PDA

View Full Version : Another computer-moron question

toetoe
02-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Anybody know why things that showed up on my old computer are now blank, with little boxes, every one with a red 'x' inside, on my new e-machine? Shouldn't I be able to download, upgrade, sidewind, oversteer, fold, spindle or otherwise mutilate my way to full images?

Computerwise Nescient One

Dave Schwartz
02-15-2005, 10:24 PM
shortcuts that are no longer valid, I would assume.

Dave

toetoe
02-15-2005, 10:51 PM
Makes sense, Dave, but consider this. Radio over the web, tune playing right now is identified; kind of convenient if you're wondering, "Who is that singing?" Old computer, no problem. New computer, blank, 'x'-ed out boxes. Too coincidental to be the station's discontinuing the practice in the few days it took to hook up new machine. It's just two lines of data, right?

By the way, the cable co. gave me a disk that got me up and running online, and called back today to see how I'm doing. Service like that I could get used to. Very solicitous.

If this post is more sensical than my usual output, it's because I'm not all here right now. I'm totally subsumed in the Kentucky Derby site. It's fun to see footage and know my recollections were pretty accurate, and if not, fun to learn the real story. 1983 Derby was a hellacious field. I knew it was Sunny's Halo and Desert Wine, but forgot DW was trained by JERRY FANNING! Hasn't won many since.

Quick trivia: Name DWLukas' 5 entrants in 1996 KD. You'll never get the 5th one. I think one was transferred to his barn fairly late.

JustRalph
02-15-2005, 11:09 PM
make sure you have the latest version of flash and shockwave installed. Sometimes those little graphics are actually flash files or shockwave apps........new computers don't usually come with shockwave and flash installed. If you are running xp w/service pack 2 you might even be blocking the "online on the fly install" that used to happen when you got a new computer.

toetoe
02-15-2005, 11:45 PM
Ralph,
I did flashplayer, not the other. I'll try it. Much obliged.

toetoe
02-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Microsoft lost the rights to Java technology, somehow. So, my LATER version of Windows XP doesn't have all bells, whistles. Was able to download it manually, after all.

Thanks for input.