PDA

View Full Version : The worst job in sports

karlskorner
02-27-2005, 08:06 PM
According to USATODAY. Number 1 Horse Groom ( the other 9 on the right )

www.usatoday.com/sports/tenworstjobs.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tenworstjobs.htm)

I don't think many h/c's realize the importance of the groom as to the well being of the horse with regard to form, health and general attitude in todays race. Watch the horse and groom when they enter and circle the paddock, part of the answer could be there.

karlskorner
02-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Can'tfind the "delete" thing under the new format.
Could you change to htm and scratch the first post

Tom
02-27-2005, 09:25 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tenworstjobs.htm

kenwoodallpromos
02-27-2005, 11:09 PM
They listed Yanks General Manager as 1 of the worst 10? Very funny.
I wonder where they ranked Sportswriter?

BIG RED
02-28-2005, 09:37 AM
....and a special teams player. Must be terrible to be a profesional football player.

sq764
02-28-2005, 10:02 AM
There was an article yesterday that said the top mascots make in the 6 figure range... That's not a bad chunk of change for wearing a mascot uniform..

ElKabong
02-28-2005, 12:14 PM
add one...Working PR under Mark cuban.... I heard this morning (radio) that he "was very upset" with a guy that works for him. Reason-- He put together a montage` (sp) of teh top 25 plays in Mavs history and played it during a recent game. The guy had the audacity to have one of the plays feature the recently departed Steve Nash, whom Cuban had words with before he left.

kenwoodallpromos
02-28-2005, 12:42 PM
To the writers the only good job in sports is to be a franchise star prima donna who gets arrested every so often! LOL! The people they get paid to write about!

hurrikane
03-01-2005, 12:17 PM
According to USATODAY. Number 1 Horse Groom ( the other 9 on the right )

I don't think many h/c's realize the importance of the groom as to the well being of the horse with regard to form, health and general attitude in todays race. Watch the horse and groom when they enter and circle the paddock, part of the answer could be there.

I agree Karl, I wish we could get more info on who these people are, how long they have been doing this, who and where have they worked and what infractions have occured on their watch.

karlskorner
03-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Over the years I don't think I have met a groom who was interested in the public knowing as to where he came from or who he worked for. As for "infractions" on his watch, I often wonder when I see a groom going to the horsemens $50.00 window at CRC, is he wagering for himself, the Trainer, the Owner, WHO ?

Suff
03-01-2005, 03:52 PM
At Suffolk Grooms get $350 a week. Some guys like Ron Dandy pay 400.00... but most pay $350.00. In addition they get whats called "stakes"... The average groom, grooms 4 or 5 horses. For each win one of thier horses gets, they get the Following... $50.00 for a Claiming win, $100.00 for an allowance win and $500.00 for a Stakes win. The money for wins is paid at the end of the meet. Stakes generally mean "Traveling money"... Because when Suffok Ends.. Most go to Florida,Ohio or Pennsyvania or Maryland.

Most Grooms are Illegal Aliens who speak little english.. They live in a Tack room , or backside dormitory. Mnay have wives who accompany them. The wives are frequently Hot walkers for the same barn... She makes $200.00 a week with no stakes.

They buy rice by the 5 Pound bag.. eat for next to nothing.. Don't spend a dime , or when they do its on Cheap whiskey or bear. So between the 2 of them they bring in 550 a week. Of which 400 goes in the mattress.. and after two or three years they have 30 grand ... the go back to Honduras or Cuba or wherever they are from.. buy a house, start a small business and Live a quality life.

karlskorner
03-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Now on the other hand let's talk Tellers. Not all Tellers are sucking hind tit. The Teller at the $50.00 horsemens window at CRC has a "very" nice home (been there) and the retired Teller on the 4th floor Dining Room at CRC has a home in Golden Isles (on the beach, "how much" ) and came dressed to the "nines" everyday.

JPinMaryland
03-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Most Grooms are Illegal Aliens who speak little english..Don't spend a dime , or when they do its on Cheap whiskey or bear. ..

See? I get the image of latinos but when you say bear I am thinking more like aleut or eskimos or something like that.

I guess Algonquins would probably go for bear too. Are there a lot of Algonquin grooms?

Suff
03-02-2005, 06:09 PM
See? I get the image of latinos but when you say bear I am thinking more like aleut or eskimos or something like that.

I guess Algonquins would probably go for bear too. Are there a lot of Algonquin grooms?

I meant deer... Rice and Deer...... :eek:

Seriously.... my spelling sucks. No excuses.

CryingForTheHorses
03-06-2005, 01:58 PM
A good trainer hires good help!
One of the biggest things in this sport is getting good help and people that you can trust. Nothing worse then a groom abusing a horse in his stall.You have to stay on top of your help and constantly check and watch what they are doing. A groom can ruin a horse but can also make that horse better.If you have bad help it will reflect on your stable.A good trainer can tell if the help is bad by just watching him/her.

Show Me the Wire
03-06-2005, 02:25 PM
The worst job in sports, currently, is being Jeff Mullins trying to win a race with his horses' in detention barns prior to the race. And the strain is showing.