PDA

View Full Version : A funny thing happened at the track Wednesday...

Doc
02-24-2005, 12:55 PM
On Wednesday afternoon, the Sports Bar on the 2nd floor of Philly Park was crowded as usual...there was this guy sitting at the bar and suddenly he slumped over, passing out. The bartender called security because he hadn't paid for the last drink he was served, and when they couldn't get him to wake up, they called the local paramedics. When the paramedics got there, they had to fight their way through a big group of guys who were standing in front of one of the televisions shouting, "Come on with the three! Come on with the three!" They finally muscled their way to the passed-out guy, and put him on a stretcher. As they started wheeling him away, one older bettor ran over, tapped one of the paramedics on the shoulder and asked, "Can you tell me how old this guy is? I want to play those numbers in the late double!"

:lol: This is a true story!

toetoe
02-24-2005, 11:55 PM
Your story and the stories of thieves on another thread make me recognize that our betting brethren are pretty low. I always bragged that I never saw fights at the track, whereas at Candlestick Park I used to see one almost every inning. But the track is, for some, just a place to kill time because the exterminator killed the roaches they were planning to wager on. I haven't been back at GGF simulcast in two years or so, but I'm sure it has not changed. The denizens of the deep pack that place to the gills, and it doesn't matter which of them wins, or how much. It's all going back through the windows. If someone scores on the last race, there's always Los Al and trotters upstairs, long into the night.
I'm generalizing, of course, based on the saddest cases, but it's bad. One bright spot is the sellers. Vast majority competent, pleasant, and equipped with i.q.'s > room temperature.

tonto1944
02-25-2005, 09:31 AM
I have a friend Denny ,his Father was at Yonkers Raceway and he played triple he was standing at the finish line when his horses crossed 1,2,3 he had a heart attack and passed away right then.He had a $7400 winning ticket in his hand. A group of people who were there took the ticket and got his address of his ID and sent the ticket to his wife. In the letter they wrote with the ticket they wrote. Anyone who would steal a ticket from a dieing person at the trck would be cursed for ever.And as well they should be.
Now they were some nice people.

Zman179
02-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Now Tonto if the same thing were to happen at Yonkers, not only would the ticket be gone, but so would be his wallet and shoes.