PDA

View Full Version : The State of Thoroughbred Racing

TrackManSam
02-14-2005, 08:42 PM
I really have enjoyed reading this site and all the insights and tips. This is the best horse racing board I've been to.

After reading all the negatives and positives over the past few months, I have a very simple question. What currently is the state of thoroughbred racing? If you had to give a state of the union address, what would you say?

Personally, I would say its mixed. Horse racing yearns for its next superstar. A horse that will capture the imagination of fans who need to be re-introduced to the sport in some manner. The problems with NYRA need to be addressed. The integrity of the sport needs to be addressed. Live attendance needs to increase at tracks across the country. Its time to assess how slots and full card simulcasting has affected the sport. There are some great minds here and I would love to see what you guys have to say about it.

Thanks

RaceTrackSam

www.ventyourfrustration.com (http://www.ventyourfrustration.com/)

kenwoodallpromos
02-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Racing is too unsable right now for the reasons you named, plus big shots maneuvering to get an advantage.
We need more honesty from the racing industry and its components instead of various people and entities just worrying about covering their ass.
Tracks are noty progressing to keep up with technology or the times and then itm is like the offshores where thewy play favorites and try to stupidly protect their "turf" (like Magna and CD group).

toetoe
02-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Track,
I disagree. The "superstars" distract from the thousands of little guys that propel the game. Kinda like the $2 bettor used to do.
The same old problem persists of too much racing. People would bet every race if they were offered twenty per card per track. Even with eight per day, California can barely rise above county-fair level.

ratpack
02-14-2005, 10:09 PM
Calif suffers from no tracks and no slots. Check out the number of tracks back east, trainers are more inclined to stable back there and even van to Mnr to run in a race rather than work out.

Glitchy
02-15-2005, 12:18 AM
Go to your local track. At least here in Tampa, as much as I would like to "glamorize" our sport, the venue still has the ambiance of a "dog track". A lot of people betting who shouldn't be (though they may be our biggest money source, how ironic).

The sport has always been portrayed as a "last chance" for the Jimmy Dean's of the world (sorry if this reference is to young for some of you) to be somebody.

What it has become, however, is quite different from the public perception. Just look at our group here. Is this a bunch of morons who are trying to make the rent? Hell No!!! We got number crunchers, hunch players, database slaves, and guys like Schultz, CJ et al who have written seminal words on this sport (I know I've left out a lot of other contributers - forgive me I'm a bit of a newbie to this format). There works are prescient, to say the least. In short, the so-called "betting public" ain't that dumb.....

The problem is out there. My wife (a lovely woman) tolerates my addiction, but will not join it! That says a lot to me. We are not hitting the mark in order to track the people we really want (fish). We're battling each other, but it would sure be easier if we could bring new folks in like Texas HE managed to do.

But mention horse racing to a non-participant and you instantly join that group of "desparate gamblers'.

In short, we have an identity crisis of magnanimous proportions........

Glitchy

Tote Master
02-15-2005, 02:36 AM
Many have touched upon some very interesting and relevant topics of discussion regarding this game. If I had to pick a single subject about the “state of thoroughbred racing” I would have to say that the use of drugs, medication (whatever you want to call it) is certainly having what I believe to be a detrimental effect on the entire industry.

I’ve been spoiled by the decade of the 70’s when perhaps the greatest animals displayed their speed and stamina. It was a time of very limited legal drug use and New York racing seemed committed to keeping it that way. How things have changed! Now the use of Lasix is actually considered a handicapping factor. How ironic!

I’m not a biologist or geneticist, but from where I stand I truly believe that the use of all these drugs can only impact the breed in one way. I have no way of knowing exactly how drugs effect the genetic make-up of these great animals. I can only relate it to what we’ve seen in how it effects humans. I certainly don’t see these animals going any faster or enduring any real race campaigns. In fact, it seems to be going in the opposite direction (even with the drugs).

I’m not really focusing on the lower classed horses, although they get their fair share of drugs for whatever ails them. I’m more concerned with the breeding stock. After all, they will produce what we’ll see running in the future. I hate to paint a dismal picture, but I’m really beginning to wonder if we’ll ever see any true champions or even a Triple Crown winner again. I suspect that if we do it will come from a breeder outside the U.S. where drug use is less prevalent. Or perhaps it will be similar to last years crop where it wasn’t that the main contender was that good, it was just that the others were that bad.

I believe the entire racing industry has become very short sighted. They seem to want everything now, and to hell with the future. I’m really surprised that breeders don’t come forward and raise their own concerns. They have to know what’s going on! I for one would welcome hearing someone’s comments that has some real insight into the effects of long term drug use on these animals, especially on the breeding aspect.

Just my opinion.

CryingForTheHorses
02-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Racing today isnt like it was back in the 70's and 80's.When I learned my skill I learned from old timers! I have seen guys walking horses for a month and the next thing you know their training horses.They arent horseman period!! Another thing very wrong is how the small guy cant get stalls even know there are tons of them on backsides.They have been alloted to the big guys. The small guys fills most of the claiming races and is very much needed in racing.Another thing wrong is the amount of drugs going thu these horses, If you or I took as many drugs as some of these horses..you would be a wack case..So I guess most of these horses are really drug addicts!
I am horrified at what I see today with the way people are handling the horse,Lots of the help dont have a clue! They mishandle animals and get them hurt and the trainer is nowhere to be found! A trainer with a lot of horses loses touch with his stable and undoubtly the horses suffer.What is needed is the old school approach to the teaching of the horseman. Todays horseman relies too much on the vet and nothing on his knowledge.I have seen trainers with large stables NEVER ever look at their horses, They rely on their help.Horse racing will continue to decline because of the money gets in the way of the horse.