PDA

View Full Version : Possible Crypto Crisis

NoDayJob
02-23-2005, 12:55 AM
This should make you feel warm and fuzzy inside concerning your data security (not).

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=80B85141-EC06-4E58-9E10-497A4E1AF75F

NDJ

DJofSD
02-23-2005, 01:04 AM
Read last months SciAm. Quantum Encryption is here. They're unbreakable and all of these methods (PKI, SHA, etc.) are now obsolete.

DJofSD

PaceAdvantage
02-23-2005, 03:06 AM
Hmmm...and I just started reading Digital Fortress....coincidence?

OTM Al
02-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Nothing is unbreakable. New encryptions just become more and more difficult, but anything one man creates another can break

DJofSD
02-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Can be broken? Did you read the article - yes or no?

DJofSD

OTM Al
02-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Nope and it doesn't matter. Nothing is unbreakable. Nothing. It may take years and computer equipment that has only been dreamed of today, but I repeat again, anything that man creates, man can dismantle.

DJofSD
02-25-2005, 09:19 AM
You're either a liberal or a lawyer -- or maybe both.

DJofSD

OTM Al
02-25-2005, 09:30 AM
Um......not sure what that comment is supposed to mean other than you must think that liberals and lawyers are necessarily bad people or something.....let's just say I know a bit about how high end math works and the way the top people in that field love to rise to challenges.

DJofSD
02-25-2005, 09:41 AM
You are wrong -- I don't assume that liberals or lawyers are bad.

You jump to a conclusion without having even read the article. You do not know the basis upon which the technology works.

Go the the public library. Spend the 60 minutes it will take to read it. Once you do you'll understand that the basis of the encryption is not mathematics. It is physics.

DJofSD

OTM Al
02-25-2005, 09:55 AM
And the basis of physics and all other science is mathematics. Thinking a code is unbreakable is the greatest mistake any intelligence orgaization can make. I'm sure the article is fascinating. I love reading about such things. The code for the German Enigma in WWII seemed unbreakable once too, but some very intelligent people figured that out. This new technology is certainly the best yet, but that doesn't mean that people aren't even now trying to figure out how to defeat it because if we can discover and employ this, so can anyone else. Science is not proprietary.