PDA

View Full Version : picking apart the owners field

osophy_junkie
02-23-2005, 05:19 AM
Reid, Sylvia, Shon, Robert and Sherri and Pet, Russell and Doreen

What people would be involved in this group? I am splitting up owner groups into their individuals, and am having difficulting picking apart groups with more than 4 people. The comma and placement of 'and' doesn't make sense. This is from the equibase charts, any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Ed

hurrikane
02-23-2005, 07:51 AM
maybe an instr search for 'and' ',' etc. but it's not an easy thing.

OTM Al
02-23-2005, 09:00 AM
Yeah, these can get a bit confusing. In English what you have here is

Reid, Sylvia
Shon, Robert and Sherri
Pet, Russell and Doreen

When they don't have English names, it can get a little harder to figure. Its how they set the 'and' just before Pet in this one. Look for first names and couple them with the surname they follow until it all adds up

Larry Hamilton
02-23-2005, 09:29 AM
Though I hate to sound negative about any project, this one has driven me nuts for many years. I have come to the following conclusion. Owners name their own company. The grammatical rules the owners follow in the naming process are their own. Here are two you would probably never expect: "Millsap Stable Inc" and "RAY & WENDY NORGAARD; JR." As this was found in the first 30 records of one my dbs, I am sure there are many more that are oddities of grammar and content.

One thing is clear and has always been: there is value in knowing who owns the animal.