PDA

View Full Version : Pedigree Handicapping by Lauren Stich

Zaf
02-26-2005, 12:01 AM
I just ordered this. Has anybody read this one yet ?

ZAFONIC

kenwoodallpromos
02-26-2005, 01:02 AM
No, just her chapter in Bet with the Best. Interesting

OTM Al
03-01-2005, 12:07 PM
I had a look at it in the bookstore, but it didn't do much for me. Her columns in DRF, though interesting, always seem to be explaining why a horse won because of its bloodlines after the fact. Kind like how everyone suddenly remembered Smarty Jones had some distance bloodlines after he had won the derby, but were all saying he couldn't get the distance before because of other parts of his ancestry. It did seem very thorough in covering stallions and what their offspring tend to do best, but my brain never seems to be able to hold that level of info when I'm capping, so I decided against a purchase.

kitts
03-01-2005, 03:44 PM
I own the book and have read it twice. I find it very helpful if you are willing to dig out the info. I emailed the author with a question and got an answer right away. The question was did she know of anybody that has compiled a database of her "hidden turf" sires. The reply was there were none to her knowledge. The book is definitely worth owning. I also bought the DRF Expo DVD that included her and Tomlinson which was informative but not nearly as much as her book is.

andicap
03-01-2005, 04:11 PM
It's more like a reference book than a handicapping primer although she does have a chapter about pedigree that (I believe) is somewhat controversial. It's about how the dam contributes the class to a foal and the sire much of the other stuff.

Some is speculative, like who the best sires of this year are going to be.

It will be fun at the end of the year to look back and see how good she was in predicting which sires would be good.

If she was very good, I'll buy her next book and read her articles.
If she wasn't very good, I'll ignore her stuff.

Zaf
03-01-2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks Guys,

Well it should be here soon, I'll let you know what I think.

ZAFONIC

46zilzal
03-07-2005, 12:52 AM
The Bride, Ocala Buck, Foyt, Pehetz, Desse Zeny, Defere, Hans Anderson, Surrogate, Alysbelle. Enjoy Plan...great breeding but nothing like their FULL brothers or sisters........

Cahill Road? almost had the potential of his full brother Unbridled.....

It is either happens or it doesn't, nice to be theoretical