PDA

View Full Version : SA 8th race Sat.

speedking
02-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Yesterdays 8th race at SA drew 14 entries. This was a MSW at 6F on the MAIN track. 10 horses were allowed to scratch out leaving a field of 4. Disgraceful!

They still had their superfecta though. Paid $13.50 on a $1 bet.

speedking

ratpack
02-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Yesterdays 8th race at SA drew 14 entries. This was a MSW at 6F on the MAIN track. 10 horses were allowed to scratch out leaving a field of 4. Disgraceful!

They still had their superfecta though. Paid $13.50 on a $1 bet.

speedking

Not sure what the alternative was except to cancel the race and nobody was forced at gunpoint to bet the race so if it was cancelled same difference.

Did you want the racing officials to force their owners and trainers to run their Mdns on an off track they did not want to run on. I know if I owned a horse and was forced to run a Mdn in conditions I did not like and that horse got hurt I would get pretty mad.

GMB@BP
02-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Not sure what the alternative was except to cancel the race and nobody was forced at gunpoint to bet the race so if it was cancelled same difference.

Did you want the racing officials to force their owners and trainers to run their Mdns on an off track they did not want to run on. I know if I owned a horse and was forced to run a Mdn in conditions I did not like and that horse got hurt I would get pretty mad.

I think its fair to point out that it was a good race carded with lots of expensive well bred horses, and after that horse slipped and died two weeks ago anyone with a nice horse was probably going to scratch out of that race. I give credit to santa anita for carding as many bad races as possible just so that there were not to many scratches. If the card was filled with straight maidens and allowance races all of the fields would have been that bad (instead of about half).

They did the same thing monday, lots of low level bad races so if its a quagmire that many dont scratch a 16k claimer.

BIG RED
02-20-2005, 12:29 PM
We were talking about that yesterday. You can see scratches coming on bad weather days. But what about SA carding 5 horse races, or 6 horse races with two scratches, in good weather. That's what we are getting tired of. It's happening so much, that, yea, on a bad day we bitch. I used to play that track every day, every race, but now I make more passes there than at a sorority party!

GMB@BP
02-20-2005, 02:38 PM
well there is a horse shortage in socal, thats why the fields dont fill.

whats amazing is teh run for 20k in a race at GP, and they run for 40k at SA, same condition, one race gets 16 entries, another gets 5. I know which one I want my horse in.