PDA

View Full Version : Question on constructing your own web site

Doc
02-26-2005, 03:15 PM
How do you go about making your own web site? I have Comcast cable as my Internet provider and they give me some rudimentary tools to build a very, very dumbed-down "personal" web page, but I was wondering what steps to take if I want to make a professional one. If any of you can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

Doc

Suff
02-26-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm no expert and hopefully more guys can help you out..

But check and see if you can use an FTP program to upload pages onto or into your server space. FTP = File transfer Protocol.

Then get yourself a decent HTML editor and you can build a good site on your desktop and UPload it into your server space.

IF Comcast forces you to use thier Template...Its pretty cheap to rent 100 megs of space on a server anywhere...

btw... You can get freeware and/or shareware at www.tucows.com

You can pick up both the FTP program and an HTML editor at Tucows for Nothing...

I have'nt built a www site in a few years so I have a feeling my information might be antiquated. But checking out Tucows is worth a start.

JustRalph
02-26-2005, 04:41 PM
This link is just the basics.....on how it works.

http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/intro/thewww3.html

I use Frontpage........from Microsoft.The latest version is pretty good. The older versions....were a mess if you weren't a computer type.

There are are other apps.......like.........Dreamweaver..........but they have a longer learning curve.

I can write html........but plain hate it. So I cheat. There are other programs that allow you to cheat..........I love Flash.......but don't want to learn it. So I bought a program that has built in templates.........like these. I just throw in the graphics and the text........pretty easy.

www.spikespatio.com (http://www.spikespatio.com/)

www.columbuscool.com (http://www.columbuscool.com/)

Lots of options here..............I am sure you will get other replys

kingfin66
02-26-2005, 04:43 PM
It depends on what you are trying to do with your site. If you are trying to build a rudimentary website without much more than text, you can teach yourself by going to a site that has instruction (www.webmonkey.com is an example of such a site). You can also get books that teach you the basic html commands. You would also need to find a good hosting service and register a domain name.

If you are looking for a little bit fancier site for something like e-commerce, then it may pay to just get hooked up with a good web designer. I will plug one that my brother uses, www.atomicwebstudio.com, as an example of a reliable designer at a reasonable price.

A popular program for do-it-yourselfers is Microsoft Front Page. It is a "what you see is what you get" html editor, meaning that you will see how the page looks as you are designing it and it makes the code for you.

cj
02-26-2005, 05:04 PM
I use this one, its free, and it does a nice job.

Doc
02-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your input/advice. I'll be looking into it all in the next couple of days. :)

Buddha
02-26-2005, 11:30 PM
If you need any help, I am a novice and can try to help as well Doc. I have done a few small pages before.