PDA

View Full Version : A remarkable film

LutherCalvin
02-17-2005, 11:11 PM
The film "To End All Wars" takes place in a Japanese prison camp during WWII and portrays the struggle of the prisoners to retain their dignity in an inhumane situation. It is based on a 1962 book, "Through the Valley of the Kwai", by Ernest Gordon, who survived the horror of the prison camp, and eventually became the Dean of Chapel at Princeton University for 26 years. It deals with the same situation as the David Lean film, "The Bridge on the River Kwai", using forced labor to construct a railway in Thailand and Burma. The film has four main characters; Major Cambell who plans to escape and seek revenge on his captors; Yanker, a self centered American; Dusty, a Christian, and Ernest, an agnostic who aspires to be a teacher, and actually crates a "jungle university" for his co-prisoners. There are several main Japanese characters who represent their culture: the camp commander, his second in command, and a translator for the camp. The film shows the world views of the eastern culture (conformity to the group norms gives life meaning) in conflict with the western culture (individual freedom). The value systems of the Bushido Code and Christianity are also explored. This is a profound movie and worthy of multiple viewings. Has anyone here seen it?

freeneasy
02-19-2005, 01:43 PM
but i have to figure out how to set up the new dvd player i bought. that one will definately now be on my list

46zilzal
02-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Hotel Rwanda, ture story about a fellow who, regardless of their ethnicity, saved a lot of people in that crazy genocide.

Fred
02-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Yes, I was fortunate it enough to catch it by chance a couple of weeks ago. Very intense but well done movie.

Freddy

Kreed
02-21-2005, 10:16 PM
WOW what a great film & thank you. i hadn't heard of it, and K.S. waS so
always in character. (read your post, googled the REview, walked 2 my vid
store, got the dvd, & well, the rest is hollywood, lol.) cool, keep up the
reviews. hey, maybe a movie review would be cool?