PDA

View Full Version : Robert C. Farran

anotherdave
04-11-2002, 01:48 PM
I was rummaging through my books and found a couple of publications by Robert C. Farran (from the early to mid 70s). After all these years I had forgot about it. He did some interesting things for the time. Mostly looking for edge in early speed, speed, and class (purse values). He looked for VERY high percentage plays and bet 5% win or 10% place with apparently very short losing streaks. I don't know if it would work today. Just wondering, does anyone remember him? Is he still around?

AD

offtrack
08-13-2008, 07:25 PM
I attended a seminar in NYC put on by Mr Farran, sometime around 1975. Two
days in a small NY hotel room, and Mr Farron was sick throughout.
Pre-computer days, all the work was done with pencil and paper.
If I remember right he taught the class to look for early speed advantaged horses that also had a true class factor advantage.
He showed us that he bet these high percentage plays agressively.

BeatTheChalk
08-13-2008, 07:42 PM
I remember the " dude." He had been around since the 60's. Always sort of
confused him with Burt Fabricand. Now THIS guy was out there :jump: My friend tried to figure it out .. but by the time he did a race.. it was over. :bang:

banacek
08-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Anyone have a copy of Farran's "Thoroughbred Handicapping; A Textbook"? Most of his stuff was short 20-30 pages, but this one was 170 pages. Can't find it on abebooks.

If anyone has it and is interested in selling it, PM me. Thanks.

traveler
08-27-2008, 10:46 AM
If it is the same guy, and I assume it is, he also had a phone service where he would release one or two plays a day. Real chalk and advocated to play to place. My dad tried it and it was good, but if you missed a day or two or couldn't get a bet down with a bookie it could take your positive expectation and turn it negative. Real blast from the past.