile. ...

Hip#58 sells for 5.5 million... Hip#133 sells for 100 grand.

I understand , you got confirmation issues, and bone issues, and stud fee issues.. I know all the moving parts that make #133 and #58 different..

But when a colt sells for 5 and 1/2... I gotta figure the bloodstock agent has "sold" the owner on something very special about the colt. Probably and I would think , hopefully, something the average person cannot..

That raises the question.. what are they worth? do you know what they charge? I'd bet they get a %. And I bet it is near 10. Meaning the BS agent on hip#58 made himself a half million dollars today... just for his advice. You have idea on the specifics of a Bloodstock agents fee?

I also waited to see hip #175... who was also a Tale of the Cat colt.. and IMHO had a better 1st (jade bird)... The first dam (jade bird)had 5 winners from 6 foals... The Dam(carry all) on #58 was 1 for 6 in her racing career..and this is her first Foal. HIP#175 went for 600 grand.

Thanks

Mike

karlskorner
03-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Most B/S Agents work on a "graded" commision scale, no way he picked up a 1/2 mil., but it was a nice days pay.

BIG RED
03-01-2005, 07:14 PM
5.2 mil. gamble. Period. They won't know anything until he comes out of the gate in a race. IMOO

Speed Figure
03-01-2005, 07:26 PM
What's the better gamble?

TALE OF THE CAT/CARRY ALL 5,200,000
C ROBERT N. SCANLON, AGENT DARLEY STUD MANAGEMENT CO LTD

or

FORESTRY/BROAD DYNAMITE 725,000
F HARTLEY/DERENZO THOROUGHBREDS, ROBERT B & BEVERLY J LEWIS

CAT THIEF/FIVE STAR NIGHT 480,000
C M. W. MILLER III, AGENT ROBERT B & BEVERLY J LEWIS

GONE WEST/HEAVENLY RHYTHM 1,000,000
C ROBERT HARRIS, AGENT ROBERT B & BEVERLY J LEWIS

LEMON DROP KID/LA SILA 250,000
C BUBBA WERNER, AGENT ROBERT B & BEVERLY J LEWIS

CryingForTheHorses
03-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Please tell the Shiek I want to train for him! 5.2 Million!!.This horse definitely needs a trainer who will give hima chance and not think he is a rachorse already because of them phoney 1/8 works that are destroying these young horses before they even have a chance. The unfortunate thing is he will go to a "big" trainer where he will be trained as a number and not a individual.Ive seen it a million times..Tons of more dollars to be spent on this guy as money has no limits for this owner....Kind of hard to make that money back. Im sure there is a reason to their spending

Observer
03-01-2005, 11:21 PM
... he will go to a "big" trainer where he will be trained as a number and not a individual ...

That's really not a fair statement.

kenwoodallpromos
03-02-2005, 12:50 AM
I would never let Baffert train that horse for me- it is aimed at the stud farm as soon as possible. The horse needs a very careful trainer. Someone who trains like tom does can put it on all tracks, not just the speed favoring.
Lemnon Drop Kids' offspring is the best bet. Lewises, a decent price, and distance breeding.