PDA

View Full Version : NYRA board shut down

jeebus1083
02-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Happened this afternoon... what gives???

MartyZee
02-17-2005, 05:31 PM
They closed the board down because of insults and slander; I posted there occasionally and you did have a few characters but you'll fnd that all over; I think the truth behind the shut down is that the NYRA couldn't take all the criticism thrown at them;

PaceAdvantage
02-17-2005, 05:35 PM
I don't know...the few times I lurked there, I saw plenty of libel going on, especially towards trainers....

MartyZee
02-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Like I said; They did have there share of characters but a few ruined it for everyone;They did have some pretty good handicappers

GeTydOn
02-17-2005, 05:48 PM
a few ruined it for everyone

isn't that always the case?? that's the way of life.

Kreed
02-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Don't be ridickulous .... Individual posters had nothing to do with that room's
demise. #1, it was an awful room, populated by careless cappers. #2, NYRA
has soo0000 many problems, with so many guardians, they don't need any
other spotlights. In their case, it should have happened before now; but NO,
this is the NET, and why won't you deal with that reality, NOT a class in
sipping tea.

jeebus1083
02-17-2005, 06:21 PM
First off, I have made quite a few friends through that room, and have improved my handicapping ten-fold. I had recently become NYRA.com Message Board's primary Mountaineer handicapper (the "Jeebus for WV Governor '05" gimmick). We all liked to have fun. Sure there was unnecessary drama and bickering at times, but you find that anywhere you go. If anything, I think Bruno Zaubil the webmaster simply let certain things go too far. He needed to regulate that board better, to keep the ingrades from ruining everything. I recall a few times how he would ban certain members then un-ban them. Awful moderation if you ask me. Maybe if you were a regular member of the NYRA board like I have been for the past year, you would have a little bit of appreciation for that page.

MartyZee
02-17-2005, 06:32 PM
I think the board was shut down because The NYRA couldn't take the heat that was thrown at them. Granted the new administration has made some positive changes for the bettor( the new tote machines; for example);But overall they are still failing miserably in their attempt to rectify problems; honestly I'm not a negative person but I do find it hard to say anything positive about the NYRA.

Kreed
02-17-2005, 06:37 PM
I certainly did NOT want to pain YOU any more than the closing did, but I will
stick to my criticism ... as for Bruno, he was an idiot, maybe he still is, but
i use to E him relentlessly, and he never even responded. So U are right,
he wasn't engaged in running that room; maybe he dinT like peoples, sorta a forest ranger, preferring 2 b alone, hardly a webmaster's persona. anyways,
what U or even me thinks is NOT pertinent, is it, cause U liked the room but
do U have the influence to revive it? Sobbing won't bring it back. PS:
MARTY ZEE ... beautifully said.

jeebus1083
02-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Whining and crying won't do a damn thing. Still sucks though.

PaceAdvantage
02-17-2005, 06:50 PM
honestly I'm not a negative person but I do find it hard to say anything positive about the NYRA.

Here's an important one....lowest takeouts in the country....how's that?

MartyZee
02-17-2005, 06:52 PM
That is awesome; good reply.

PaceAdvantage
02-17-2005, 06:52 PM
I recall a few times how he would ban certain members then un-ban them. Awful moderation if you ask me.

I'm guilty of that. Just ask Derek2u, or Kreed....one in the same....

Perhaps I should learn a lesson from Bruno and return to a hard-ass no-tolerance stance....hmmmm....

Kreed
02-17-2005, 07:47 PM
That's just why NYRA's room failed --- u gotta find the right Mix. #1 ... know
who the real players are. #2 ... its the NET, not your private Room. #3 .. why
thwart intelligence? I've saved many many rooms from total ennui ... Do U think
that THIS room is my only? LOL ... in many ways i'm like Paris Hilton ... pay HER
and IF she enters YouR club, many will Follow. Now, be honest, how many sane
peeps would be enticed by JustRalph or Lefty or BoxCar? Yawns can b heard.

westny
02-17-2005, 08:02 PM
I think the board was shut down because The NYRA couldn't take the heat that was thrown at them. Granted the new administration has made some positive changes for the bettor( the new tote machines; for example);But overall they are still failing miserably in their attempt to rectify problems; honestly I'm not a negative person but I do find it hard to say anything positive about the NYRA.

And YOU question WHY the NYRA board was shut down? Maybe your endless streams of drivel and complaints about NYRA contributed.

Nothing positive with NYRA racing compared to where else? CA with workmen's comp problems and 4 horse fields? Gulfstream with a steady diet of 12k claiming races except on weekends? MD racing going down the tubes w/o slots? MA racing trying to get slots to survive. Looked at the purses in MA when they race?

75% of NYRA's "perceived" problems are the direct result of political manipulations in Albany. Barry Schwartz was the MOST fan oriented exec NYRA has ever has had...Schwartz couldn't cure the real or perceived ills NYRA amassed during the Kenny Noe 25 year reign in 4 years.

When the takeout goes up and the track prices go up, THEN you will really have something to complain about.

MartyZee
02-17-2005, 08:17 PM
This is America and people are entitled to their opinion; I' m just stating truths;

westny
02-17-2005, 08:20 PM
This is America and people are entitled to their opinion; I' m just stating truths;

No, you are stating YOUR OPINION. Nothing more.

PaceAdvantage
02-17-2005, 08:24 PM
It may be America, but it was NYRA's message board. They set the rules. I guess enough people didn't play by those rules, and NYRA didn't want to manage the situation any longer.

Quite understandable.

toetoe
02-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Kreed2Me,
I'm hosting an ennui-holics anonymous bash, and we'd like you to speak. We'll be having, .. well, .. tea, but you can gulp yers.

p.s. Marty, "changed for the bettor" is classic.

MartyZee
02-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Glad you liked it; My best to you

Suffolk OTB
02-17-2005, 09:26 PM
I was a regular at the NYRA board. And it was a zoo at times. But it also represented a true crossection (sp?) of NY racing. It was truly an on-line OTB, with some serious cappers, some fruitcakes, and many somewhere in between.

Marty Z (I believe that is his name) is 100% right. NYRA could no longer take getting bashed on their own web site. This is a NYRA fighting for their lives, getting attcked at all ends. All is fair in love and war..NYRA is in a war. One that they will lose. And you can wave bye bye to the lowest takeout in teh country. Raising Belmont prices was the next to last straw--the takeout is next.

PaceAdvantage
02-17-2005, 09:32 PM
NYRA is in a war. One that they will lose.

Now...where have I heard stuff like this before.....hmmmmmm...let me ponder....

And oh yeah, I don't think takeout is going anywhere either....

keilan
02-17-2005, 09:33 PM
That's just why NYRA's room failed --- u gotta find the right Mix. #1 ... know
who the real players are. #2 ... its the NET, not your private Room. #3 .. why
thwart intelligence? I've saved many many rooms from total ennui ... Do U think
that THIS room is my only? LOL ... in many ways i'm like Paris Hilton ... pay HER
and IF she enters YouR club, many will Follow. Now, be honest, how many sane

AHHH derek where-o-where do you come up with this stuff, I just about pissed myself laffin on this one. :lol:

But seriously you gotta cut toetoe some slack, he just wants to be pals with u.

JustRalph
02-17-2005, 09:45 PM
Now, be honest, how many sane

speaking of enticing.........run any new ads lately?

Suffolk OTB
02-17-2005, 09:51 PM
Mr. PA...NYRA has scrounged for every nickel they can--and the sacred Belmont tickets . Now they have to pay for all of these drug tests for milkshakes. Where will that money come from?? Yup---takeout!!

TravisVOX
02-17-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm saddened by the closing of the NYRA.com board and like everyone else, I was immediately seeking a replacement. It dawned on me that I can run forums on my website (racecalling.com) and thought it would be a nice place to park our NY community.

The address is http://community.racecalling.com/index.php

Spread the word and enjoy!...

Travis (knicks23)

breakage
02-17-2005, 11:16 PM
AHHH derek where-o-where do you come up with this stuff, I just about pissed myself laffin on this one. :lol:
And in case you're confused Dirk we're not laughing with you.

rokitman
02-17-2005, 11:17 PM
This board closing seems to indicate to me that NYRA is cracking under the current pressure. I mean, closing a message board because there's nitwits saying stupid things on it?

PaceAdvantage
02-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Mr. PA...NYRA has scrounged for every nickel they can--and the sacred Belmont tickets . Now they have to pay for all of these drug tests for milkshakes. Where will that money come from?? Yup---takeout!!

When they announce a rise in takeout, you let me know. I'm holding you to this assumption.

andicap
02-18-2005, 01:39 AM
Will they save ANY money closing the board. Did they dedicate a single employee to it that they can layoff?
Just wondering. Never populated the board myself.

BIG RED
02-18-2005, 01:53 AM
The Bloodhorse board was closed last fall. For one reason, they said. To many a-holes with personal attacks. They just didn't want to put up with trying to track the 'new' members and police the site. So they sqashed it. That's all, nothing said against them, just easier that way and no revenue lost.

A few bad apples does it again :ThmbDown:

PaceAdvantage
02-18-2005, 03:21 AM
Exactly.

Not everything is a conspiracy. Remember my favorite term this year -- Occam's Razor (or Ockham for the purists among us).

Ock·ham's razor also Oc·cam's razor
n.
A rule in science and philosophy stating that entities should not be multiplied needlessly. This rule is interpreted to mean that the simplest of two or more competing theories is preferable and that an explanation for unknown phenomena should first be attempted in terms of what is already known. Also called law of parsimony.

PaceAdvantage
02-18-2005, 03:36 AM
BTW, one of the reasons given for the closure of the NYRA message board was "Repeated posting of copyrighted material"

Anyone know what that refers to?

I know most folks would like to believe a more sinister reason exists for the removal of the NYRA message board, but all these little things add up over time, and when it reaches upper levels of management, do you think for a minute these guys are going to want to go to bat for something that gives them nothing but headaches in return for little if any benefit?

And pardon me for saying, but the NYRA message board itself was kind of wimpy. I don't believe there was even a search function!! It was total bare bones. It's not like it can't be easily replaced.

If you're looking for real time handicapping, there's always the selections forum here, or the WAR ROOM (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/FlashChat/flashchat.php).

Carry on...

TravisVOX
02-18-2005, 08:34 AM
The "wimpy" aspect PA though is what attracted most of us. No thrills or bells and whistles, most of the time, straight-up horse talk.

melman
02-18-2005, 08:58 AM
As long as the Pace Advantage board stays in operation things are fine, just fine. :D Even getting more posts in the harness racing section which is nice for this old Jug Head. I like all the recent upgrades that PA has put in place including the new War Room. Just that once in a while have a hard time getting into the room. Nice people in that War Room and very very little "flames" just some good natured back and forth. Even have a nice chat with that Kreed or Derek or whatever LOL . BTW Kreed going to post some buggy picks on a more regular basis so check out the harness section as you were asking me about harness and said you did have a good time on your trip to The Meadowlands.

PaceAdvantage
02-18-2005, 09:41 AM
The "wimpy" aspect PA though is what attracted most of us. No thrills or bells and whistles, most of the time, straight-up horse talk.

Just to be clear, I wasn't so much criticizing the content as I was the functionality. It would have been nice to run a search every now and then, that's all I'm saying.

Pubby
02-18-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm going to miss the NYRA board, especially Suffolk. His handicapping comments were usually the most thought out and insightful. Jeebus, 1/4 pole also very good.

Suff
02-18-2005, 10:57 AM
I'd love to see more NY Players post here. This Board is Probably the most "NY centered" board on the net now that NYRA.com is gone. If we could get the Daily breakdowns of the cards and the results that they used to do at Nyra.com , That'd be great. Lots of those people played in the NYRA room like we use our warroom... If I had a question about a result that could'nt be answered by the chart, that room always had a long thread on it.

There was a Lot of good players in there. alas, Personality took it down. Too Bad. I'd love to see the cream of the crop land here.... Please. By All means,, Take over the selections forum and Jump in the waroom.. You can even create a NY ONLY Room in there.

As far as the bad Blood.

Insulting people is common on the internet. Mainly for 2 reasons I believe.

1. Its easy to do.
2. Most people are angry. for any number of reasons

Angry they're losing, they hate they're wife, They're broke, They hate thier kids, They hate themsleves, They feel powerless, They have a small Penis..... whatever the reason. People nowadays are just pissed.. Pissed at thier boss's, Pissed at the Govt, Pissed at the Illegal Aliens who take the jobs, Pissed at Tax's, Pissed at the Liberals.

You see it here... People throw insults around like nothing. Thankfully, its only a few and even more thankfully, its primarily in OFF TOPIC.

TravisVOX
02-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Just to be clear, I wasn't so much criticizing the content as I was the functionality. It would have been nice to run a search every now and then, that's all I'm saying.

Certainly, I didn't take your post as that at all. Just indicating how surprisingly, the "basic layout" was enough for most that posted. Interesting if you ask me...

Larry Hamilton
02-18-2005, 12:24 PM
It isnt that complicated. A search function allows all the readers to assign responsiblity for comments. So if your handle is Reekd and you have something particularly insulting to say, you are well hidden. Not only do others not know who you are, they cant prove what you say. Its like getting courage from a whiskey bottle.

kingfin66
02-18-2005, 01:46 PM
I'd love to see more NY Players post here. This Board is Probably the most "NY centered" board on the net now that NYRA.com is gone. If we could get the Daily breakdowns of the cards and the results that they used to do at Nyra.com , That'd be great. Lots of those people played in the NYRA room like we use our warroom... If I had a question about a result that could'nt be answered by the chart, that room always had a long thread on it.

There was a Lot of good players in there. alas, Personality took it down. Too Bad. I'd love to see the cream of the crop land here.... Please. By All means,, Take over the selections forum and Jump in the waroom.. You can even create a NY ONLY Room in there.

As far as the bad Blood.

Insulting people is common on the internet. Mainly for 2 reasons I believe.

1. Its easy to do.
2. Most people are angry. for any number of reasons

Angry they're losing, they hate they're wife, They're broke, They hate thier kids, They hate themsleves, They feel powerless, They have a small Penis..... whatever the reason. People nowadays are just pissed.. Pissed at thier boss's, Pissed at the Govt, Pissed at the Illegal Aliens who take the jobs, Pissed at Tax's, Pissed at the Liberals.

You see it here... People throw insults around like nothing. Thankfully, its only a few and even more thankfully, its primarily in OFF TOPIC.

You crack me up Suff. Don't forget the anonymity of the internet. People can freely take cheap shops not knowing whether the person they're smarting off to is a 140 lb. Milquetoast or a 240 lb. ass kicker. People aren't so quick to pop off when they are physically imtimidated by someome.

Usually, when somebody has a small p****s, they will overcompensate by buying a very large truck...

John
02-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Yeah, you never know who is on the internet. It could be a shut-in that is heavy on medicine and out of it. or someone who is angry, drinks to much and could care less what he saying. Or just a guy who likes to yank your chain.

Doc
02-18-2005, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=Suff] Pissed at the Liberals.

QUOTE]

What's there to be pissed at liberals about? I get more pissed at jocks that stiff horses at Philly Park than at any political group.

Doc

Suff
02-18-2005, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=Suff] Pissed at the Liberals.

QUOTE]

What's there to be pissed at liberals about? I get more pissed at jocks that stiff horses at Philly Park than at any political group.

Doc

Looks like the NY Crowd got something going thats a Little better than the google group. They signed up 50+ so far. I signed up and wished them luck.

If anyone is looking for them.. They are now at

http://community.racecalling.com/index.php

JustRalph
02-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Digital Re-incarnation

tonto1944
02-20-2005, 03:42 PM
The board was awful. They had so called handicappers on there who when they picked a winner Banged all over the place. And a few thought they controlled the board and if they didn't like you they would ridicule you and threaten to have you kicked off.
The problem was they complained to Bruno so much that he got disgusted and shut it down. Certain people who posted felt they ran the board. So their ego's got the board shut down. I feel sorry for the one's who just wanted to share info and didn't bang all over if they hit.

Tom
02-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Hopefully you will be happier here. We talk horses a lot, and some guys really know their stuff. No strutting, just good handciappers. Check out the WarRoom any weekend.

the little guy
02-20-2005, 05:52 PM
I know pretty much the reason the NYRA board was shut down, and while the potentially libelous comments are part of the story, the actual reason is fairly obvious if you step back and think about it.

NYRA was the ONLY racetrack in America that had a chat room on their message board. Truthfully, I have always found this strange, as why would a racetrack want to have a zoo like that causing them potential headaches. It is their site and a case could be made that NYRA is responsible for ANYTHING said there. Is it possible that the current stranglehold on NYRA influences their decisions? Well, of course, only an idiot would see things otherwise. But, considering the possible hassles, they were simply foolish to start one in the first place.

It is one thing for us to voice our own anonymous ( well, I'm not anonymous ) opinions here, on a private site, but for a racetrack to do it seems, at least to me, to be an unnecessary can of worms. Let's face it, horse racing chat rooms are filled with libelous claims, unfortunately many of them are true, and while we all probably feel this is good for the game, is it good for a racetrack, especially one under as much scrutiny as NYRA, to be directly associated with that?

RunningWild
02-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Hmm I think some other tracks have Chat Boards One comes to mind Del-Mar

the little guy
02-20-2005, 05:58 PM
You're right, they do, sorry.

I can't think of any others. Can you?

Suff
02-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Its a Double edge sword. Some large Companys have message Boards where interested partys can discuss everything from Health benefits to Company Policy. I read an article this week about Cahners Publishing, where the Moral and Chat was so "anti-company" they blocked the URL to company computers...

From my perspective , what I liked most about that Board was the ability to get more detailed opinons on particular races or Horses. It is of No Consequence to anyone.. People like me, or people that posted everyday, what or who hosts the Message board. They have a new site and those that Liked it can go there.

Now that They do not have Bruno doing any moderating it may be tougher than it looks to run a successful message board. I checked in today and they have 118 members going. Thats a Good start. But if personalitys abound and the moderator doesn't manage it properly it may be hard to sustain.

the little guy
02-20-2005, 06:22 PM
I guess when you're an arrogant know-it-all like me you don't need to see or hear other people's opinions.

Suff
02-20-2005, 06:31 PM
and another story about message Boards...

I was Listening to The Sean Hannity Show On the radio while I drfited off to sleep the other night and he got into a Big thing about the message board at the FreeRepublic. A conservative web site. I guess he used to post there along with other notables. He went on and on about how people were attacking him and others on the board. And he really sounded like he got his feelings hurt pretty badly on a Message Board. It got me thinking about how mainstream internet message boards have become.

At the same time I was thinking.. "Geesh.. Toughen up Hannity, Its only a message board!" He went on and on about it. he was even using the "users names" of posters he disagreed with. It was enlightening.

On another related note. I have a couple of friends that work at Harvard Business school, and I'm at the Spangler Center a couple of times a week. They have a Nice cheap cafetria and I go over to see my friends and have lunch. Well the next day I was over there and I jumped on a PC, because I wanted to see what the message board at www.freerepublic.com was all about. and I got.. "Sorry. Net Nanny has Blocked this site".... LOL... I think theres a Litte cencorship going on there because I have Logged into my TVG, X-pressbet account from there many times to make a bet.. as well as other mature sites... I found it a Little funny that H-Vard Biz school barred freerepublic. There might be a history there that I'm not aware of. Still.. Made me think.

the little guy
02-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Probably not as scary as it is for Harvard Business School to have you hanging around there! :cool:

Suff
02-20-2005, 06:42 PM
a few weeks ago I was sitting there waiting for someone and I downloaded a card, and logged into my account and was trying to get the NY Video going and it stalled on me bad. So My friend shows up and I say.. Hey I got this computer locked up and I don't want to just shut it down..

So she comes over and starts fiddling with it.. and I was sorta embarressed because There was this Huge PDF Past Performance File and a TVG interface with Odds and Entries... She just looked at me and shook her head! .... :D

TrackManSam
02-21-2005, 06:45 AM
Message Boards can start out with good intent, but man if they aren't kept under control, look out. I know Barntowire.com was mentioned on another thread. That board is simply out of control. Very little racing is discussed there. Its all personal vendettas and grief. Thats why I like this message board. You can exchange thoughts without worrying about getting your head bitten off.

TrackManSam
www.ventyourfrustration.com (http://www.ventyourfrustration.com)