PDA

View Full Version : TV Coverage

Valuist
02-19-2005, 09:44 AM
The positives:
We now have not only one but two channels devoted to horse racing. Obviously a positive. TVG's production of the race is excellent; clear picture and sound. HRTV's is ok but not quite as sharp. HRTV has the edge in analysis with Segal and Pincay Jr (III?). ESPN recognizes racing exists; Randy Moss (not THAT Randy Moss, Sq) is pretty solid on analysis. Maybe Moss can finally convince the idiots in production that more cameras are not necessarily a good thing.

The negatives:
Camera work from the major networks and ESPN. Will they ever get it? Will they ever just use the track's feed and not the million camera angles? The only new innovative camera view I liked was the overhead view, and that should only be used in a replay, not during the running of a race. Dramamine should sponsor the Triple Crown; you need to take it avoid motion sickness watching a network broadcast. To TVG: less talk and more racing. Racing didn't begin in 1999. It was around long before you existed. And people do watch the channel who don't have TVG betting accounts, and also not everyone is a beginner. I don't like being talked down to.

Pace Cap'n
02-19-2005, 10:31 AM
And let's not forget the final race in the American Dream Derby airs Monday night. The last race at SA. For all the marbles.

kingfin66
02-19-2005, 12:31 PM
There is an angle that comes from the Fair Grounds beam that I just can't get enough of. It is the low side shot of the horses in mid-stretch. It shows a great picture of the horses running and moving, combining the side and head on views. Has anybody noticed this?

Valuist
02-19-2005, 12:37 PM
I've noticed it and to be quite honest, I don't care for it. Camera cuts in general throw the viewer off.

fouroneone
02-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Let me play devil's advocate here for a second

#1 - I find TVG's production HORRIBLE. They butcher the live feeds, show only win odds 99% of the time, tape delay races that could have been shown live and show way too many races from Los Ala. HRTV has a much more clear and informative delivery of odds and graphics.

#2 - Everyone I know who loves Horses, but are not cappers (i.e. they love to watch horses race, but are not interested in gambling) ALL agree that simulcast feeds are the most boring thing to watch in the world, and when horse racing is on a major network there is something about the production and camera angles that makes it fun and enjoyable to watch.

Not necessecarily my opinons, but they do exist.