PDA

View Full Version : Pardon my ignorance - What's a Quarter Crack?

Glitchy
02-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Baffert's "best" TC horse did not run due to a "quarter crack".

Please excuse my noviceness (if that's a word) cuz I am somewhat new to the sport, but "enquiring minds want to know"....What's a "quarter crack"

I await not only your explanation, but the obligatory scathing posts about what an idiot I am because I did not know the answer (actually that doesn't happen as much on PA's site :) ).

Glitchy

Tom
02-14-2005, 11:33 PM
It is the guy who takes the snap from center. Donavan McNabe is a quater-crack. :D

Seriously, it a small crack in the hoof that spreads slightly when the horse puts pressure on it, causing pain. It can be fixed by trimming and filling with epoxy like material.

BillW
02-15-2005, 01:25 AM
Quarter Crack? I thought that was a new line of Jeans from Old Navy :eek:.

Dan Montilion
02-15-2005, 01:43 AM
Can be purchased at 5th and Mission in Frisco.

Dan Montilion

karlskorner
02-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Is a vertical split in the wall of the hoof which results from a dry or brittle hoof or improper shoeing. Takes about 12 months for growth of new toe, the heel grows in less than half that time. Plastic patches have produced good results in some cases

betchatoo
02-15-2005, 10:14 AM
It's what you get for $25 from a hundred dollar hooker

PaceAdvantage
02-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Enough already. Not all of you were born to be a comedian....

rrbauer
02-15-2005, 10:24 AM
How would we know without providing the opportunity?

PaceAdvantage
02-15-2005, 10:35 AM
That's what off-topic is for....

CryingForTheHorses
02-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Baffert's "best" TC horse did not run due to a "quarter crack".

Please excuse my noviceness (if that's a word) cuz I am somewhat new to the sport, but "enquiring minds want to know"....What's a "quarter crack"

I await not only your explanation, but the obligatory scathing posts about what an idiot I am because I did not know the answer (actually that doesn't happen as much on PA's site :) ).

Glitchy

I was waiting for some different response as I semm to chase everyone away!
I will define this for you
If you take a horse's bare hoof and clean it you will see a white line on the outer part of his hoof then you see a darker hoof which is what you see when he walks.When the hoof wall separates from this white line which is called the lamina you will get a very sore horse,When you have this at the heel and it goes to the coronet band it can be very painfill.Its like you losing a toenail. A horse can also get split toes cause from improper care of the foot and its something that can be very painful if it was to get infected..Yes they have a ton of horses that run with the patch and it does help them very much.Hope this helps

DJofSD
02-15-2005, 09:33 PM
It should be added that a good farrier can help with the treatment but the ultimate cure is time and mother nature.

DJofSD

kenwoodallpromos
02-16-2005, 12:30 AM
How much time off between works/races for horses with quarter cracks?
I think they tried to run Skipaway with a crack then laid him off for awhile.

toetoe
02-16-2005, 09:04 AM
Dan Montilion,
What's a farrier?

BIG RED
02-16-2005, 10:52 AM
Good name for a blacksmith.

DJofSD
02-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Blacksmith - the person that trims the hoofs and tacks on the shoes.

DJofSD

Glitchy
02-16-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the informative (and somewhat comedic posts).

Don;t give up your Day Jobs, folks (particularly if it's betting horses)

Hey Dan - I'll be in San Fran in 3 weeks. Can you take me to 5th and Mission??:D

Dan Montilion
02-16-2005, 11:32 PM
Glitchy... Just follow the shopping carts and bodily fluids aroma. Sorry, not supposed to attempt to be humorus. Actually I was born a comedian, however I have as of yet been unable to prove it to anybody.

Dan Montilion

QuarterCrack
02-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Did somebody call me??
;)

BIG RED
02-18-2005, 01:45 AM
LOL ! :D