PDA

View Full Version : "Cause I love contests....

OTM Al
02-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Thought I'd let everyone know that the signup for the Spring Showdown at Aqueduct begins thursday, with the contest beginning when the regular track opens on the 16th of March. Will start a thread with my daily picks again and anyone who is playing (or not) is welcome to chime in with their picks for the day as well. Same rules as last time, $10 entry fee, must pick a horse that hits the board each day to advance, all entry money goes back to winners.

Suff
02-22-2005, 08:40 PM
I'm playing... My 3rd time. I played in the First one they did. Which I think was free if my memory serves me right. The popularity is big. Only 10 bucks too.. if it was 25 or 50 the first prize would be 6 Figures.

Only bad part about 10 bucks.. is that people buy 20 or more entries.

I think I lasted a week the first time, maybe 3 the next. Looks easy at first. One horse on the board from 9 races... but its extremely tough to do 5 days a week for x number of weeks.

I love contests as well. I eat them up... If I do well or poorly I still enjoy myself. I like competition.

toetoe
02-22-2005, 09:35 PM
OTM,
I'm the first to acknowledge I'm an annoying, nitpicking SOB (and those are my GOOD qualities), ... BUT ... I must say, for the record, that "the board" means 1st -- 4th. You meant "in the money." I know, I know, ticky-tack foul call. Look at it this way, you're off the liability hook.

2Toe, a.k.a. the motormouthed mingler

hurrikane
02-23-2005, 08:00 AM
I think the toughest part is picking a horse that won't get scratched.

As best I can remember every time I"ve played a showdown I've gotten beat on a fav i was put on after a scratch.

TrackManSam
02-23-2005, 08:18 AM
I believe Hawthorne has a similiar online showdown when they run (which will be soon)! They do it with harness and thoroughbreds.

TrackManSam
www.ventyourfrustration.com (http://www.ventyourfrustration.com)

Buddha
02-23-2005, 11:32 AM
OTM, I am sure that I will give it a go also, and hopefully we can make another nice run.

OTM Al
02-23-2005, 04:11 PM
Buddha---

We did make a decent run on the fall showdown. Just got to do a little better this time. Still remember seeing that horse we both had making his move around the turn and then having his feet go out from under him. Still can say I'll trade losing for having the big fellow be okay any day. Can't remember who, but there was a poster on the board that said he made it to the end, but still didn't win anything because he lost out in the tiebreakers. Hopefully when we get there we can avoid such a pyrhic victory :)

Hurrikane---
I certainly feel your pain on that one. That got me the first couple times I played this. I especially remember getting scratched to a heavy favorite that I knew wasn't going to get into the money. I knew I was dead well before the race even went off. Last time around I took to picking my favorite for the day, plus a backup or two. Aqueduct puts up all changes by 11:15 each race day on their web site, so when I could, I would always check that before posting.

Suff--

I know a lot of people go into multiple entries, but I don't want to get that complicated. Go with one entry and my main pick for the day for me. Guess that comes from the way I play my tickets...nice and compact. Always figured if you think you have to spread that much to cash, you probably don't know what's happening in the race and shouldn't be playing it.

toetoe---

I stand corrected. Learn something new every day I guess :)

Hope to see several people chiming in on this one. If you are the type that doesn't want to share your picks, wait till the days' entry closes and tell us what you did. Guarantee to all, I hit this one, the beers are on me when I get up to Saratoga this summer!

Suff
02-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Buddha---

Suff--

I know a lot of people go into multiple entries, but I don't want to get that complicated. Go with one entry and my main pick for the day for me. Guess that comes from the way I play my tickets...nice and compact. Always figured if you think you have to spread that much to cash, you probably don't know what's happening in the race and shouldn't be playing it.

Hope to see several people chiming in on this one. If you are the type that doesn't want to share your picks, wait till the days' entry closes and tell us what you did. Guarantee to all, I hit this one, the beers are on me when I get up to Saratoga this summer!

These things are fun and I'll post my picks... It hit me last night what the free contest was... I think it was 3 years ago... But it wasn't a showdown.. It was a STABLE game. 20 Horses, 5 trainers, 3 jockeys....and you got points each time they won..or ITM? I forget. But I think that was the very first contest on NYRA dotcom... and it was free. I played and was in the hunt in that one. I used to play the publichandicapper dotcom's all the time as well.

I'm signing up for the MainTrack showdown.. on Saturday.

Good luck AL... Have fun.

OTM Al
02-23-2005, 08:09 PM
They actually still run that game you are talking about at at least one of the Belmont meets and for Saratoga. I always try it, but never do very good. You have to get lucky to have the horses you pick run.

chickenhead
03-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Last chance for anyone interested.....starts tomorrow.

PaceAdvantage
03-16-2005, 02:51 AM
They moved the opening of the main track to Friday...does that mean the contest is delayed as well? According to the website, it is still starting today (Wednesday)

Binder
03-16-2005, 04:29 AM
My goal is to stick around longer than the last time I tried this
I sure hope so since I was done on the first day :confused:
I lasted about a week at Saratoga but Belmont didnt go so well

Good Skill every one

toetoe
03-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Delay it until next week, and I swear I'll catch Handicapper Lite with ...

one ...

final ...

ex-TENSION! YES! Well, maybe?

OTM Al
03-16-2005, 09:09 AM
It starts today. Buddha has started a thread for anyone playing, or anyone interested for that matter, in the selections section.