PDA

View Full Version : Prices way, way up for '05 Belmont Stakes

Doc
02-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Read this and weep, racing fans. It probably pays to stay home or just to bet the race at a simulcast outlet.... :mad:

By JERRY BOSSERT
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

It's more for less at this year's Belmont Stakes as the New York Racing Association has raised prices for the June 11 Belmont Stakes and also banned bringing in alcohol.

Ticket prices, which include admission, will range from $20 to $110. Last year the top ticket, including admission, was just $45.

General admission was $2 but now will be $10. Clubhouse admission jumped from $5 to $20.

Coolers still will be allowed in the backyard area as long as they contain no alcohol or glass containers.

The move to ban alcohol, according to the NYRA, is in the interest of patron safety and an attempt to make sure that people drink responsibly.

There were plenty of fights in the backyard at last year's Belmont.

Belmont still will be serving alcohol to those who want to purchase it, but many will be proofed to eliminate underage drinking. Beers at Belmont range from $4.50 to $5.25.

Seats for the final leg of the Triple Crown will be offered through a lottery. Applications for seats now are available on line at www.nyra.com and those who ordered seats last year will receive applications in the mail. Applications must be postmarked by Feb. 28 in order to receive the highest priority for seat assignment. "We had a record 120,139 people attend the Belmont Stakes last year, when Birdstone stopped Smarty Jones from becoming racing's 12th Triple Crown winner," said NYRA president and CEO Charles Hayward. "It is hard to imagine a 2005 Belmont that could rival (that) excitement ... so we are expecting attendance to be lower this year. But the Belmont Stakes experience will be more comfortable and enjoyable ..."

cj
02-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Wow, those are some pretty steep increases. It won't matter if there is a horse with a shot at the Triple Crown, but otherwise...

The Hawk
02-12-2005, 06:08 PM
I was thinking the same thing, CJ. If they get a Derby/Preakness winner it's a home run but otherwise this could backfire. It is an overdue move, though. They were selling themselves short at the old prices.

the little guy
02-12-2005, 06:46 PM
But the tickets will already be sold so it won't matter if there's a TC horse or not. And, as far as the admission prices, I really doubt many ( if any ) people won't go because they think the admission is too high. Mostly, people have been shocked at low it is.

Bubbles
02-12-2005, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=Doc]The move to ban alcohol, according to the NYRA, is in the interest of patron safety and an attempt to make sure that people drink responsibly.

There were plenty of fights in the backyard at last year's Belmont. [QUOTE]

I can attest to both. During one incident, two drunkards, couldn't have been much more than 20, were mock-wrestling, and almost knocked over a very-pregnant woman. Idiots, and a good move by management.

Back on topic, I agree with those who say it's gonna be huge or non-existant for Belmont. Figure 100,000 for a TC chance, not even a third that for a non-TC year. Big gap, to say the least.

The Hawk
02-12-2005, 10:10 PM
True, TLG, but I was referring to the walk-up. I think you'll lose a lot of the casual younger fans who would go as as a group and make a day of it for $2 but who will balk at the $10. I think that, combined with the new alcohol policy (also overdue but kudos to Hayward), will cut attendance figures, but it's debatable how much those fans will be missed, in more ways than one.

the little guy
02-12-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure I agree. $10 is just so little these days. hell, that's what it costs to go to the movies.

I also agree about the booze. It is kind of funny coming from Charlie, however.

the little guy
02-12-2005, 10:30 PM
And yer right, I sure wouldn't miss them. And let's face it, if they were paying $2 a pop, the gain with the new prices will much more than make up for the loss, even if it's 20,000.

GeTydOn
02-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Anyone know Derby & Preakness pricing for interesting comparison?? These prices are probably fair. Just seems startling because it's been so cheap for so long. Can't really blame them for the price adjustment. There have been so many Derby-Preakness winners lately. And based on trainer patterns that trend seems it could become the norm. Seriously doubt people are going to walk away from the gates or not go. Big events are big money. That's our society. It's basic supply and demand. As for the alcohol rule: Can't blame them on that either after last year's disgraceful behavior from the bad apples.

the little guy
02-12-2005, 10:38 PM
I know it's been at least $20 to get in the infield at Churchill for years. The seat prices are outrageous. The best seats at Pimlico are $275 or $225. I can't remember what admission at Pimlico is ( it's actually included with your seat if you have one ) but I think it's $15 or $20.

GeTydOn
02-12-2005, 10:44 PM
For Churchill infield is that a $20 infield fee plus gate admission? And what about parking at these tracks on their Triple Crown days?

The Hawk
02-12-2005, 10:58 PM
I belive infield admission at the Derby is up to around $35 or $40, which includes the gate. I think Pimlico is indeed $15, but I can't remember..

The last few years that there hasn't been a TC bid the attendance has been in the 30-40,000 range, I believe. If there's no TC bid this year I think we may see an even lower figure, given the changes. But you're probably right, TLG, the extra fees will very likely make up the difference. Again, if there is a TC bid, it's a home run and it's well-deserved, given the magnitude of the event.

Figman
02-12-2005, 11:11 PM
What are you guys smokin????
http://tinyurl.com/3rocb

NYRA is still a great bargain for "an event"

Tom
02-12-2005, 11:25 PM
I felt like I was raped paying $3 to get into Saratoga!
Paying admission to a racetrack is just...so......RIDICULOUS!
:rolleyes:

Observer
02-13-2005, 12:02 AM
When Commendable won the Belmont Stakes in 2000, when there was NO Triple Crown on the line, the attendance at Belmont Park was 67,810.

When Point Given won the Belmont Stakes in 2001, when there was NO Triple Crown on the line, the attendance at Belmont Park was 73,857.

Those numbers are far cries from 30,000-40,000.

JPinMaryland
02-13-2005, 12:54 AM
First off, not sure what Observer's pt is. They get 60-70,000 for Belmont when no TC on the line. They get 110-120,000 when it is. So obviously that seems to make a difference.

Second. My guess is that the increase price PLUS alcohol ban will keep away a good number. It's just basic economics everyone has a price, I dont think reasoning that its still a good deal or whatever is correct. Bettors are always thinking in terms of dollars, how much is the track take out? what did I spend on parking? should I toss another dollar on Sense of Style? You always want to show a positive return at the track, that's the name of the game. Increasing $8 means I need another 5-1 to hit my $2 bet.

Maybe going to a football game you dont care, you want to see the Redskins okay another $20 for parking, fine I'm down with that.

Third. Are they going to change the parking fees? It was very reasonable last year, I think $10. Keep the parking fees reasonable and this will STILL be the best bargain in town. Do what Dan Snyder (Redskins owner) does (jack up parking and amenities) and people will thumb their nose.

4) Lets face 120,000 is WAY too many fans to have there, TC or on TC. The bathroom lines are absurd. Standing in front of urinal while a female walks by takes a little getting used to.

PaceAdvantage
02-13-2005, 01:46 AM
Observer was responding to the comment that there will be only 30,000 if there is no triple crown on the line. Obviously, recent history has proven that number wrong.

However, I believe the banning of alcohol will severely impact the attendance numbers, MUCH MORE than any trivial raise in admission prices.

Many, MANY young folks make this a yearly event, complete with coolers full of food and beer. Now that BYOB is officially out of the picture, that will have a bigger impact on attendance.

I don't think the impact will be that large at first, because I believe many people will be showing up at Belmont uninformed, with cases of Bud in tow. If you thought they were angry last year when they were drunk, just wait in front of the gate this year when they're told they have to leave the cases of Coors in the car!

andicap
02-13-2005, 02:13 AM
I wonder how much those people who won't show up because of the higher admission and no alcohol actually add to the handle. Are they mostly $2 bettors who play maybe $50 the whole day or do they unwind the rubber band because it's their big day at the track?? (Do they bet more they drunker they get?)

Bottom line: NYRA probably figures it costs them less to control a sober crowd of 60,000-100,000 AND they will likely still retain the biggest bettors who won't be scared away by paying another sawbuck to get in.
AND NYRA will pick up revenue through beer sales as well as the higher admission charges.

Lower costs, more concession sales and higher admission revenues AND you're losing mostly small bettors, most of whom don't return until the next Belmont. Doesn't seem like much of a risk for NYRA to me.

JPinMaryland
02-13-2005, 02:58 AM
Yeah economics wise this is a no brainer. As a fan it might be nicer too, not having to swim through a sea of humanity.

I dont think the guy who said 30,000 is that far off. THere was 7,000 there in Oct when I went to see the Champagne, and the Sight Seek race. There was 4000 at Aqu today. Is the analysis much different than a baseball season? In baseball they have 81 dates, average attend: 15-20,000??

THere are way more baseball fans than horse fans, is 30,000 too low? It would be a decent attend figure for fairly big regular season baseball game.

PaceAdvantage
02-13-2005, 03:53 AM
I dont think the guy who said 30,000 is that far off.

Ya'll may want to go back and read The Hawk's statement again....here it is:

The last few years that there hasn't been a TC bid the attendance has been in the 30-40,000 range, I believe.

Commendable = 67,000+

Point Given = 73,000+

Far cry from 30,000-40,000

Bubbles
02-13-2005, 08:39 AM
The Point Given figure doesn't really jump out at me. There was a Derby winner and a Preakness winner in there. Commendable's Belmont's attendance does surprise me, especially because when you look back, it was probably a fluke race.

IRISHLADSTABLE
02-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Received the brochure last week

Turf Club Tent (Preakness Village) Individual Tk $575.00
Table for 10 people $5,750.00

Turfside Terrace

Black Eyed Susan Day $100.00
Preakness Day $275.00
2 Day Package $350.00

Clubhouse Turn Reserved

Individual Ticket $125.00

Top of the Stretch
Individual Ticket $100.00

I believe when I went to the Ky Derby in 1978 General Admission was $20.00
General Addmission was sitting in the infield sipping Mint Julips .

Getting back to the Subject regarding Belmont Prices increases

I think this is a Good move. It might keep the Non Horse player away
who ordinary would just show up just to say he/she were there.
But the main reason of going is to drink as much alcohol as possible.
Maybe with fewer people and less drunks it will be a more enjoyable
experiencing for the true racing fan.

Jimmy

Suff
02-13-2005, 12:00 PM
I think this is a Good move. It might keep the Non Horse player away
who ordinary would just show up just to say he/she were there.
But the main reason of going is to drink as much alcohol as possible.
Maybe with fewer people and less drunks it will be a more enjoyable
experiencing for the true racing fan.

Jimmy

Need that non-horse player money to juice the pools.

The worlds a big place... Everybodys different. Personally I like being around a Bunch of Mad Dogs Drinking and Gambling. Great Fun.

People getting smashed, Screaming and yelling, Hitting on other peoples Girlfriends, A couple of Brawls... Good stuff. I'm pretty sure that is whats goes on at many College and Professional Sports events during the "Tailgating" phase.

But alas, we're going Red State in America Now. You know, Prim and Proper. Act Right. Cuz if you act Ok, You are Ok. Supposedly.

I say swing open the door, All the hooligans that'll fit. Drink away. Smoke a little Ganja.. Knock around, Have some fun, bet some races.

Note to racing.. Don't do what VEGAS did.. You know that "Family Friendly" angle they played for a few years. When they woke up to the truth of who thier customers were, They did a 180 to the "What happens here stays here"... Now they can't land planes fast enough.

Maybe all us Froot Loops just need to shut it down for a day. Like when Your Aunt comes to Visit and Your Mother tells you in that "Serious" voice. " If you act up while she's here..I'll kill you".. Belmont Day, The Aunt is in the Hizzay...so to speak.

AQUEBUCKS
02-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Race Palace

If you come to NY, you have to check it out. About 20 min. from Belmont Park. Has VIP room that comps your form/program and the'll even comp you Ragozins or TG, not to mention $25 for food. You have to play ($1K) minimum for the day of course. They also have a PC with a printer which I sometimes use to download ITS data when I'm running late. Really nice place.

Aquebucks

Observer
02-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Yes, my point regarding the attendances I posted was in response to Hawk's attendance figures understatement.

Commendable and Point Given were the last two winners of the Belmont when there was no Triple Crown on the line.

The Belmont Stakes has been growing in leaps and bounds as an event probably since around Silver Charm. Of course, having had so many Triple Crown possiblilities coming into the Belmont Stakes since that time has been a boost at showing just what a fun day it can be.

1989: Easy Goer vs. Sunday Silence 64,959
1995: Tabasco Cat 37,171 (no Triple Crown possibility)
1997: Silver Charm 70,682
1999: Charismatic 85,818
2000: Commendable 67,810 (no TC possibility)
2001: Point Given 73,857 (no TC possibility)
2002: War Emblem 103,222
2003: Funny Cide 101,864 (horrendous weather conditions)
2004: Smarty Jones 120,139

andicap
02-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Race Palace

If you come to NY, you have to check it out. About 20 min. from Belmont Park. Has VIP room that comps your form/program and the'll even comp you Ragozins or TG, not to mention $25 for food. You have to play ($1K) minimum for the day of course. They also have a PC with a printer which I sometimes use to download ITS data when I'm running late. Really nice place.

Aquebucks

They provide an Internet connection??? Doesn't that mean people could bet races on the PC, saying using a Pinnacle account where they get rebates??

AQUEBUCKS
02-13-2005, 05:32 PM
It was possible the first few months they were open, but the administer has since blocked the gambling sites. I don't go there as often as I used to, things are always changing.

Aquebucks

Figman
02-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Andi,
Internet wagering is illegal in NYS.
Nassau OTB is a NYS licensed public benefit corporation.

AQUEBUCKS
02-14-2005, 09:18 AM
FIGMAN

Is that true? I know a bunch of people that live in NY who use TVG, YOUBET, BRISBET, PINNACLE, ETC... Why then do these companies allow you to open an account after they verify your address??

Aquebucks

Zman179
02-14-2005, 12:35 PM
It's true but it's not enforced. SHHHHHH!

Doc
02-14-2005, 04:37 PM
The bad part about this type of thinking is that, amid all the drunken frivolity and cavorting in Belmont's backyard, there are lots of people who will climb behind the wheels of their cars and attempt to drive home. Recently there was a well-publicized case involving a drunken NY Giants fan who got loaded and then smashed into another car, paralyzing a little girl for life. I think NYRA is right on the mark with its banning outside alcohol - maybe the high price of booze at the track will prevent the majority of people from getting plastered beyond all reason and help save lives.

Doc
02-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I posted the above thread in reference to Suff's post about liking the backyard debauchery at Belmont. Sorry I didn't make it clearer.

Suff
02-15-2005, 01:04 PM
The bad part about this type of thinking is that, amid all the drunken frivolity and cavorting in Belmont's backyard, there are lots of people who will climb behind the wheels of their cars and attempt to drive home. .

In This case, having been there... the Majority take the Long Island RailRoad.

But even if they drove.. they could use a designated Driver.

But anyway.. Lets hope no one gets hurt or killed in the name of good fun.

Tell me.. Would you support a Constitutional Amendment Banning the Consumption of alchohol? Say.. everywhere but in your own home? Or Totally? Or only where Gamblers and Sports fans congregate? Or do you support a "surcharge" on high risk drinkers..

alysheba88
02-15-2005, 01:28 PM
What do people think the attendance figures would be at the Preakness or even Derby without being able to bring in alcohol?

The Derby might be able to hold up okay, although would definitely say they'd draw under six figures, but the Preakness would be lucky to get 15,000.

Do think NYRA is dropping the ball all the way around here. Can see raising general admissions some, although part of the attraction was they would not gouge while others did. Or raising parking. Or raising reserved seats. But not ALL of the above.

Also do not think its right for them to prohibit bringing in alcohol.

They dont mind people drinking and getting hammered. They just want people to do it at $6 a pop.

As far as that case in Giants Stadium, the irony is Belmont is creating similar conditions. The guy who crashed tailgated before the game, and then bought a bunch of beers inside. How is Belmont guarding against that?

Could handle the whole DWI issue by having a bunch of cops around all exit gates and pulling people over at random. People who want to take the train can drink at will, and those that take a car pick a designated driver. Pretty easy solution (but not as profitable for NYRA hence their new rules.

sq764
02-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Beers at Belmont range from $4.50 to $5.25.

HOLY SHIT...

I bitch about beer being $2.75 at Delaware Park... I guess I have it good, relatively speaking

Suff
02-15-2005, 03:23 PM
They dont mind people drinking and getting hammered. They just want people to do it at $6 a pop.

Opening weekend at SaraToga last year,,, Myself and 3 friends drive up Friday Morning.. We don't have the time or comuption to put together a Pic-a-nic basket or cooler with Cold ones. So we stroll into the Jim Dandy bar down the end of the Clubhouse there... Stowm Cadet from PA was there too.. He'll tell you. We were all drinking Heinikens.. 6.00 a Piece. x 4 = 24.00 a round, Times 10 rounds, plus tip equals 300 dollars on Beer in 4 or 5 hours. A couple of Hotdogs apiece, 4 DRF's, A popcorn or two, throw in parking and admission. 5 Hunge... $500.00 not counting the windows. The NFL has nothing on Race Tracks when it comes to the Gouge.

yes I did get smashed, and yes I did start heckling Pat Day about how he can't win in NY, and yes Security did approach me that Mr. Day complained about me. I think that was the same day I hit on Mark Henigs wife.. I forget all the details.

DerbyTrail
02-15-2005, 06:09 PM
What do people think the attendance figures would be at the Preakness or even Derby without being able to bring in alcohol?

Do think NYRA is dropping the ball all the way around here. Can see raising general admissions some, although part of the attraction was they would not gouge while others did. Or raising parking. Or raising reserved seats. But not ALL of the above.

Also do not think its right for them to prohibit bringing in alcohol. They dont mind people drinking and getting hammered. They just want people to do it at $6 a pop.

You can't bring alcohol into the Derby. Alcohol is only allowed into the Pimlico infield. And NYRA is letting people bring in coolers as long as there isn't any glass or alcohol. And frankly, even the coolers should be prohibited.

There is not a sporting venue in the country that allows people to bring in their own alcohol. NONE. It's remarkable that Magna hasn't stopped it in Bal'more...

The situation with the ARAmark lawsuit has a lot to do with NYRA's decision to do this.. Centerplate Concession employees will at least have the opportunity to judge whether they should serve someone now. People coming in ans getting hanmmered on their own hooch could leave, get in an accident and turn around and sue NYRA for letting them get in that condition. Cases have gone against bars that even REFUSED to serve someone who came in drunk, left and got into accidents.

alysheba88
02-15-2005, 06:46 PM
Well thats what I am saying. No drinking and how many go to the Pimlico infield?

I go to 4 tracks for live racing. Saratoga, Belmont, Monmouth and Aqueduct.

The first three are bring all the alcohol you want. All you can carry. The Big A is not as open about it, but thats more because of the season they run. But I still bring stuff in there too.

Again, its all above board at those other tracks. They dont mind in the least and in many ways encourage it with their beautifual picnic areas. So saying no venue allows that is not correct.

Thats one of the great advantages racing offers. You can go to Monmouth with your family. Bring in all the food and drink you want and have a great time for much much much less than any professional sporting event. You see top quality athletes and can see them up close. Who knows you can even win. Its a competitive advantage, why get rid of it.

The whole DWI issue is a complete smokescreen. This decision has nothing to do with that and does not address that issue in any real way at all. Just want you drinking their high priced beer thats all. The policy they are putting in place for the Belmont is exactly the policy that was in place for that Giants game. Except I dont see anything where beer sales are cut off at any time on Belmont day.

Suff
02-15-2005, 06:59 PM
There is not a sporting venue in the country that allows people to bring in their own alcohol. NONE. It's remarkable that Magna hasn't stopped it in Bal'more...

Sport when its convienent and a Gambling event when thats Convienent.

I gamble on Horses. I go to Red Sox Games when I want to watch a sport.

The Reason other Gambling Venues don't allow you to bring alcohol.. is because its Free... as is admission , as is parking, and in many cases , so is Food and Room.

the little guy
02-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Sport when its convienent and a Gambling event when thats Convienent.

I gamble on Horses. I go to Red Sox Games when I want to watch a sport.

The Reason other Gambling Venues don't allow you to bring alcohol.. is because its Free... as is admission , as is parking, and in many cases , so is Food and Room.The Red Sox win one World Series in like 700 years and all of a sudden they're considered a sports team?

Suff
02-15-2005, 08:10 PM
The Red Sox win one World Series in like 700 years and all of a sudden they're considered a sports team?

PA and the Boys have'nt seen me since the SOX won it all... I don't think they'll recognize me... It looks like I'm working out with Steriods.

My Chest is out, My Chin is up, I'm walking Tall!

I'm a World Series Champion.!

Suff
02-15-2005, 08:12 PM
:lol: :ThmbUp: :cool: :D :kiss: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Storm Cadet
02-15-2005, 09:44 PM
The Evil Empire of Mr Steinbrenner is waiting for this year!!!!!

Suff...you been reading Canseco's book ...Your on Steroids? ;)

6 months to Saratoga week! :eek:

Doc
02-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Last year I left the Pimlico after the Preakness about 9:00 p.m. I had parked in the Rodgers Ave. lot, and as I pulled out to go home I saw people that apparently had been in the infield staggering along the side of the road, one guy vomiting, another guy passed out in the grass, etc. Now granted these poor folks weren't driving, but I can guarantee that more than a few drunken souls DID get in their cars and head on down the highway. I've seen the same scene at the Derby many times - once two dames dressed to the hilt wearing three-inch heels fell MANY times in the parking lot GOING TO THEIR CARS! Just think how you would feel if people who had been "just having a good time" at one of these events hit you or someone you loved.

Suff
02-16-2005, 10:46 AM
the road, one guy vomiting, another guy passed out in the grass, etc. .

Did the guy have Tan Slacks on? With a Maroon Winbreaker? If so, I think that was me. Nice to see you again.

sq764
02-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Last year I left the Pimlico after the Preakness about 9:00 p.m. I had parked in the Rodgers Ave. lot, and as I pulled out to go home I saw people that apparently had been in the infield staggering along the side of the road, one guy vomiting, another guy passed out in the grass, etc. Now granted these poor folks weren't driving, but I can guarantee that more than a few drunken souls DID get in their cars and head on down the highway. I've seen the same scene at the Derby many times - once two dames dressed to the hilt wearing three-inch heels fell MANY times in the parking lot GOING TO THEIR CARS! Just think how you would feel if people who had been "just having a good time" at one of these events hit you or someone you loved.
But this happens every night at bars across the country, nothing new..

Doc
02-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Were you the guy vomiting, or the one passed out? If you were the one who was out cold, I bet you woke up without your wallet, 'cause I saw somebody going through your pockets. ;)

Listen, I don't want anybody to think I don't drink or am against drinking...far from it...and maybe it's because I'm getting a little long in the tooth (45), but to me getting f---d up like a lot of people do at big events is foolish.

alysheba88
02-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Doc, if Belmont wanted to address the issue for real they would not allow anyone to bring drinks in, nor would they sell any.

cj
02-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Last year I left the Pimlico after the Preakness about 9:00 p.m. I had parked in the Rodgers Ave. lot, and as I pulled out to go home I saw people that apparently had been in the infield staggering along the side of the road, one guy vomiting, another guy passed out in the grass, etc.

Where is your sense of adventure? Another block, and you could have seen dealers slinging crack and heroine, and maybe even been lucky enough to see someone shot!

Just putting in perspective that getting drunk isn't bad compared to a lot of things people do.

To ban beer to keep people from driving drunk is silly in my opinion. Why don't they ban degenerate gamblers from a Vegas casino? Because they know they will go across the street and lose the money to the competition. Someone who drives drunk doesn't need the Preakness as an excuse.

Suff
02-16-2005, 01:24 PM
Listen, I don't want anybody to think I don't drink or am against drinking...far from it...and maybe it's because I'm getting a little long in the tooth (45), but to me getting f---d up like a lot of people do at big events is foolish.

Doc.. I'm just having fun... Truth be told... NY YEARS Resolution was to hit the gym and layoff the sauce a bit,,

Doc
02-16-2005, 01:28 PM
My NY's resolutions were the same. I was doing pretty well but yesterday I went to Philly Park and saw all these people with cold beers...went home and downed a couple. Felt I deserved it since I only cashed one ticket.

sq764
02-16-2005, 01:47 PM
My NY's resolutions were the same. I was doing pretty well but yesterday I went to Philly Park and saw all these people with cold beers...went home and downed a couple. Felt I deserved it since I only cashed one ticket.
Nothing like Philly Park in the Summer when it's about 80 degrees, sitting in the picnic area with a cooler... Beer in hand, lounging in the fold out chair... Damnit Summer hurry up

Doc
02-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Speaking of Philly Park, the paddock/jocks room will be moved to the Picnic Area side of the grandstand in the very near future. Some type of slots building will be on the current paddock side. Don't know how much that will impact the Picnic area, but it would be a damn shame if they do away with most of it. I love spending an afternoon out there...much better since they've put an outdoor latrine/betting windows/bar there. I remember having to schlep inside every time I wanted something to drink or to make a bet.

The Hawk
02-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Yes, my point regarding the attendances I posted was in response to Hawk's attendance figures understatement.

Commendable and Point Given were the last two winners of the Belmont when there was no Triple Crown on the line.

The Belmont Stakes has been growing in leaps and bounds as an event probably since around Silver Charm. Of course, having had so many Triple Crown possiblilities coming into the Belmont Stakes since that time has been a boost at showing just what a fun day it can be.

1989: Easy Goer vs. Sunday Silence 64,959
1995: Tabasco Cat 37,171 (no Triple Crown possibility)
1997: Silver Charm 70,682
1999: Charismatic 85,818
2000: Commendable 67,810 (no TC possibility)
2001: Point Given 73,857 (no TC possibility)
2002: War Emblem 103,222
2003: Funny Cide 101,864 (horrendous weather conditions)
2004: Smarty Jones 120,139

Yes, I was wrong about the attendance the last few years when no TC was on the line. I guess that 1995 figure was stuck in my head. My apologies.

Again, raising the prices is the right move given the magnitude of the event. That said, the event is not of the the same magnitude if there's no TC on the line. It's a gamble, but the track deserves to reap the rewards of hosting a major sporting event.

As for the beer being brought in: Churchill is vigilant about stopping people from bringing it in, but the more creative folks can get the job done. I could never understand why it is allowed at the Preakness and was tolerated at the Belmont. As the recent case in NJ illustrates, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. What does the track gain from it? Suff and friends are the exception: these are young guys, by and large, who couldn't care less about the racing. To let them drink unlimited quantities of booze on your property -- without profiting from it, no less -- and then go off into the night is mindless.