PDA

View Full Version : Nullify or Astericks Home Run Records

Bobby
02-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Do you guys think they should take down or just nullify all the home run records (& other records) achieved while on steriods?

I don't think there's any doubt that Bonds, McGwire, and SOSA too used steroids?

According to ESPN.COM, Mike Greenwood wants to be the 1988 or 1989 MVP instead of JOSE DECANSECO?

I think they should strip em all.

sq764
02-17-2005, 04:15 PM
What proof do you have that they used steroids? Although there's a pretty good chance they were on them, it's basically heresay without evidence.

And you can test and find out these guys are NOW on steroids, but there is no 100% way to prove they WERE on steroids..

sq764
02-17-2005, 04:16 PM
...and it's Mike Greenwell..

Bobby
02-17-2005, 04:44 PM
excuse me mike greenwell. still a relative unknown but
it doesn't matter if its Jose Blow. Canseco said he took steroids and was league MVP in 1988. So was caminiti in 96. I think they should at least take down the home run records and place an asterick by the MVPs. You know steroids MUST'VE helped them. Why would Canseco lie? Ok maybe to sell a book. But he claims to have injected McGwire with roids. Bonds admits he used them, so does Giambi. Sheffield still denies it, and all you gotta do is look at SOSA and tell he uses them.

In addition, can you really place roid athletes like Bonds up there with Ruth. Bonds will probably break Aaron's record too.

And it doesn't matter if it was not against baseball rules to use steroids b/c it's against the law.

sq764
02-17-2005, 05:13 PM
So what if Roger Maris said that Joe Dimaggio took steroids? Do you asterist his 56 game hitting streak?

Whether or not these guys did steroids, you cannot take the word of someone that they did, you would need hard proof.

And lastly, until this season coming up, steroids were not a violation in MLB, so really, how could you penalize their stats? Technically, they did not break any rules.

Bubbles
02-17-2005, 05:32 PM
I thought everyone learned their lesson about asterisks with Maris. What did that do? NOTHING.

The records are in question, but there is absolutely no concrete proof that all the big sluggers took steroids.

Valuist
02-17-2005, 05:43 PM
There is some concrete evidence, at least in the guys who testified before a grand jury that they took them (Giambi and Bonds). But what Greenwell is asking for is ridiculous.

sq764
02-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Bottom line is they could have test tubes with verifiable steroid use from every one of those players BUT so what?

Steroids were not against MLB rules, so why would they be penalized?

Bobby
02-17-2005, 05:56 PM
B/C it's against federal and state laws, both of which supercede MLB rules.

sq764
02-17-2005, 07:36 PM
And you can prove they used steroids how?

sq764
02-17-2005, 07:38 PM
And how do state and federal laws supercede pro sports? Do you think if a player tests positive for illicit drugs they are turned over to the authorities by the respective pro team?? :D

Suff
02-17-2005, 07:45 PM
excuse me mike greenwell. still a relative unknown .

50 years with ONLY 4 guys watching the wall.

Williams-Yaz-Rice-Greenwell.

Mentoring and all that 'Yaz'
by Richard L. Narva

Like the legendary Red Sox left fielders, a family business founder is a tough act to follow. Mentors must prepare successors to bear the burdens associated with the role.

When a left fielder takes his position in front of The Green Monster -- the 37-foot wall that has loomed over left field in Boston's Fenway Park since 1914 -- he knows he's playing in the shadow of past Red Sox stars Ted Williams and Carl Yastrzemski. This is a daunting predicament for even the most talented player. Boston's left-field wall is more than just a structure; it represents the team's fabled history.

Like the successors to Yastrzemski and Williams, next-generation members of prosperous family businesses must learn to walk in the footsteps of a virtuoso. The legendary feats and talents of the founding generation tower over them each business day -- building a multimillion-dollar business from scratch, surviving the Great Depression, growing the company while avoiding crippling debt.

chickenhead
02-17-2005, 08:11 PM
how do you "take down" a home run record? Do you say they didn't count? Go back and adjust the scores?

They hit the homeruns, and as SQ says it was not against MLB rules...

kingfin66
02-17-2005, 11:51 PM

:D :D :D :D

Baseball players have long been notorious for using uppers (greenies?), which are illegal. Should be just wipe out all the records and start over?

sq764
02-18-2005, 09:19 AM
:D :D :D :D

Baseball players have long been notorious for using uppers (greenies?), which are illegal. Should be just wipe out all the records and start over?
And I certainly think LT and Michael Irvin should be ousted from the Hall of Fame for their very open, very public crack and prostitute usage..

Bobby
02-18-2005, 10:05 AM
well, crack and prostitutes don't make you the super athlete that roids supposedly do. yea, i think maris should probably still be #1 for HR in a year assuming one can prove mcgwire used roids that year. I think Bonds has already admitted he did. Ya know SOSA does em--he's not hiding anything.

And I certainly don't Bonds should be #1 HR hitter of all time like he's probably gonna be cause of this stuff.

chickenhead
02-18-2005, 10:19 AM
do you think Bonds was on roids last year?

Bobby
02-18-2005, 10:27 AM
yea, compare pictures of bonds from the mid 90's with the late 90's, early 00's. He's using more than BALCO's "cream."

chickenhead
02-18-2005, 10:35 AM
you didn't answer my question, but anyway...here Skip Bayless' take, I was surprised to read this coming from him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/041210

sq764
02-18-2005, 10:52 AM
well, crack and prostitutes don't make you the super athlete that roids supposedly do. yea, i think maris should probably still be #1 for HR in a year assuming one can prove mcgwire used roids that year. I think Bonds has already admitted he did. Ya know SOSA does em--he's not hiding anything.

And I certainly don't Bonds should be #1 HR hitter of all time like he's probably gonna be cause of this stuff.
You're one point was that steroids were against state and federal laws, which 'supercede MLB rules'..

Maybe I missed the changes in law, but wasn't crack and prositution illegal? (with the exception of certain counties in Nevada)??

Bobby
02-18-2005, 11:06 AM
I don't know about last year.

skip bayless: NUTS. he must be wanting a bonds interview/book or something

betchatoo
02-18-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't know about last year.

skip bayless: NUTS. he must be wanting a bonds interview/book or something

You don't believe in the theory that you're innocent until proven guilty?

Bobby
02-18-2005, 02:20 PM
SKIP BAYLESS WROTE:

Several Bay Area media members I respect -- guys who knew Bobby Bonds -- believe Barry was taught far too much respect for the game to stoop to steroids.

=====

That is essentially what Skip beleives if you read the article. Bonds has admitted to a federal grand jury that he has used "cream" or juice. Now this crap about how he thought it was Ben-Gay don't fly. Do you believe that?

sq764
02-18-2005, 02:43 PM
SKIP BAYLESS WROTE:

Several Bay Area media members I respect -- guys who knew Bobby Bonds -- believe Barry was taught far too much respect for the game to stoop to steroids.

=====

That is essentially what Skip beleives if you read the article. Bonds has admitted to a federal grand jury that he has used "cream" or juice. Now this crap about how he thought it was Ben-Gay don't fly. Do you believe that?
No, my personal opinion is that Bonds, McGwire and Sosa all used steroids. If I were a betting man, I would bet the house that they did, no doubt.

BUT, there is absolutely no way to prove it, so their accomplishments are not tainted at all.

chickenhead
02-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Bonds has admitted to a federal grand jury that he has used "cream" or juice. Now this crap about how he thought it was Ben-Gay don't fly. Do you believe that?

I don't KNOW. I tend to agree with SQ, but I also know that something you rub on your skin or put under your tongue is not the first thing I think of when I think of steroids. I think of needle injections. So it is POSSIBLE Bonds thought the same thing. Not saying it's likely, just that I don't know enough to say that it's not possible that he thought that.

Same goes for Sheff. McGwire has admitted to using steroids, legal ones at that time. Giambi has admitted to using illegal steroids knowingly. Sosa I don't know, and don't really care.

For Bonds and Sheff they say they didn't know this cream was a steroid, and I can't say for certain they are lying.

sq764
02-18-2005, 03:22 PM
I never heard Giambi admit he used steroids.. I heard him apoligize for the whole ordeal, but not admit anything..

Bobby
02-18-2005, 03:53 PM
giambi admitted to fed grand jury

kingfin66
02-19-2005, 01:07 AM
I never heard Giambi admit he used steroids.. I heard him apoligize for the whole ordeal, but not admit anything..

Does anybody have any idea what young Jason apologized for? I know he is very sorry, but I just don't know for what exactly.

He will remain one of my favorite ballplayers. I hope that he can come back and have a great year as a clean ballplayer, and show that he never needed the steriods in the first place.

sq764
02-19-2005, 08:43 AM
Does anybody have any idea what young Jason apologized for? I know he is very sorry, but I just don't know for what exactly.

He will remain one of my favorite ballplayers. I hope that he can come back and have a great year as a clean ballplayer, and show that he never needed the steriods in the first place.
Unfortunately he may have continued health problems, as most of the steroid ridden players do.. It's a real shame they do this to themselves.

kenwoodallpromos
02-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Bobby
Ala hockey fights? LOL.
Nonsense to penalize anyone if it was legal.
Instead of taking back Jose's steals or adding K's to Bonds, why not boost everyone's hitting stats since Nolan, Martinez, etc. were using steroid sliders and strikeouts? You think the pitchers get that violent without steroids? LOL.