PDA

View Full Version : Maryland - Duke

cj
02-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Another great game between these two last night. I'm a little groggy from staying up for the 3am tipoff, but it was well worth it, and not just because the Terps beat Duke for the 3rd time in a row. What was really impressive last night was the high scoring despite tenacious defense. Memo to the NBA, it can be done!

sq764
02-13-2005, 09:53 AM
I actually watched that, what a fantastic game...

To me, the NBA's got nothing on the intensity of a top college game.. It's nice to see kids busting their asses for 40 minutes and not loafing down the court.. I think that is why I hate the NBA so much..

Suff
02-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Another great game between these two last night. I'm a little groggy from staying up for the 3am tipoff, but it was well worth it, and not just because the Terps beat Duke for the 3rd time in a row. What was really impressive last night was the high scoring despite tenacious defense. Memo to the NBA, it can be done!

I saw the Highlights on ESPN Late Last Night. I was thinking of you because I know your a Big TERPS fan. I basicially have to be laid up with a Broken leg and Typhoid fever to watch a College Basketball Game.. But I was Happy for you when I saw the big win. Congratulations.

Staying on the Subject of "You". I was with Larry Collmus on Wed. . He Starts is new Job as Aqueducts race caller this week. Your name came up. He starting Reminescing about old times and mentioned how you went down to Birmingham to hear him call his first race. Then he told me about how You came up to Suffolk with him in 1992 when he called his first race here, and you guys found your way over to Wonderland that Night. He thinks the world of you and I told him I'd mention our talk when I spoke with you next.

He got lucky and grabbed a Furnished Place on 57th in Manhattan. He's renting from another guy you know.. a race caller.. he told me his name but I forget. But he's more anxious and excited about living in Manhattan than his New Job at Aqueduct. Aqueducts old hat to him by now... :cool:

SUFF

cj
02-13-2005, 11:29 AM
I don't talk to Larry anymore, he says he is a converted Red Sox fan, which is unacceptable! :p:p

Seriously though, he is the reason I am a racing fan now. He's also the reason I'm still working on a college degree to this day.

We went to high school and hung out together quite a bit. I was in the computer lab, and he stopped by and started asking me about making a racing program. The next thing I know, we have numbers racing around the monitor, complete with odds and jockeys, and people watching and betting. Needless to say, the Brother who taught me computer science wasn't very happy with my application of his teachings! Later, we both attended Loyola in Baltimore, though we could be found at Pimlico more often than in class, so that only lasted a year. I did win him a bet when he introduced me to Marty McGee. Hard to imagine now, but I was a skinny, not very tall kid as a junior in high school. Larry told Marty I could take him one on one in basketball, Marty didn't believe him, but it was never close, LOL.

I remember the Birmingham trip very well. We saw Lost Code win the Alabama Derby. I also remember the betting age was 21, and we ran into some difficulties cashing a few tickets, though we never seemed to have trouble betting!:confused: Dave Johnson was there, and Chris Lincoln kept asking another friend of ours where to get more chicken wings at the after the races party.

Here is one for Mel, Larry used to get ticked when myself and another friend of ours would bet harness, so we would sneak off and play Big M or Garden State harness. Then one time, we start celebrating when we catch a $200 exacta, and he gets mad we didn't tell him what we were betting!

Suff
02-13-2005, 11:34 AM
I
I r: Dave Johnson was there,

I Think thats the guy he's renting from believe it or not.